What's In Your Collection?

dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
i asked this question in another thread and thought it might deserve its own topic....so after diggin around here for a minute i still havent been able to figure out what peoples collections consist of, when i first joined i thought the majority collected hiphop/breaks/funk/soul, obviously theres a lot more going on then that, do you collect more then records?

what are you collecting?

Comments

• i guess like a lot of strut folk, i have collected stuff all my life (mad magazines, baseball cards, etc..) but now i have it down to records and sheet music/song books.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Toasters, board games, mid 20th century industrial design objects that catch my eye and are cheap or free.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Books. Art supplies. Used to spend all my money on acrylic paint and speciality paper as a kid.

Nailpolish? It's not a collection, I just somehow have, like, 30.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Too much of what I used to be into but never listen to or use anymore and not enough of the stuff I am into now.

• mrmatthew said:
    Too much of what I used to be into but never listen to or use anymore and not enough of the stuff I am into now.

the collectors quandry

• yeah i collect a bunch of stuff that zips me back to my childhood when i see it, i did get rid of my tranformers collection, but i do still have a rather mean looking Smurfs collection (lol if you like it is what it is) i'll probably sell it off soon, i have a collection of Mad/Cracked magazines, and i went through the whole baseball/hockey card collecting deal as well. 6 years ago i decided i was going to start a Adidas shelltoes, but affter buying 15 pairs in 4 months, i stopped buying shoes and started buying more gear for the studio and records..

as far as the records go i mostly have hiphop from the late 70's to the early 90's around the mid 90's i got into house/breaks & dnb/jungle so i have a bit of that in my collection as well as rock&roll;, jazz, folk but i went on random record "fits" years ago and would buy everything and anything for a while, so i have some fluff/filler in my collection, but thats always good for sampling imo, i stopped buying records about 3 yrs ago as i ran out of space in my cramped condo, but now i own a house and its nice to be buying records again....hell! its nice to have room to buy more records again..

i do beta testing for MS as well so i have a bit of a collection of raer goods from microsoft as well...and i am a collecter of spraypaint as well mainly Krylon discontinued colors and acrylics, graffiti books and a crap load of other things...

• Records (mostly jazz and some avant-garde stuff, but with lots of bits and pieces mixed in)

...and also clothes.

• Records - Any genre that's good
    Tapes - Old Rap tapes to play on my boom box when I'm playing basketball
    Keyboards - Vintage, Analog, etc
    Microphones - Vintage, new, dynamic, condenser, ribbon

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    LPs - rap, soul (95% pre-1975), reggae (99% pre-1990), rock (mostly noisy kind - punk and garage. A smidgen of psych), jazz (98% pre-1975).

12s - rap, reggae and a grip of minimal techno that is in boxes I haven't unpacked from three moves ago.

10s - reggae and some weirdo rock releases

45s - le punk, soul, reggae and some weirdo rap releases

I kinda hate the term collector cause it objectifies the objects - like never taking the first Barbie out of her box to play with her and enjoy her for her dollness.

I also have a lot of books, shoes, purses and old glassware.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rekkids
    Kicks
    Batman Action figures
    Black Super Hero Marvel DC
    Cookbooks
    Comic Books - but that has slowed down unfortunaely
    There'a new Black Barbie subset that is the shit. I mean really good sculpting, not some painted brown white Barbie steez.
    Hot Sauce
    I wouldnt say movies but i got joints

dj_cityboy said:
    i do beta testing for MS as well so i have a bit of a collection of raer goods from microsoft as well...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/11/original-apple-computer-logo-visible-on-christies-apple-1-manual-photo.html

future raers!

• batmon said:

Kicks
    Hot Sauce

Yeah, I guess I collect these as well...
    and some Yo! MTV Raps trading cards and I have a DVD/VHS collection as well.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Records:
    > Latin & International
    > B-Boy Breaks
    > Jazz
    > Bay Area & Sweet Soul 45s

+

Art:
    Rare / historic maps
    A Few Vintage Posters
    Framed Woodblock Prints from Japan & Brazil
    Ceramics

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    batmon said:

Hot Sauce

:goat:

• batmon said:

Hot Sauce

Pics plaese, or you're frontin.

