What's In Your Collection?

Comments

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Almond said:
    When does collecting become hoarding? Does this topic warrant its own thread?

I would say when your collecting starts taking over your living quarters.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    I've been teetering on the edge of collecting designer bottles ever since I found this brand on a trip to the USA. It's brewed in Holland but impossible to find here in France. I can't bring myself to open it and now I keep noticing other really nicely designed bottles whenever I go to the stores.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Records
    -Cuban
    -Brazilian
    -Psych/jazz-rock/kraut/etc.

Maps

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    mp3s

• Almond said:

A few of the people here sound like they may have already "crossed over" (no John Edward).

• Records Brazilian
    Records 10" Jazz
    Bolex Camera and16mm developing and editing equipment
    Jules Verne novels

• I try and avoid keeping as much stuff as possible. I do collect records, anything I like, mostly rap and soul.
    I don't actively collect books but I read enough and the books build up over time.

• Breez said:
    Almond said:

^^ this...it can get tricky when you collect things, see i am the type who never trades or sells things..i collect not to trade or to sell, so "the collection" just grows and grows, i realized a few years ago i cant go to thrift stores and buy every record there, because most of it is shit and i would honestly have zero use for 80% of it, 10 years ago i bought records just to have records, i was convinced i would find sumthin on every record...lol

when you cant open doors and walk through your house without stepping on things from your collection...you have issues imo

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    records/tapes
    portables/tape decks/audio hit/samplers/walkmans/ etc
    sneakers
    vintage clothing

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I collect records from a variety of genres including:

-Jazz (straight-head, free, progressive, spiritual, etc.).
    -Soul
    -Funk
    -Disco
    -R&B
    -Rock (heavy-metal, classic, progressive, psychedelic, bubble-gum, soft).
    -Folk
    -Blues
    -Reggae
    -Hip-Hop
    -Gospel
    -Soundtracks
    -Kids Records
    -Pop
    -Latin
    -Classical

Also, I have a shitload of classic prizefights on VHS and DVD. I'm a huge boxing fan!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    Breez said:
    Almond said:

^^ this...it can get tricky when you collect things, see i am the type who never trades or sells things..i collect not to trade or to sell, so "the collection" just grows and grows, i realized a few years ago i cant go to thrift stores and buy every record there, because most of it is shit and i would honestly have zero use for 80% of it, 10 years ago i bought records just to have records, i was convinced i would find sumthin on every record...lol

when you cant open doors and walk through your house without stepping on things from your collection...you have issues imo

If the # of rooms in your house that has at least one crate of records in it is greater than the number of rooms that does NOT have at least one crate of records in it, then you most likley have an issue. (Studio Apartments excluded)

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Records, Latin

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Records are the main thing although lately i have been addicted to goretex/water proof jackets. Copped two in the last few weeks and its summer here in Aus.
    I managed to pretty much put the kicks addiction to bed. Mainly from realizing that i could have gone on two over seas holidays from the amount of money i spent on sneakers and also the fact that nothing worthwhile is being released.
    I also read a fair bit. Im buying a book on average on every two weeks for the daily commute and they add up too, although if i think i'll never read it again i'll trade it in at the book bank.
    After having to move a couple of times over the last few years i try and maintain the amount of stuff i collect to a minimal.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Records (anything I can find that's interesting)
    Cameras
    Bookends
    Advertising from 20s - 60s
    Tape Machines (Reel to Reels , 4 tracks multi-recorders)
    Guitars / Basses / Drums
    Vintage Amps
    Mics
    Children's Books from 30s - 60s
    Mac Products
    Anything coin operated pre-1970s

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    i collect not to trade or to sell, so "the collection" just grows and grows,

I was the same way til about 3 months ago. My collection got so massive, I just realized that I had so many records that I didn't use that I didn't mind letting them go to a new home where they would get better use. A lot of wall pieces that were nothing more than trophies. Maybe I'm just getting older and I'm realizing that I don't need every record ever made.

dj_cityboy said:

This is what I'm trying to straighten out now. My house is very full, as well as my parent's basement, my mother-inlaw's basement and a storage unit.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Cameras
    Bookends
    Guitars / Basses / Drums
    Vintage Amps
    Mics
    Mac Products

WOW!! Is your wife involved with or supportive of these collections? My wife has never complained. She actually is proud of my record collection and helps out any way possible. I'm damn lucky for that.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Records
    -jazz
    -funk/soul
    -hip hop
    -rock
    -African
    -reggae
    -Brazilian
    -Latin
    -osts

Music related figurines
    Graphic design books
    Design posters and prints

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm poor, but I like to collect ideas.

