What would YOU charge?

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
Some stripper is going down to Miami and touring around as a feature dancer. She's Ms. Nude something or other. I've been offered the task of putting together her music sets. There are themes, and the songs will loosely fit the theme in each set. Now I'm no SuperMashUp Remix DJ, and that's not really an appropriate style for a strip club anyway, so I'm simply editing a string of songs together and adding some vocal things and sound effects. Each set is about a 20 minute chunk with 4 or more songs. She wants 5 or 6 of them.
I'm wondering what is a fair price to charge for this?

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    oh and I'm not charging sexual favors so let's get that easy joke out of the way. hah

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Do you have an idea how much she's getting?
    Can you ask for a percentage or does it have to be a dollar amount?

• ^^ yeah this....i would ask for a percentage of what she makes, for all you know she could roll in mad loot and you only charge her a couple hundred for the tunes, meanwhile she walks out with a stack of cash and your left with .0001% of what she made..although um sure its a tough convo to bring up what she makes, but that offsets what your making as well...so its a convo you might wanna have...

and be sure to add some 2 Live Crew for good measure...

she's trying to get a dollar amount.
    would it be out of line demanding to know what she's getting?
    (i'm dealing with her through a friend of mine. she's bringing her down and handling details)

there's also am opportunity to work with her more (competitions and more tours) if she likes the "mixes" (as theyre being referred to)

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    jaymack said:
    she's bringing her down and handling details

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I would take 15% off the bottom line of what she is making. Your part of her deal, your just as important as a hair stylist, or makeup in this matchup.

• jaymack said:

would it be out of line demanding to know what she's getting?

well yeah i wouldnt demand to know, i'd asked her what shes expecting to make or what shes made on trips like this before..in the end dude you'll have to make your best judgement call...if you straight up ask for loot, you could secure a dollar amount going into your pocket, but if she pulling in mad money you could also be missing out on a bigger piece of the pie..in that case a percentage would be best..

i havent worked with strippers before, but i would think they would pull in some mad loot...specially if shes done it before and going to Miami to do it...

Not sure how good of a friend it is. If it's a good friend/business associate, I would ask. It's not demanding at all imo. Fck this business about if not making money?
    If it's not the kind of situation you can ask, and if you have the time and/or inclination, do a bit of research and ask other dancers/DJs who may have been part of the a similiar booking.

Not knowing her, the size of the club or the scope of the promotion - my first thoughts were $2000 - $2500 / 6% - 8%.

Burns said:
    I would take 15% off the bottom line of what she is making. Your part of her deal, your just as important as a hair stylist, or makeup in this matchup.

Not arguing this at all, but I can already see the arguments as to why putting together a mix is not as 'important' or work intensive as hair and make-up. (assuming she doesn't do her own)

my initial reaction was to charge about $25 per mix/set.
    shes a good friend/associate. i asked her what she thought the girl would be making. if we DO end up working together in the future, I dont want to be stuck with such a low ball rate.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Why would she be honest about what she'll be making if she knows/thinks you want a percentage?

Bid high and don't go below your minimum.

I don't expect anyone to be honest about money. Especially gentlemen's agreement type schitt.

suggest $125 and see how she reacts.
    you won't be low-balling yourself into a corner for next time.
    because it's higher than the $25per you're considering, you will show yourself to be willing to negotiate and easy to work with - all good things when she's thinking about booking you again.

• i would cut her a small deal if shes willing to use your services again though like you said, bit of good exposure never hurt and the more people hearing your mixes the better..

dj_cityboy said:
    the more people hearing your mixes the better..

that's not even a factor really. they're just blocks of theme based songs with some vocal samples and stuff. not so much "mixing" as much as editing.

bassie said:
    suggest $125 and see how she reacts.
    you won't be low-balling yourself into a corner for next time.
    because it's higher than the $25per you're considering, you will show yourself to be willing to negotiate and easy to work with - all good things when she's thinking about booking you again.

before you posted that she went to her with the $25per and is gonna see how she reacts. totally fair, i think.

fair and lucrative are not always the same.
    no matter. you got to ask for what you are comfortable with...and she is a friend.
    hope you get more work out of this still.

thanks. while it's definitely a more fair deal for her than me, i won't feel bad if she doesn't accept it. better to figure out if she's a pain to work with now than later.

• i dont think asking for any amount over $25 would be necessary.

best to play it safe and lock of up the skrill in advance before she wises up and cops THIS for ten bucks and calls it a tour.

• I would thing 50-100/mix would not be unreasonable at all, or like 500 for 6 of those. Also depends on how much time you're spending on them. 25 seems a bit low but you could always raise it for next time if she likes your shit.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    $150 per mix. That's more than reasonable. Believe me, that ain't shit compared to the doe she'll be bringing in. A featured dancer in Miami??!! She's gonna be caked up when it's all said and done. Get yours bro!!

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Just curious, do you have an idea which tunes you'll be playing? Will you bring Barry White heat?

so they wanna hear what ive done so far. honestly i work with enough strippers to know that most of them want everything but they arent willing to pay. what im guessing is she was told i wanted $25 a mix and now she wants to see if the mixes are worth that. so before i waste anymore time on this ill send them the 2 that ive made so far.

over the summer 1 girl wanted me to dj her sons party...........and when i quoted my rate, she was flabbergasted that she would have to pay.

• no idea if you are a working DJ or gig occasionally on the side, but $125 seems really low to me for this. $500 like amphibious said seems more reasonable to me.

But I guess she's balking at $125, so I guess do it for whatever you are comfortable doing. I will say, moving forward, it might be difficult to up your rate if you are asked to do the same work for her. Better to start high.

• meistromoco said:
    moving forward, it might be difficult to up your rate if you are asked to do the same work for her. Better to start high.

this.

also, if it's for a friend or whatever I can understand but I would barely be willing to fire up my gear for $25. That seems absurdly low.

the girl who is organizing is a friend of mine for 3+ years. the stripper i dont know.
    i didnt really wanna do it from the start, cuz like i said i deal with enough strippers on a daily basis that itll be a whole ordeal.
    the mixes ive done so far are easily $25 worth of work. like i said im not getting fancy and blenging shit and remixing. just simple edits in Acid. if theyre not what they want they can go elsewhere. its not big loss.

im actually kinda hoping they want more done to the mixes, so i can gracefully back out. cause yes, i dont want them to think ill do this all the time for that price.

• This might have been said, but tell her you'll personalize it for her and then put together an intro incorporating her stripper name (like every mixtape DJ does with song lyrics). I bet the other strippers will love it and it may earn you some more business. Plus it'll help justify (in her mind) whatever you decide to charge her! Who knows? This could be a good hustle for you!

(After rereading that I think I'ma do this myself!)

Herm said:
    put together an intro incorporating her stripper name

oh they're EXPECTING that. and come to find out my simple mixes werent enough. they want blends and alla that mess. i'm not Girltalk. That shit takes time.
    im rapidly getting discouraged, and thinking of backing out.

• in that case, you gotta charge waaay more than $125.