50 Cent & Soulja Boy WTF?!?!

13»

Comments

• Sorry - latte pass as you all say.

But this is F'ing hysterical.

And don't feel bad Herm. I'm an immature 37 year old!

And, I get the joke. It's not homophobia that makes this funny. It's the fact that such homophobic dudes are posed all cuddly, with SM overtones, like that. THAT'S what makes it hilarious.

And yes, they photoshop the shyte out of all magazine covers. They take a million pictures. And the photoshop artist basically takes apart the bodies part-by-part, and reassembles them as they please, Frankenstein-like. Often with disregard for basic human anatomy.

Who knows. Maybe the two of them weren't even together at the same photoshoot. Yes, 50 looks funny, and his arm isn't right.

Okay then.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I am not trying to be difficult, but this is where I get lost.

brokenrecord said:

And, I get the joke. It's not homophobia that makes this funny. It's the fact that such homophobic dudes are posed all cuddly, with SM overtones, like that. THAT'S what makes it hilarious.

They are not cuddling. Soulja Boy is standing stock still with his hands in his pockets (edit - my mistake. He standing stock still with the universal crotch-grab stance). The shirtless young thug look is as old as the hills and lord knows, dude did not pay that dough to cover all that tacky ink up.
    I guess the S&M reference is 50's niqab? Can't say I took that to be an S&M thing at all.

Help me understand so I can roll with the rest of SoulStrut - how is the image of a guy who has his arm around another guy automatically homoerotic?

• IMO - if a hetero couple was similarly posed - scantily clad, embracing, with genital touching, and an SM mask...well, I would get erotic vibes from that too.

I have no idea what was in the minds of the editors at the magazine, but I would have to guess the sexual subtext was evident to them too - from their website:

'Earlier today (October 19) we leaked the upcoming cover of XXL???s November 2010 issue, featuring 50 Cent and Soulja Boy. The two polarizing figures and close friends posed together for a provocative image with a masked Fif??? draping his arm over the shoulder of a shirtless SB in a sign of solidarity and brotherhood'

Provocative image? Seems like they knew what they were doing. Getting attention! lol.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    and y'all fell for the publicity stunt

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Interesting...I like XXL fine, but I doubt they are positioning themselves to be at the forefront of breaking down homophobic barriers in the rap world - "provactive image" or not - but I can be wrong. I think "sign of solidarity and brotherhood" is much closer to the truth.

brokenrecord said:
    IMO - if a hetero couple was similarly posed - scantily clad, embracing, with genital touching, and an SM mask...well, I would get erotic vibes from that too.

I hear what you are saying, but don't see it as a fair comparison.

I will retreat.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    forget the gheyness of the cover, what's up with fiddy wearing a mask on his face?

again, forget the alleged homoeroticism. I'm more curious as to how awkward the art director/photographer's conversation with fiddy must have been re: the facemask.

"we're thinking, you know, that you could maybe wrap a tee shirt around your face, real scary looking, real gangster."

he looks ridiculous.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    The thing that makes the picture disturbing/funny is the fact 50 is supposed to represent this gangsta criminal image with the assumption that jail in not unfamilair to him...so this pic in that context takes another meaning to me...imaging 50 and SB we're in the jail yard or cellblock like that?

To me the conotation with the shirt covering the face and the older more buff guy behind the younger smaller guy is that SB is Fiddy's 'punk/bitch'...... So really it makes SB look a bit 'compromised' IMO....