what are good cover songs in another language??

2»

Comments

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    just about every "garage" record from other countries is full of covers. This could be the longest thread of all time if we really wanted. I suggest narrowing down the language of said cover tunes.

I have a similar feeling. But why not blow this up?
    I probably have five off the top of my head, can't remember what they are since they're at my house though.

I've got a Spanish cover of "Ring my Bell'... French cover of Let the Sunshine in on "Solei' or something like that, I have to check later

• Just found a 33rpm 7" by "The Satanic Girls" playing The Beat Goes On (El Ruida Continua). Pressing is Argentinian (Odeon 1972) but I don't know about the band. Lyrics are mostly pseudo Chinese with Spanish parts and sometimes an English chorus. My feeling is they didn't so much cover Sonny and Cher's original but rather Werner Muller's (from The Strip Goes On) version of it. This is a disc that really has me puzzled. Why the pseudo Chinese? I would say it's "potent" enough for a club so check it out, but you probably would anyway with a band name like that. Does anybody know anything about this record?

I have a good Japanese version of Satisfaction (B-side has The Good the Bad and the Ugly cover) but I can't tell who's playing because of the characters... Nice raw version.

• For some reason, I feel like I have this too. Who's the artist?

Oliver

I've got a Spanish version of Joe Cocker's Feeling Alright.

Orquesta Hermanos Flores- La Bala

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I found the one I was originally looking for:
    Dioni Fernandez - Al Ritmo De La Noche

A cover of DeBarge's "Rhythm Of The Night".

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    "Mony, Mony" done by a Spanish rock band. I thought it was cool but I played it out at a club and it fucking killed the floor. Very sad.

Los Mitos. I pointed it out to hcrink at a shop and lucky dude got the original Spain pressing (opposed to my American, West Side Latino) for under $10 in great condition. Nice drums and upright bass on that LP. You should've went with "Coge Mi Mano", for better results, though.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Usha Uthap "24 Carats" - the entire LP is basicly covers of english rock and R&B tracks sung in hindi. Some of the songs include "Don't stop til you get Enough" "I Will Survi

This is that shit.

Plus I will pay good money for the Spanish version of "Ain't No Stopping Us Now." Thanks.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I remember hearing a spanish (?) version of 'god made me funky' on some mix - maybe a Paul Nice mix? I would love to get my hands on a copy of that. Anyone know anything about that?

Hey Kinetic

Maybe you wanna listen to it again, so enjoy

Skowa & A Mafia - Deus me fa??a funky

From this lp

Skowa & A Mafia - La Famiglia

Peace

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    i am a fan of seu george now.

Knockout Ned=

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    not sure whether it qualifies as a cover or as a song thats been covered in english, but eileen - "ces bottes sont faites pour marcher"/nancy sinatra - these boots are made for walkin

i have the Eileen version, aparently released in 66 but im too lazy to look up the other.

• I like femalesinger Daimis version of "fever" - sung in danish of course. She also did a version of Sam Cookes "cupid" in english which sounds so terrible it's funny.

Dress

• galaxygalaxy 62 Posts
    Los Johnny Jets - on thier Reynaldo Minifaldo(?) LP they do a great version of "Tighten Up". A Lot of other groups south of the border covered this as well.

i need this baaaddly

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I have an African version of Aliiyah "Are You That Somebody"
    Its on a Compilation LP. Cant think of the title or the comp.

please please post man. have to hear this.

or give the title of this LP... plaese!

Im at work.................wait till tommorow.I'll check the collection at home.

Its a compilation of african artists doing modern stuff. That song is the one cover. Its Senegalese over Timbaland's Instramental. Masters at work have a track on the LP as well.

Viviane N'Dour - Goor Fit (4.10) [/b]

Its also on her album-

I listened to it last night and its not a cover technically. She copies the melody and places it on top of Timbo's production. I dont think what she says in Senegalese is what Aliyah says. Its still sounds good though.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    There is s German Version of Memphis Soul Stew sang by an american. His name is Tyree Glen Jr. and the track is called "Marler-Eintopf" (Which means Marler Stew. Marl is the city where Tyree lives for over 30 years know) I heard that this track could be re-released in the near future.

Another great track is the Japanese version of I Want You Back. Dont know the name of the band but the track is on these Michael bootleg compilations where all this obscure Michael related stuff is on.

The Hindi Version of Dont Stop Till You Get Enough which was previsly mentioned is also great. People scream when I play that, and when the singer comes in they look at me strange.

Mary Roos from Germany did a great cover of Mas Que Nada which she called "Blauer Montag" (Means Blue Monday)

There is a real crappy and funny version of Rappers Delight called "Rappers Deutsch" by the group GLS. This track was produced by Harold Faltermayer and GLS means Gottschalk, Laufenberg and Sexauer. All those dudes were TV and Radio hosts back than and very popular. The istrumental is nice, the flow is nice ina strange way but what they are rapping is BS.

There is a German version of Sittin on the Dock of the Bay from Howard Carpendale called "Armer Alter Reicher Mann" This is horrible but funny in the same way.

He also did a version of "When the Beat goes on" which is a very funky version of that tune and kinda nice, also it got a break beat at the end. His version is called "Es weht der Wind der neuen Zeit"

There are also some German versions of Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross songs. Those songs are sung by Marvin and Diana themself. They did that to get a wider acceptance with there German audience. Unfortunatly I dont know any titles. But it is confirmed that they did it.

The Beatles did the same. When they started out in Hamburgs Star Club some record managers pleased them to record some tunes in German for the same reason (getting accepted). So they recorded "I wanna Hold your Hand" and "She Loves You" in German. "Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand" and "Sie Liebt Dich"

Peace
    Hawkeye

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I have two son of a preacherman covers, both of which I blatantly cribbed from M. Hammond's helpfully online playlists: one in French by Nicolette "Le Grand Amour" (on a greatest hits album on Barclay) and the other in Swedish by Sylvia Vrethammar called "En Laring something something" (on an album on Sonet with a red cover).

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Los Hitters - Por Tu Amor ("For Your Love" to all you gringos).

• "Jack & Jill" Chatelaine (Raydio)
    "Georgy Porgy" Dwight Druick (Toto)

The two killer Qu??bec french covers of American songs I can think of...

For some reason, I think there must be a lot of other French covers of American songs. Anyone got some suggestions?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Ronnie Bird is a French artist who had some awesome 45's in the 60's covering some of the edgier English & American material...

best one I've heard is his version of the Pretty Things "Don't Bring Me Down." I have been outbid on that one on eBay a couple of times now.

Oh, and he recorded with an expatriate Mickey Baker on guitar

• Charlie Palmieri??? Uptight (Everything's Alright)...
    Latin cut to little Stevie....DOPE

TNT Band- The Meditation....
    Killer Latin cut to Archie Bell's TIGHTEN UP.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

TNT Band- The Meditation....
    Killer Latin cut to Archie Bell's TIGHTEN UP.

um, they sing that in english, right?

-the pedandic dick

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

This weird-ass Greek record that I can't even read has a nice cover of 'staying alive' on it.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Los Johnny Jets - on thier Reynaldo Minifaldo(?) LP they do a great version of "Tighten Up". A Lot of other groups south of the border covered this as well.

i need this baaaddly

Los Johnny Jets also do a nice version of "Fever/Fiebre."

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Will post Bollywood tune ganking In A Gadda Da Vida and Wild Thing in the same song tonight.

Peace
    T.N.