Options

I Want To Murder Vampire Weekend

edited January 2011 in Strut Central
I think I may have to hunt down and kill every last member of Vampire Weekend, who are responsible for the amazingly shitty ???Holiday??? song in the Honda commercial that has been running every 6 minutes during every football game over the past month or so. I knew the band was one of the planet???s most horrible already but this song was new to me and it gets worse with every listen. These motherfuckers are worse than Oingo Boingo and the B-52s combined.

So does anyone know where they live? I want to get to work right away before the pricks get near another studio.

Also, the NFL is Tom Brady???s league this year and everyone should just acknowledge that right now. Just a spectacular year from the best player in the game.

Comments

• I hate the repetition the song gets as well, but leave The B-52's out of this. They gave us the "Love Shack." And taught us all sixteen dances in "Dance This Mess Around."

• Options
    incompletejigsaw said:
    I hate the repetition the song gets as well, but leave The B-52's out of this. They gave us the "Love Shack." And taught us all sixteen dances in "Dance This Mess Around."

Nope, sorry, I can't leave them out.

I knew punk was dead as soon as I heard the B-52s being played on "punk" radio shows.

These sorts of bands are just former "Glee" kids gone pro, no matter the generation.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    BobDesperado said:

So does anyone know where they live? I want to get to work right away before the pricks get near another studio.

I am sure you can find all of the band members living in lofts in Williamsburg, BK. One of the worst bands ever. Terrible.

• I think that their music videos keep me distracted enough with enough background activity to make me forget how much I'm not a huge fan of theirs. Oxford Comma was a nice video, though, with a little tribute to Goddard's "Weekend".

• someone say "paul simon"

• vintageinfants said:
    someone say "paul simon"

When I first heard them with that song "A-Punk," I realized they were trying to copy Simon in his "Graceland" era, but it just comes off wrong. OH SO WRONG.

• Options
    incompletejigsaw said:
    I think that their music videos keep me distracted enough with enough background activity to make me forget how much I'm not a huge fan of theirs. Oxford Comma was a nice video, though, with a little tribute to Goddard's "Weekend".

I think "some of their videos don't suck" is one of the worst defenses that can be made for a band. Really, who cares? If the music sucks it doesn't matter.

• BobDesperado said:
    incompletejigsaw said:
    I think that their music videos keep me distracted enough with enough background activity to make me forget how much I'm not a huge fan of theirs. Oxford Comma was a nice video, though, with a little tribute to Goddard's "Weekend".

I think "some of their videos don't suck" is one of the worst defenses that can be made for a band. Really, who cares? If the music sucks it doesn't matter.

But will you admit that you found the video to be "visually" entertaining?!

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    I want to HUG vampire weekend

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    although I want to hug Dirty Projectors even more

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I'll take that Vampire Weekend song any day over that twee pop group in the Hyundai commercials, which make me feel awkward for an unknown reason -- lady in that band could almost be cute, if she didn't seem so stiff.

• white_tea said:
    I'll take that Vampire Weekend song any day over that twee pop group in the Hyundai commercials, which make me feel awkward for an unknown reason -- lady in that band could almost be cute, if she didn't seem so stiff.

Reindeers don't have paws! They have hooves for fucks sake!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If I owned a gun I would have shot my TV screen ala Elvis Presley the first time I heard that Honda commercial....suck isn't a strong enough word.

• I remember telling my wife that at least the Vampire Weekend ads (at one point it was running concurrently in a Honda AND a Target ad -- they double sold the fucker! either no exclusivity in the licensing or they fucked some ad men over) would be out of rotation after the 25th.

Last night I wondered aloud what a slowed down jazzy twee Holiday version by those Hyundai indie YouTube people would sound like.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    white_tea said:

Lamest shit evar.

And all I have to say is thank the lord for NFL Red Zone. If I happen to be watching a full game (ie Steelers) I switch over to the commercial free red Zone and avoid what I call "Save by Zero Syndrome".

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    jesus you guys all sound like parents.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    white_tea said:

I was waiting for someone to bring up these fucking annoying ads. The fact that they're still running AFTER Xmas is insult to injury:

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    what irks me is the ''african', musical connection VampWeek pretends to represent

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I don't like that song much, but I'm not mad at Vampire Weekend.