For me,
    Records of all shapes and types.
    late '70s thru early 90s skateboard decks.
    '50s Hawaian print shirts, but I kinda grew outta this in my early 30s.
    Art Deco ashtrays.
    PoBoy Shop T-shirts from NOLA 60's-80s/
    And, no shit, hot sauce.

I just keep a good 20 bottles in rotation, its not like i have 50 more stored away for some special occasion.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Records - Breaks & just good music
    Samplers & keboards
    Non-sports bubblegum cards. (40's - early 80's)
    Music related comic books
    Anything Pink Floyd and KISS (I'm not obsessive but if I find something kool & cheap I grab it.)
    Pez Dispensers
    Life lessons

About to start collecting:
    45 adapters
    Horror novels (my wife's influence)
    Portable record players

• 1. Records

2. Records

3. Old doors/ moldings/ fixtures/ hardwood floor : I work on old houses and try to maintain their arch. integrity by using materials that are of the same era as the houses. I've got a mad door collection, actually it's a bit outta hand.

Music related comic books/quote]

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Breez said:
    Music related comic books

OK, maybe I wasn't clear. Comic books based off established recording acts.
    Example:

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I come from a long line of collectors/hoarders.
    At the moment it's all about (in order):
    Records (45s & LPs - soul/funk/R&B/jazz/blues/punk/hardcore/garage/rockabilly)
    Guitars
    Motorcycles (although a couple of them have been sold lately....)

previously I've been obsessed by:
    CDs
    78s
    Cassette Tapes
    Matchbox Cars (still have hundreds in storage)
    Those mini GI Joe action figures from the 80s (still have a few of them tucked away someplace)
    Golf Balls with advertising logos on them (what a fucking massive can of worms that shit was... so many)
    Guitar World Magazine
    Thrasher Magazine
    Transworld Skateboarding Magazine
    Commando War Comics

I think I'm doing well limiting it to 3 things at the moment, although unfortunately they are the 3 most expensive things lol

• mrmatthew said:
    dj_cityboy said:
    i do beta testing for MS as well so i have a bit of a collection of raer goods from microsoft as well...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/11/original-apple-computer-logo-visible-on-christies-apple-1-manual-photo.html

future raers!

yeah i spotted that today, although um not much of a mac fanboi, still really cool for someone into vintage mac, not worth what they are asking for it though, they have sold for $14,000 to about $16,000 before..

but on some otherworldy next schitt has anyone seen this friggin vase that sold for $68million? that someone found in their basement...like wtf is that about...lol

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/11/12/uk.qing.chinese.vase.auction/index.html?hpt=C2

• aside from records... televsion on DVD, SNES carts, vintage cookbooks.

b/w

my wife has her own expedit full of yarn

• records from New England
    records from New Orleans/Louisiana

other records, too, but nothing else

actually, just bought 1st cassette player recently, so now i'm collecting cassettes as well. if you wanna sell some PM me!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Unfortunately the bilsl related to having a family have almost ended my collecting. I have records, Japanese toys, mostly stuff from 70s cartoons and live actions shows that I use to watch as a kid, lots of books on history and politics, and a lot of old basketball cards and videos.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Hot Sauce

But you use them, right? Collect them, as in you want different hot sauce flavours and heats and consistencies depending on what you're eating?
    I mean I only buy one type of bread, one type of juice and one type of soap. But I have about 15 different types of heat in my cupboard and fridge...it's food that gets used, finished and restocked in some way.
    Is that me collecting hot sauce?
    I collect hot sauce too!

LoopDreams said:
    3. Old doors/ moldings/ fixtures/ hardwood floor : I work on old houses and try to maintain their arch. integrity by using materials that are of the same era as the houses. I've got a mad door collection, actually it's a bit outta hand.

PM sent!

When does collecting become hoarding? Does this topic warrant its own thread?

When does collecting become hoarding? Does this topic warrant its own thread?