"Can A Nerd Have Soul?" (NYTimes / Strutnip-related)

2»

Comments

• Yeah that's what I said. Only an idiot would say country music had nothing to do with soul music. Read a book, talk to a 60s soul artist, sorry for being informed on the music I dig.

batmon said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Soul music was born from Gospel music
    and country music and the "devils" music...there is a lot heathen honkies like myself can latch onto with soul music...gospel was/is only a part of soul music.

WHITE PEOPLE CREATED AND IMPROVED BLACK MUSIC.

• batmon said:
    BLACK PEOPLE DIDNT HAVE SOUL UNTIL WE BROUGHT THEM HERE.

really dude stfu. Sorry for being harsh but you are spewing bullshit, just sayin'

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    writing a lengthy rebuttal of that error strikes me as the worst sort of baseball card-collecting nerdery.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I find that comment kind of ironic given what happens on Strut every single second. I mean, why we do even congregate here if not to engage in baseball card-collecting nerdery?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Also: part of what bothered me about the article was its ahistoricity (baseball card-nerdery) but the other half of my critique is the "cute" way it deals with race but doesn't actually deal with it. Why write an essay poking fun at white boys in soul music if you're not actually going to talk about race in any meaningful way?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    staxwax said:

Isnt technology, as a byproduct of the human species, in fact, an all natural phenomenon? A beaver dam is the same thing as an atom bomb really - a construction created by a bunch of organisms made up out of shit they found in their environment.

Advancements in technology, occur naturally, but the technology itself remains unnatural. For example: The Flaming Hot Cheeto may be an innovative take on the Corn chip, but it's still very far removed from Corn.

faux_rillz said:
    Just to be clear, which white people are the disconnected ones: the guy that wrote the article, or the guys he wrote it about?

I'm going to go with my assumption of the author's intended audience. Please take no offense though I do love white people. Sometimes.

FortyFivan said:
    I can identify with your sentiments Spidey, but it's not necessarily the technology itself that is devoid of nature, it is the way it is used today. Technology actually has the potential to reach levels of art and nature that we've never realized. I've been preaching the need for a technological renaissance for a while now because I truly believe that. I wouldn't rush to dismiss technology just yet... maybe if the machines start killing people

Here's a good book on the topic by Kevin Kelly, one of the founders of Wired Magazine. It really gets into the links between technology and nature in a very thought provoking, big idea manner.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Technology-Wants-Kevin-Kelly/dp/0670022152

I wish I had time right now to speak my thoughts further, but I'm swamped in said technology!

Ferrari? Ah, I just realized you changed your name. Cool! Thanks for the book recommendation.

Rich45s said:
    Weren't you the dude who kept posting the whole recent Sharon Jones album up for download despite being asked not to? Way to fight the good fight dude.

I'm sorry to inform you friend, but that was an elaborate April Fools day hoax. I actually love Ms. Sharon Jones. I buy her albums, and I encourage everyone to support her music.

DB_Cooper said:
    james said:

If you are a day over twenty-five, I will buy a hat and then eat it.

Add some poorly-informed bleeding-heart politics and I would have guessed liberal arts undergrad.

asstro said:
    According to his blog he's 27. Which makes that whole rant even more cringe-worthy IMO.

At least I have an opinion man, and hey thanks for visiting my site.

- spidey

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    Advancements in technology, occur naturally, but the technology itself remains unnatural.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I left my skateboard in the car when I went to Tender Greens and had a steak salad.

I don't know if I should continue reading that first article, but I want to read the CLAP_BAK, so I suppose I must push through.

hmm.

"could a nerd have soul" would've been a better article than whatever this turned out to be.

bikes?
    snowboards?
    videos of oakland?

Aside from being a white nerd, I can't relate. Carry on.

batmon said:
    SPlDEY said:
    Advancements in technology, occur naturally, but the technology itself remains unnatural.

Ya gonna articulate that thought, or just leave me with that unibomber graemlin?

- spidey

SPlDEY said:
    batmon said:
    SPlDEY said:

Ya gonna articulate that thought, or just leave me with that unibomber graemlin?

- spidey

I'd like to knoww where your cut off point w/ tech? A piano is natural but T.O.N.T.O. isnt?

Its all from Nature. The whole computers are fake and banging on animal skins is more natural is a tired debate...IMO.

Turntables are fake but an Electric Guitar is closer to "nature".

:lush:
    Just make good music.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Do you guys even like music?

DOR said:

BRO I TOTALLY LIKE IT
    BUT YOU CANT SEE THAT
    BECUASE YOUR ASKING ON THE INTERNET WHICH IS SOULLESS TECHNOLOGY

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    What if the power goes out? You still gotta be able to rock a party with no power.

Reynaldo said:
    What if the power goes out? You still gotta be able to rock a party with no power.

Accapulco

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    batmon said:
    Reynaldo said:

Accapulco
    These nerds don't have the pipes.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I heard your band has sold their turntables and bought guitars...

batmon said:

I'd like to knoww where your cut off point w/ tech? A piano is natural but T.O.N.T.O. isnt?

Its all from Nature. The whole computers are fake and banging on animal skins is more natural is a tired debate...IMO.

Turntables are fake but an Electric Guitar is closer to "nature".

:lush:
    Just make good music.

Cut off point?

Hm.. I'm not sure really. I can say a whole lot of music I love died with the birth of the Digital synthesizer.

As home recording got less expensive, and the Internet blew up.There's been a real lack of quality control. I can't really put my finger on a cut off point though. Don't get me wrong Batmon, I love technology, and I love nature. I respect different qualities in all things. I'm just recognizing the duality of it.

Honestly, I'm not this guy:

But, I get where he's coming from.

I dumped my tape reels to my laptop so I can mix and edit the music. If you want to call me a hypocrite right now, you'd be completely right. ReaIly, I'm a broke young brown kid teaching myself the process as I go along. Following my instinct on what feels right. If it feels good and sounds right. DO THAT. I'm not saying don't make music on a laptop. Rock whatever works for you!

I'm no ANLALOG purist by any means.

I've just eaten a whole lot of fast food, and now I'm over it. Now I want a home cook meal. You feel me? Who knows what I'll want tomorrow.

It's just my response in this big conversation we call music.

- spidey

I also prefer natural tits to fake tits, Real explosions to CG ones, and natural work outs using your own body to creatined out/perfomance enhancer/steroid/heavy weight training.

In case anyone cared.

- spidey

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    ^ Sitar Hero

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Just to be clear, which white people are the disconnected ones: the guy that wrote the article, or the guys he wrote it about?

I'm going to go with my assumption of the author's intended audience. Please take no offense though I do love white people. Sometimes.

So, to clarify further: you suspect that the intended audience is disconnected, by virtue of their whiteness, from a musical phenomenon promulgated by mostly white people and enjoyed mostly by other white people?

DOR said:

I fucking love it!

???People call me a luddite. I don???t think I???m really a luddite. I???m not a cutting edge guy y???know.

Because I think the cutting edge is.. alot of energy goes into technology, and technology I think has dominated.. in recent years dominated everything. And it???s a distraction, because ULTIMATELY THE CONTENT SUFFERS.

So, I record on an 8-track cassette. I do that because I want less options. Not more. That???s me.. I???m weird like that, but it forces me to write songs that are interesting to me at least, and I hope they???re interesting to other people.???

??? Ian MacKaye