- diego

• Records(stuff that sounds good)
    Garbage Pail Kids (not much anymore since they started pressing new series up)
    Transformers (same as the Garbage Pail Kids, I stopped once the new generation was released)

• RAJ said:
    Cameras
    Bookends
    Guitars / Basses / Drums
    Vintage Amps
    Mics
    Mac Products

Raj is the closest i see to my own tastes so far here.

for me its...
    records of all sorts, varies wildly based on what i find...
    books and comic books and all sorts of cool looking weird paper items (old magazines, pulps, maps, etc)...includes children s books, and anything "atomic age" (1945-1970, space, moon, rocket, futuristic, cars, etc)...
    old skateboard stuff....(magazines, boards, equipment, ephemera)
    Music equipment (but i only buy when i stumble across it, i dont have an analogue synth want list or anything like that, though i know whats good when i see it)...
    ...shit, ill dabble in anything i think is cool looking and old, i have filing cabinets full of old stamps, coins, stickers, etc etc. cameras, film video cameras, art, prints, etc. i love old toys and model kits (again 50s-70s) but rarely buy anything anymore in that dept - takes up too much space and i already recaptured all the stuff i had when i was little etc.

a big reason i pick up old magazines and catalogs and booklets, pamphlets, etc is for the art, stuff to scan to use in my own stuff. if its at all old+weird i usually save it.

im probably a borderline hoarder but the big difference is ill periodically go in and weed out "weaker" material, trying to keep the collections hi quality and low on filler. so while i have a TON of shit, theres very little "junk"!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I think someone said the following on the Joe Bussard documentary: "lots of people have lots of records, but it's much harder to find a person with lots of good records". This kind of helps explain things in my mind in order to keep me from hoarding too much vinyl. I want to be one of the guys with lots of good records, not have thousands of chud titles or trashed vinyl. I know a lot of guys even here in Auckland who will have garages & storage just filled with records, but a high % of their records are junk that they are waiting to offload or thrashed copies of otherwise hard to get stuff. That seems like hoarding.
    Also someone on here said that once you get a storage unit you have stopped collecting & started hoarding...... or dealing.

• batmon said:
    I just keep a good 20 bottles in rotation, its not like i have 50 more stored away for some special occasion.

so they're all different from each other? how many of them are next level stupid hot?
    I'm not trying to contest. serious question..
    I'm not really collecting but I went from super common stuff to sriracha
    to this:

and finally this:

This shit is really just adding hotness.. not much about taste anymore..

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    in addition to lps, I dabble in:
    --DVD / VHS (particularly Fassbinder, Frederick Wiseman, 60s/70s world cinema, horror)
    --film books (esp. interview books w/ directors)
    --indie "comix"
    --historic photos of movie theatres / streetcars

• Super leaf
    TWO warp whistles
    P-power

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    Currently 80s dancehall
    Disco fuentes 7s
    Old fx unit

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    Currently 80s dancehall
    Disco fuentes 7s
    Old fx unit

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    aguaconsal said:
    batmon said:
    I just keep a good 20 bottles in rotation, its not like i have 50 more stored away for some special occasion.

so they're all different from each other? how many of them are next level stupid hot?

Weve had a gang of hotsause threads here so i dont wanna derail this but my latest cop is:

Yes they are all different - Classic and other joints. All my peoples bring me back a bottle whenever they travel.

• RAJ said:
    Cameras
    Bookends
    Guitars / Basses / Drums
    Vintage Amps
    Mics
    Mac Products

I could kill two of your habits with one stone. I saw these sick vintage bookends that were in the shape of a 70's reel to reel.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Records:
    2nd Hand
    - Boogie, Disco, Old School Rap, New Wave and House 12s
    - Funk, Jazz, Disco, hip hop LPs 1965 till now.
    New
    - Edits, Remixes, limited edition dance and beats 12

Other
    Odd, old or educational books, magazines and pamphlets
    Odd bottle openers
    Zombie Movie DVDs
    Bits and Pieces