"Can A Nerd Have Soul?" (NYTimes / Strutnip-related)

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Skimmed em, now about to do a little dance about architecture.

• NYTimes is paving their own way into irrelevance by the day.

• That article didn't make much sense.

I did like the cover article about the hacker / cc thief dude though. Inspirational.

• Options
    What kind of condiments do you put on a hoerburger?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    2010 is just so not cool to be. Social network, Avatar, Google blah blah blah.. really I'm just over it all. blecch.. I'm bored. No offense Google. No offense STEVE JOBS.

This NY times piece reeks of 2010 + Blue eyed soul + Disconnected white people journalism. I guess no matter how hard I wash my eyeballs though I can't un-read it. So, I guess I should just tell you how I really feel.

I might lose everybody here, but I have this really strong belief that:

TECHNOLOGY IS TOO DEVOID OF NATURE.

Alright, now wait here me out. It's one of the main reasons why I fought my band tooth and nail these last two years to record our debut album to a Analog tape with a Tascam 388 reel to reel machine. I just firmly believe as Electronic Music advances, Analog SOUL music is being lost, so it's only natural that it will eventually come back.

You might disagree with me, but I dunno. I think I might convince somebody.

Soul music was born from Gospel music. Which I understand doesn't fair well with the young atheist hipster music folk these days (sorry Pitchfork Media). So, to go back to more simplistic song writing, and less sophisticated equipment could seem ludicrous to a lot of folks. Personally it felt like a bit of a revelation.

I remember when I first started taking guitar seriously. My friends all told me, "Diego, NO one wants to hear a HIP HOP GUITAR PLAYER. You need to start making beats!!"

I honestly just don't have time to tell people that musically I just returned to my roots and returned to everything I've always loved. I'm a BBOY who also happens to play guitar, and I'd be embarrassed if you couldn't hear that in the music I make. I started going back and learned how to play my favorite Jackson 5 albums, and Pink Floyd Records I loved as a kid. Started learning how to play King Crimson songs, and Parliament songs, and James Brown Songs. The internet turned me onto so much Brazillian music, German music, Turkish music, and obscure brilliant 60's and 70's music and now that's truly what I want my music to reflect.

My band can definitely be categorized as some sort of a RETRO thing, but we really only went in that direction in a mutual FUCK YOU MODERN MUSIC! decision.

We were just sick in 2006 of all the blahblahblah that we were hearing.

We don't listen to the Radio, We don't like American Idol, We're not big on RAP, or MODERN ROCK.

We like Serge Gainsbourg over Soulja Boy.

We just went backwards to go forwards. Really a no-brainer.

It's good to see that we weren't alone in predicting people would feel the same way as us. So in a way, I'd love to be a part of this "extended retro movement", because its about goddamn time people start challenging all of this GOD AWFUL BULLSHIT MODERN MUSIC.

I'm sorry yall, but if this is what the future sounds like I want my money back.

All of my favorite artists have figured it out, and I'm fighting hard to get my voice heard, because I want to be the change. I want the industry to change. I want to challenge your ears, turn you on to new sounds and find new ways to teach you how to re-listen to things that you may already think you know.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Kierkegaard

- Diego/Spidey
    http://bigmuff.tumblr.com/

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    2010 is just so not cool to be. Social network, Avatar, Google blah blah blah.. really I'm just over it all. blecch.. I'm bored. No offense Google. No offense STEVE JOBS.

This NY times piece reeks of 2010 + Blue eyed soul + Disconnected white people journalism. I guess no matter how hard I wash my eyeballs though I can't un-read it. So, I guess I should just tell you how I really feel.

Alright, now wait here me out. It's one of the main reasons why I fought my band tooth and nail these last two years to record our debut album to a Analog tape with a Tascam 388 reel to reel machine. I just firmly believe as Electronic Music advances, Analog SOUL music is being lost, so it's only natural that it will eventually come back.

Soul music was born from Gospel music. Which I understand doesn't fair well with the young atheist hipster music folk these days (sorry Pitchfork Media). So, to go back to more simplistic song writing, and less sophisticated equipment could seem ludicrous to a lot of folks. Personally it felt like a bit of a revelation.

I remember when I first started taking guitar seriously. My friends all told me, "Diego, NO one wants to hear a HIP HOP GUITAR PLAYER. You need to start making beats!!"

I honestly just don't have time to tell people that musically I just returned to my roots and returned to everything I've always loved. I'm a BBOY who also happens to play guitar, and I'd be embarrassed if you couldn't hear that in the music I make. I started going back and learned how to play my favorite Jackson 5 albums, and Pink Floyd Records I loved as a kid. Started learning how to play King Crimson songs, and Parliament songs, and James Brown Songs. The internet turned me onto so much Brazillian music, German music, Turkish music, and obscure brilliant 60's and 70's music and now that's truly what I want my music to reflect.

My band can definitely be categorized as some sort of a RETRO thing, but we really only went in that direction in a mutual FUCK YOU MODERN MUSIC! decision.

