awkward christmas gifts

frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Got any?

My Mum's husband (who is almost 80) has painted 2 massive hanging canvases for me and my girlfriend - one is a portrait of my Girl, who he adores (nothing suspect). They are massive (about a meter and a half wide each), and I'm not really feeling them..

I've already got 4 of his painting around my house - 2 of which I really like, and the other 2 I'm impartial about.

It's a real tough one as he has obviously made this huge effort, and I really do appreciate the thought and effort - But I really don't want to hang them up in my house. I'm not feeling the style of painting, nor do I want my house turned into a gallery of his works.

He is a quite talented artist - But with an unusual abstract style that is really an acquired taste. I do like a lot of his work, but definitely not these new additions.

Luckily they live about 12 hours away, and don't get to my house all that often. The thought of having to hide the paintings somewhere, then hang them up in the lounge room when they visit is something I want to avoid.

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    post pictures.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    No, you don't have to hang them

F**k him

People who presume to dictate how you will decorate your home by giving you these types of gifts are extremely rude

• faux_rillz said:
    People who presume to dictate how you will decorate your home by giving you these types of gifts are extremely rude

I will admit to no small amount of asshurt upon entering your home and scanning your walls in vain for the Cash Money tapestry I sent you.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts