what are good cover songs in another language??

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited August 2005 in Music Talk
Last night DJ NevilleC hipped me to some records that were covers of american rocks songs, but were sung completely in another language.

I know of very few of these types of records, but I am anxious to learn more.

lets get a list going...

'dont stop 'til you get enough' by the Tarantulas

(I would add the ones I heard last night, but I am afraid I would get 'em wrong, better to have Neville chime in...)

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I remember hearing a spanish (?) version of 'god made me funky' on some mix - maybe a Paul Nice mix? I would love to get my hands on a copy of that. Anyone know anything about that?

• i once heard dj small change play a mexican cover of michael jackson "beat it"
    and even though it was in english,i couldnt stop laughing all weekend thinking about that cover.....someone please post that mp3 if you have it!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Can I drop a remix done is another language?

Nice & Smooth - Hip Hop Junkies (Spanish Fly Mix)

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    there were several decent david bowie covers by Seu George on the sdtk for "the life aquatic". Sung in Portuguese i believe.

i am a fan of seu george now.

• I remember hearing a spanish (?) version of 'god made me funky' on some mix - maybe a Paul Nice mix? I would love to get my hands on a copy of that. Anyone know anything about that?

Skowa & Mafia "Deus me faca funky"

find it on Mr Bongo's excellent "brazilian beats volume 1" comp.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    there were several decent david bowie covers by Seu George on the sdtk for "the life aquatic". Sung in Portuguese i believe.

i am a fan of seu george now.

Rebel Rebel = Hot

he had a live sessions on Gilles Peterson show that was so dope.

Seu Jorge - 'Rebel Rebel' (Live In Session)
    Seu Jorge - 'Untitled' (Live In Session)
    Seu Jorge - 'Tive Razao' (Live In Session)
    Seu Jorge - 'Changes' (Live In Session)

Fire...

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts
    heard the korean (i think) version of it's a man's world?

that's some shit right there.

on andy votel's songs in the key of death mix and i think the whole song's coming out on "songs of insolence" on fat city.

oh, it's in english though. but just barely.

here's a bit of it (from the excellent songs in the key of death mix)

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1GJ0VJYKRR93129Y40S62ULO8U

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Gilberto Cruz does a Spanish version of Hot Pants on the Chanchullo lp (Tico)... the lp is fire, btw.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I have an African version of Aliiyah "Are You That Somebody"
    Its on a Compilation LP. Cant think of the title or the comp.

please please post man. have to hear this.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Summertime was covered and sung in different languages
    The Hair musical has some decent cover versions

I like Manfred Krug (famous for his "Wenn Der Urlaub Kommt" drum break). Smartly translated lyrics. He can't sing that good, but I always dug his translations.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Don't forget the Spanish language version of Cymande's "The Message" that Soulstrut had in rotation for a minute a few months back. Hielo Ardiente is the name of the album and I'm too lazy to go find the artist name. That shit, to me, is dumb hot.

I have a really cool sounding version of "Never Can Say Goodbye" done in French by Nancy Holloway.

Also have...

"Mony, Mony" done by a Spanish rock band. I thought it was cool but I played it out at a club and it fucking killed the floor. Very sad.

An entire album of Beatles' songs done in Spanish. This is pre-Revolver however.

Which reminds me - there's Cornershop's excellent cover of "Norweigan Wood" done in what I assume is Hindi but it could be another Indian dialect.

For some reason, I think there must be a lot of other French covers of American songs. Anyone got some suggestions?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

For some reason, I think there must be a lot of other French covers of American songs. Anyone got some suggestions?

off the top of my head...

eddie mitchell- spinning wheel
    nino ferrer- it's a man's world
    johnny halliday- midnight hour
    sylvie vartan- game of love

naturally, these all have french titles, which i can't remember...

• I found a spanish version of Chics "Good Times". I thought it was kinda hot, but when I played it out the 30 seconds it took to find the next record seemed like 30 days (a bad look was made that night).

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    heard the korean (i think) version of it's a man's world?
    that's some shit right there.

on andy votel's songs in the key of death mix and i think the whole song's coming out on "songs of insolence" on fat city.

oh, it's in english though. but just barely.

korean version? oh yeah? any other info on that one?

gimmicks(sweden) - people make the world go round

and theres also a cover of the cure's just like heaven by Si*Se? is that the spelling which is cool.

-richard

I found a spanish version of Chics "Good Times". I thought it was kinda hot, but when I played it out the 30 seconds it took to find the next record seemed like 30 days (a bad look was made that night).

charanga 76?

if so, they also do "ain't no stoppin us now"... i'm a fan...

• I got a 12" last week of "I Will Survive" in French.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    peoples peoples.

While I appreciate the contributions to this thread were gonna need more info, as in the name of the band!

"yo I got a mindmelting cover of 'pusher man' sung in korean with 26 breaks" doesnt do us any good except make us jealous.

"You WILL give me the names of said funk tracks, or you (and your planet) will die..."

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    here are a few foreign covers I've heard and have

Usha Uthap "24 Carats" - the entire LP is basicly covers of english rock and R&B tracks sung in hindi. Some of the songs include "Don't stop til you get Enough" "I Will Survive" and "Last Dance"

Los Johnny Jets - on thier Reynaldo Minifaldo(?) LP they do a great version of "Tighten Up". A Lot of other groups south of the border covered this as well.

I have a comp from the 70's at home from mexico that has a cover of "Light My Fire" on it thats pretty lcose to the original but slightly more garage.

I know there are plenty more but I just went blank so I'll write more later as they come to me

• I've got a Spanish version of Joe Cocker's Feeling Alright.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

her version of "monkey time" rocks !!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    For some reason, I feel like I have this too. Who's the artist?

Oliver

I've got a Spanish version of Joe Cocker's Feeling Alright.

her version of "monkey time" rocks !!!

her version of "rescue me" ain't too shabby, either... she's SASSY!!!!

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    I found a spanish version of Chics "Good Times". I thought it was kinda hot, but when I played it out the 30 seconds it took to find the next record seemed like 30 days (a bad look was made that night).
    Sadly I think most crowds are not ready for this kind of shit. It's great for us music nerd beatheads but your average dancefloor crowd is probably gonna be all "why did you play that crappy verson of that song in some other language?"

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    just about every "garage" record from other countries is full of covers. This could be the longest thread of all time if we really wanted. I suggest narrowing down the language of said cover tunes.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

or give the title of this LP... plaese!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    "why did you play that crappy verson of that song in some other language?"

Unless the cover is musically potent I feel this way myself...

Marco and I argue about this - he loves the covers cuz they contribute to the 'exotic' feel he's looking for in his club nights, I don't deejay that stuff so to me they're just novelty records, which is a genre I can generally do without...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Susana Baca does a great cover of Bjork's "The Anchor Song", from this album:

The whole album is good, definitely worth a purchase.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

or give the title of this LP... plaese!

Im at work.................wait till tommorow.I'll check the collection at home.

Its a compilation of african artists doing modern stuff. That song is the one cover. Its Senegalese over Timbaland's Instramental. Masters at work have a track on the LP as well.