coffee crew what up?

AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
not 1 but 2 espresso machines have died. please suggest your home steez, machine you would buy for the personal everyday enjoyment and warm cozy ritual of making a perfect cappuccino or a beautiful americano?? gaggia? koala? francisfrancis? bialetti? drip coffee is too much for my stomach, how about you.... thank you for any recommendations SoulStrut. coffee snobs stand up... can't keep up this daily thing of going out and buying stumptown cortados every day now that it's cold.

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    My cheapo sunbeam espresso machine is a peice of shit - apparently it fused the seal onto the main part of the whateveritis and now I can't open it to clean it out and it's fucked. I gotta buy me a new one too and I'm interested to know what machines others recommend... and that I can get here in Oz!

I think I've spend at least as much on coffee as a replacement machine would have cost me over the last 3 months!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I have this one. $300+ new off of ebay. I dig it for the money. Would get it again.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    not 1 but 2 espresso machines have died. please suggest your home steez, machine you would buy for the personal everyday enjoyment and warm cozy ritual of making a perfect cappuccino or a beautiful americano?? gaggia? koala? francisfrancis? bialetti? drip coffee is too much for my stomach, how about you.... thank you for any recommendations SoulStrut. coffee snobs stand up... can't keep up this daily thing of going out and buying stumptown cortados every day now that it's cold.

A to the K: This is a bit left-field but if you're a single-serve gal and aren't in dire need of steamed milk, try this: http://www.singleservecoffee.com/archives/004326.php

I bought it on the strength of reader and site reviews and it operates on the same basic principle as an espresso machine (but this is done by hand): forcing pressurized hot water through coffee grounds (and a paper filter). There's also an element of french press, insofar as you briefly (20 seconds or so) stir the hot water and grounds together but it's far less time than a typical french press (which has a tendency to over-extract). What you get are 1-4 espresso-style shots of coffee which I usually turn into an Americano.

At heart, I'm a pour-over, single cup drinker; I just like the process because it's simple and straightforward and the Aeropress is fussier in comparison. But most weeks, I'll use both in equal amounts. The Aeropress is only about $30, which is an additional bonus.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I use a fully automatic Jura Capresso. Fully automatic is nice. It grinds, tamps, brews, then dumps the grounds into a bin. All you need to do is keep the water tank and beans bin full, then dial in how much and how strong you want to brew. After 15 or so brews you have to clean out the spent grounds. It has a water filter in the tank and then every couple months you have to replace the filter and run a cleaning cycle with a cleaning tablet through the system.

Here is an example of the Jura Capresso. Mine is older and not being manufactured now but this is pretty close:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Jura-Capresso-C3000-Coffee-Espresso-Cappuccino-Maker-NR-/370469410013?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item5641b294dd

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    the francis francis posted above is my weapon of choice, but if i had a few extra hundred lying around to waste on another coffee machine i would buy the http://ranciliosilvia.com.au/ its probably as close to a industrial you will get for under a $1000, bw the grinder is of equal importance

Damn DL... that machine looks awesome. Just having a read about it on the site makes me think I might have to cop it.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    Damn DL... that machine looks awesome. Just having a read about it on the site makes me think I might have to cop it.

It's on sale!
    http://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/shop/p/rancilio-silvia/

• On the Rancilio Silvia / Rocky combo. I bought the pair with one of my first "real job" paychecks out of college and have been using it ever since without a single problem (6+ years now). My only complaint is the warm up time on the Silvia is a little long and then pulling a blank shot, etc, to get everything ready makes it tough to get a good double or ristretto when you're just home grabbing lunch or something. The Rocky is a great grinder, but since I use it for course grind (press/chemex) and espresso I have to clean it out pretty often. No comments on the steaming ability of the Silvia, I don't fuck with the milk in my coffee.