We don't listen to the Radio, We don't like American Idol, We're not big on RAP, or MODERN ROCK.

It's good to see that we weren't alone in predicting people would feel the same way as us. So in a way, I'd love to be a part of this "extended retro movement", because its about goddamn time people start challenging all of this GOD AWFUL BULLSHIT MODERN MUSIC.

I'm sorry yall, but if this is what the future sounds like I want my money back.

All of my favorite artists have figured it out, and I'm fighting hard to get my voice heard, because I want to be the change. I want the industry to change. I want to challenge your ears, turn you on to new sounds and find new ways to teach you how to re-listen to things that you may already think you know.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Kierkegaard

- Diego/Spidey

If you are a day over twenty-five, I will buy a hat and then eat it.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    james said:

Add some poorly-informed bleeding-heart politics and I would have guessed liberal arts undergrad.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    james said:

Add some poorly-informed bleeding-heart politics and I would have guessed liberal arts undergrad.
    I'd be surprised if dude's a student. I detect a definite "SCHOOOOOL'S! OUT! FOR! EVAH!" righteousness/peevishness.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    According to his blog he's 27. Which makes that whole rant even more cringe-worthy IMO.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Nerdiest frontman ever?

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    SPlDEY said:

Isnt technology, as a byproduct of the human species, in fact, an all natural phenomenon? A beaver dam is the same thing as an atom bomb really - a construction created by a bunch of organisms made up out of shit they found in their environment.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    SoulStrut pet peeve: dudes who poast really boring things and proclaim them to be catnip

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    The gang and I recorded our latest long player recently and I have to say it was, without a doubt, a work of genius. game changing even. Sadly, we'd also forsaken technology for the process, and, on playback, the rock and two sticks we used to capture the dynamism of the performance for future audiences was all over the place fidelity wise.

Real shame as Lesley absolutely killed it on his Mongolian throat singing solo.

Junior said:
    The gang and I recorded our latest long player recently and I have to say it was, without a doubt, a work of genius. game changing even. Sadly, we'd also forsaken technology for the process, and, on playback, the rock and two sticks we used to capture the dynamism of the performance for future audiences was all over the place fidelity wise.

You dudes record your music? Sellout.. We only play live. Without instruments. Naked.

• SPlDEY said:

- Diego/Spidey

Weren't you the dude who kept posting the whole recent Sharon Jones album up for download despite being asked not to? Way to fight the good fight dude.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Junior said:

You dudes record your music? Sellout.. We only play live. Without instruments. Naked.

It was Robin's idea, he's always been the commercial brain of the operation. He said that we could offer promotional pebbles at gigs with our stuff pre engraved on there.

• oof

• faux_rillz said:
    SoulStrut pet peeve: dudes who poast really boring things and proclaim them to be catnip

I thought Oliver's response was worth the price of admission.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Saddiq predates and will out live all the artists mentioned.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I enjoy Aloe Blacc's output. "I Need A Dollar" may be the single of the year. I think he'll continue to grow as an artist and put even better stuff out.

phongone said:
    I enjoy Aloe Blacc's output. "I Need A Dollar" may be the single of the year. I think he'll continue to grow as an artist and put even better stuff out.

You sound like a soulless nerd.

• phongone said:

check out Emynd's bounce remix:

• Soul music was born from Gospel music
    and country music and the "devils" music...there is a lot heathen honkies like myself can latch onto with soul music...gospel was/is only a part of soul music.

• i honestly don't see the problem w/ the original article

rape_donkeys said:
    i honestly don't see the problem w/ the original article

I don't either. Other than positing the white dude-driven retro-soul revival as a more recent phenomenon than it actually is--and writing a lengthy rebuttal of that error strikes me as the worst sort of baseball card-collecting nerdery.

The_Hook_Up said:
    Soul music was born from Gospel music
    and country music and the "devils" music...there is a lot heathen honkies like myself can latch onto with soul music...gospel was/is only a part of soul music.

WHITE PEOPLE CREATED AND IMPROVED BLACK MUSIC.

BLACK PEOPLE DIDNT HAVE SOUL UNTIL WE BROUGHT THEM HERE.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    SPlDEY said:

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I can identify with your sentiments Spidey, but it's not necessarily the technology itself that is devoid of nature, it is the way it is used today. Technology actually has the potential to reach levels of art and nature that we've never realized. I've been preaching the need for a technological renaissance for a while now because I truly believe that. I wouldn't rush to dismiss technology just yet... maybe if the machines start killing people

Here's a good book on the topic by Kevin Kelly, one of the founders of Wired Magazine. It really gets into the links between technology and nature in a very thought provoking, big idea manner.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Technology-Wants-Kevin-Kelly/dp/0670022152

I wish I had time right now to speak my thoughts further, but I'm swamped in said technology!

SPlDEY said:

Just to be clear, which white people are the disconnected ones: the guy that wrote the article, or the guys he wrote it about?