The record store that first got you hooked....

124»

Comments

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    in the mid to late nineties, when i really started getting into records, the cut out bin at tower was my shit. i got show and ag goodfellas, oc jewelz, kool g rap 456 etc. for next to nothing. i was young and knew very little so it made my fucking day. thats how it started for me. places like mystery train on newbury st in boston and mojo records on mass ave in cambridge (all gone) became staple spots. i used to walk from porter sq. cambridge to jp and hit every record store along the way. most are gone now. found lots of cool records at those places but the amount of good records i passed on back then because i didn't want to drop $20 makes me want to cry now. finding mystery train in gloucester and salem record exchange by car changed my life with the amount of cool stuff i would find and when i started making treks to nyc to trade records at the old TSL it was game over/no turning back for me. working in a used record store for 4 years didn't hurt either. (what's good x*vier?)

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    youngEINSTEIN said:
    BAGATELLE RECORDS
    260 Atlantic Avenue
    Long Beach, CA 90802-3213
    (562) 432-7534

peace, stein. .

ya Stein - think you pretty much cleaned that place out. I've been there a few times through the years, don't think I ever bought one thing -- but have heard, via folks and via music, that you've done quite well there. ;-)

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    youngEINSTEIN - 11 December 2010 03:07 AM
    BAGATELLE RECORDS
    260 Atlantic Avenue
    Long Beach, CA 90802-3213
    (562) 432-7534

peace, stein. .

ya Stein - think you pretty much cleaned that place out. I've been there a few times through the years, don't think I ever bought one thing -- but have heard, via folks and via music, that you've done quite well there.

One Monguito Santamaria "On Top"-Fania Gold-was pulled out of above for a paltry 8 biscuits

• Woimsah said:
    these pics are tough to look at. on some straight fanboy shit, feeling of seeing a crusty spot that you've never been to that says "records" all old on the sign or glass never ever gets old. always feels like you're going to come up. even if you don't - it's always worth the trip.

unless it's Vintage Vinyl in New Jersey. That place just sucks.

I guess that name is cursed or something. The one in Evanston, IL is terrible, as well.

• First store I started buying records at was Peaches Records and Tapes in Atlanta around 1976. Peaches was the first Tower Records sized store in Atlanta. I remember going to a Dixie Dregs album signing there and thinking how cool that was.They had a huge walk of fame out front which I loved as a kid. Not sure what they did with it after the store closed.
    Here's ZZ Top putting down their foot/hand prints -

The first used record store I started hitting regularly was Wax n Facts in Atlanta (Little Five Points). Proud to say that they're still there 30 years later.

• pickwick33 said:
    Woimsah said:
    these pics are tough to look at. on some straight fanboy shit, feeling of seeing a crusty spot that you've never been to that says "records" all old on the sign or glass never ever gets old. always feels like you're going to come up. even if you don't - it's always worth the trip.

I guess that name is cursed or something. The one in Evanston, IL is terrible, as well.

Back in the day Vintage Vinyl was an incredible store with two equally good locations. In the early 90s one of the stores was apparently embezzled out of existence, and the remaining store sells more action figures and bric a brac than new music.

• pickwick33 said:
    Woimsah said:

This has to be the most common name for a record store in the history of record stores.

• Horseleech said:
    pickwick33 said:
    Woimsah said:

This has to be the most common name for a record store in the history of record stores.

Yep, that and "Wax Trax."

The one I referred to earlier in this thread bore NO relation to that silly overpriced store in Las Vegas.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    karlophone said:
    Yes! Second Coming was a total highlight of any NYC trip then.

Somewhat interesting side-note - Ras who used to work at TSL first worked here. I also bought a copy of Kurtis Blow's 'Do The Do' 12" here for $5, not knowing it had the break on it until I got home.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    Horseleech said:
    pickwick33 said:
    Woimsah said:

Yep, that and "Wax Trax."

The one I referred to earlier in this thread bore NO relation to that silly overpriced store in Las Vegas.

Add, Recorded Memories and Memory Lane.