Now this ad creeps me the fuck out.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    speaking of terrible covers
    check out euroman's version of AYO technology
    as heard on my radio non-stop

Woimsah said:
    jesus you guys all sound like parents.

You sound deaf!

• Options
    mannybolone said:
    white_tea said:

I was waiting for someone to bring up these fucking annoying ads. The fact that they're still running AFTER Xmas is insult to injury:

I agree. Whenever the "creepy girl who stares at you" came on it was like a car wreck on the highway for anyone watching the game, followed of course by "at least they'll be gone after the holidays". Doesn't exactly make me want to run out and buy a Hyundai.

They were mentioned on here as soon as the ads started running, someone had a good line about how he was watching football with some friends and was met with blank stares when he said something like "I can't believe that couple that does indie rock covers on youtube is on a hyundai commercial"...crickets. I still hadn't seen the ads at that point and had no idea what he was talking about, until later that day. Now I feel like I should charge the two of them some rent.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    white_tea said:

seriously. THIS makes me violent. a lot commercials make me violent these days. especially when they try to be funny. they try so hard to be outrageous or ironic. like all the commercials that take place in an office now. they all try to outdry eachother.

Like this makes no fukkin sense at all and is not funny at all.

It's a corny commercial -- a lot of these smug hipster commercials are annoying.

But hating on Vampire Weekend seems a little ridiculous and mad parental. On some Get Off My Lawn Don shit.

First album had some great material on it, and sounding like Paul Simon, IMO, ain't really a bad thing. There's a lot worse people to imitate.

The new album wasn't as good as the first, but they've made some ridiculously good songs -- super summery. This whole "I can't stand it! What these kids are listening to nowadays -- sheesh!". Mad parental. But what's surprising is that this is the group being ragged on -- some kids who can actually play and have some relatively different sounding stuff compared to what's out there. Out of all the music in the mainstream zeitgeist, just surprised to see so much ire being directed at them.

This track still gets burn on my ipod.

Could do a lot worse, if you ask me.

Woimsah said:
    But hating on Vampire Weekend seems a little ridiculous and mad parental. On some Get Off My Lawn Don shit.

First album had some great material on it, and sounding like Paul Simon, IMO, ain't really a bad thing. .

Now THAT sounds like MY parents...they love them some Paul Simon and they're in their 70's.

I don't know enough about the band to make an overall comment but that "Holiday" Honda commercial is one of the most annoying sounds I've heard in a long while.

• what does "mad parental" mean really....its coming off as "if you dont like this, then you are out of touch"...since when does thinking a certain music isnt good being "out of touch" among people who are obviously music freaks. Its one thing for a person with 14 CDs on their shelf not liking a certain music because it isnt like the 14 CDs they have on their shelf being close minded, but when you start throwing this "mad parental" phrase around towards people with thousands of records and who listen to a lot of music it comes off as you being butthurt because you happen to think this band is good when a bunch of others think they are crap.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Woimsah said:

First album had some great material on it, and sounding like Paul Simon, IMO, ain't really a bad thing. There's a lot worse people to imitate.

Name them.

edit - oh the irony.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    pomplamoose looks like that obnoxious couple that starts a knitting and board game night on thursdays at a shitty over priced dive bar.

i remarked to the girlie the other day that it was pretty amazing that the vampire weekend honda holiday commercials were tolerable in comparison to the god damned hyundai commercials.

bassie said:
    Woimsah said:

Name them.

edit - oh the irony.

what does this mean? I'm interpreting this as there's not much worse than Paul Simon?

And as to what I mean by "mad parental" -- having 1000s of records doesn't mean some people aren't echoing what they may have heard growing up. I can totally see what you're saying my comments seeming "butthurt", as I do like some of their music, but mainly I was just sort of reviewing the comments that had been made up to that point and it all came across as mad grandpa-ish. "Turn down that racket!" Maybe was just the way I was reading into it, however it definitely felt as though there was some old guy stee being rocked. All good, I resign.