If you don't have a good local roaster (I don't, small town) check into roasting your own beans. I use a hot air popper and green beans from Sweet Maria's or a friend's co-op orders and it's made a huge difference and usually ends up cheaper per pound for better quality. Although it makes for really shitty mornings when you discover you forgot to roast a batch over the weekend.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Breville cafe roma is the shit
    super unexpensive but makes amazing crema
    my friend has an italian father who wanted a new machine and seemed not convinced (machine not italian and not baller)
    he loves it and swears by it
    i've had it for a few years and could not be happier

Is coffee-making the beverage equivalent of audiophile products?

b/w

What's a decent sub-$100 grinder? Blade or burr?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Is coffee-making the beverage equivalent of audiophile products?

b/w

What's a decent sub-$100 grinder? Blade or burr?

Definitely go with the burr grinder. The grind is much more consistent.

Cuisinart CBM18 should be under a 100, never use a blade they are great for herbs and weed, but no good for coffee

• I've had a quick mill 2835 for three years now and it has been working like a charm.
    If you already have a good grinder you might want to safe a few hundred bucks and
    check out one of the smaller models but either way I can vouch for the machine.
    It's one of the best investments I have made and I just can't imagine going back..

JehovWet said:

My only complaint is the warm up time on the Silvia is a little long and then pulling a blank shot, etc, to get everything ready makes it tough to get a good double or ristretto when you're just home grabbing lunch or something.

Wait... what?

How long does it take to get ready, and do I have to do a dummy run before I make a cup?

Yes, I'm pretty lazy!

• Kinetic said:

Wait... what?

How long does it take to get ready, and do I have to do a dummy run before I make a cup?

Yes, I'm pretty lazy!

That's just a personal complaint because I piss away a good chunk of my lunch time stopping at thrifts on the way home so I'm in a big rush to actually eat and get out. My shot takes probably about 10 minutes of total time to let the boiler/brass get warm then do a blank shot to heat the demitasse/portafilter/grouphead quickly. If you just flick it on and wait it's probably close to 30 minutes before everything's uniformly warm, plus the cups on the warming top. If you wait for that then there's no need to do a blank shot. Definite first world problems bitching.

This dude's got it down to like 5 minutes though: http://www.coffeekid.com/archived/rancilio/cheatsilvia

• Options
    JehovWet said:
    Kinetic said:

Wait... what?

Yes, I'm pretty lazy!

That's just a personal complaint because I piss away a good chunk of my lunch time stopping at thrifts on the way home so I'm in a big rush to actually eat and get out. My shot takes probably about 10 minutes of total time to let the boiler/brass get warm then do a blank shot to heat the demitasse/portafilter/grouphead quickly. If you just flick it on and wait it's probably close to 30 minutes before everything's uniformly warm, plus the cups on the warming top. If you wait for that then there's no need to do a blank shot. Definite first world problems bitching.

This dude's got it down to like 5 minutes though: http://www.coffeekid.com/archived/rancilio/cheatsilvia

I have the Silvia/Rocky combo as well, have had it for a year now. Some mornings I turn it on and let it heat up while I go and do other stuff, others I do the trick mentioned in the link above. It works great, I haven't had any problems though admittedly I skip the entire process altogether sometimes and go to Starbucks.

I skip the entire process altogether sometimes and go to Starbucks.

Ha, this is like buying a song off iTunes because you're too lazy to digitize it. I know how that goes.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    pcmr said:

Breville cafe roma is the shit
    super unexpensive but makes amazing crema
    my friend has an italian father who wanted a new machine and seemed not convinced (machine not italian and not baller)
    he loves it and swears by it
    i've had it for a few years and could not be happier

I loved it too, but my Breville died after a couple years.
    I did a lot of research and came up with this baby for Xmas- love it so far, Amazon had a great price on it

Saeco Aroma

Ha, this is like buying a song off iTunes because you're too lazy to digitize it. I know how that goes.

coffee snobs related

• Options

coffee snobs related

If you saw the girls that worked in mine you'd understand. It's like a strip club with caffeine and delicious pastry. There's a coffee spot three miles away which makes espresso that makes my balls quiver, but the people working there are dicks who probably lurk here so I deal with the doodoo water from Starbucks instead.

• this thread is holding some comedy gold right now.