Canada (Where should I poss. move to-r)

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
I know there's a few of you here. I've only been to Vancouver and really don't know much about it. Where would you recommend for a yung_thug that's primarily interested in getting a job and living as cheap as possible? No need to mention all the visa stuff.

Comments

• if you're willing to work shit restaurant jobs, want to pay little rent and get the most bang for your buck then montreal is probably the spot. its one of the best party towns in the world, hands down. unfortunately, there are no records in mtl. and eventually a lack of french willl start to hold you back.

i live in vancouver and its nice and all but its not cheap and if you're looking to get out there and mix it up this isn't the place to do it. this is more like the city you come to chill after a few years in mtl or toronto.

if you like aggro, hipsters and jerk chicken then toronto could be an option. best record city in the country.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

unfortunately, there are no records in mtl.

wtf no records in mtl? really damn man...i used to hear mad stories from people about mtl being the record capital of canada...maybe a lot has changed in 10 years or so..

Halifax is a pretty dope place to live, great music scene, and if you like history/beer/seafood...its the only place to live, not far from from places like mtl, nyc and other new england states, toronto is 2hr by plane away, i wouldnt say this is a huge record city, but you can get pretty well anything youd be looking for, lots of place with $1 bins and the weather here is nice most of the year..

its a bit of an opinionated question, but its sumthin you'd wanna research before you say "yeah thats the place for me" i know it seems bunk to poast some wiki linkages but theres a lotta info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Halifax

• I think you need to give a little more info on what you're looking for. If you want a big city you don't have too many other options besides the ones already listed. But there are a lot of mid-sized cities and tonnes of smaller places to live and they would be a lot cheaper. And if you want rural living, we've got lots.

I live near Hamilton, which most people think of as a dirty industrial city, but it's actually quite nice, has an emerging arts scene and beautiful natural areas nearby, and it's incredibly cheap, especially if you want to buy a house.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    TO:employement opportunities1, expensive2, funfactor3
    MTL:employement opportunities3, expensive3, funfactor1
    VAN:employement opportunities2, expensive1, funfactor2

outdoors setting Van1,Mtl2,TO3
    weed has the same order, records is reversed,food is a tie TO,MTL depending on preference
    what type of work are you looking for...
    what type of environment are you looking to live in
    do you (even) party?
    kids?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    but you will find work in MTL its just the language thing hinders (not so much) compared to the others
    also van and TO have more$$$ and thus more jobs but shit is still all good in my hometown

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I would suggest Toronto or Montreal. Vancouver while is one of the best cities to live in the world for quality of life, is pretty expensive. And it's not gonna get any better. Tho, it's a massive housing bubble that could pop at any time IMO.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    MTL, obviously.
    FUN, LIFE, WOMEN.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Brian said:
    I know there's a few of you here. I've only been to Vancouver and really don't know much about it. Where would you recommend for a yung_thug that's primarily interested in getting a job and living as cheap as possible? No need to mention all the visa stuff.

What city are you (fleeing?) moving from, Brian?

Best choices in order of my personal opinion are: Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Ottawa, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Halifax, Hamilton, Saskatoon.

Kindly,
    parallax

• Brian said:

Best choices in order of my personal opinion are: Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, Vancouver, CalGary Busey, nOttaway to grow up, Deadmonton, Loserpeg, [del]Hamilton[/del], [del]Saskatoon[/del].

Kindly,
    parallax

FIXED.

• business - toronto

pleasure - montreal

leisure - vancouver

simplicity - halifax

look no further.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    Hamilton is a great place to live - ideal if you like nature, I think. Also an exciting place:

(To be fair, I think it was the visitng team from small town Quebec that went into the stands first!)

I also love Toronto - great music/arts/food.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    let's not act like dude should go anywhere other than MTL, VAN or TOR.
    Edmonton??!!! cha. I'd throw St. John's before any of the rest.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    When we moved to Toronto from Montreal, it took me like 20 years to get over it. I hated on Toronto for a lonnnnng time. It took me moving to Parkdale to really appreciate the city. Then I moved To Weston at Jane and Lawrence and I am convinced it's the the best city on earth.

I am sure there are many stories to counter this, but you need to consider that if you are not French-speaking, getting decent work might be an issue. Unless you line something up before you get there (which I would recommend for a big move anyway), you may find it very difficult. Montreal is cheaper compared to Toronto, but it is not what it used to be and it is getting more pricey.

As for the pleasure aspect - Montreal is four hours away from Toronto, you can have both relatively easy.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    bassie said:
    When we moved to Toronto from Montreal, it took me like 20 years to get over it. I hated on Toronto for a lonnnnng time. It took me moving to Parkdale to really appreciate the city. Then I moved To Weston at Jane and Lawrence and I am convinced it's the the best city on earth.

That highlights another nice thing about Toronto - the neighbourhoods. There are so many different types of places to live, and you can usually find a community of some sort to engage with. Not so in many other places I've lived.

• Brian said:

Best choices in order of my personal opinion are: Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, Vancouver, CalGary Busey, nOttaway to grow up, Deadmonton, Loserpeg, [del]Hamilton[/del], [del]Saskatoon[/del].

Kindly,
    parallax

FIXED.

Couldn't hack it on the Prairies with a -40 windchill and nothing to do on a Saturday night. SOFT.

Seriously, though, if all you're really interested in is cheap housing and a job, wouldn't Saskatchewan be one of the better places to go? However, if you're even remotely interested in records, fun, and all that other stuff, though, I'd say stay out of MB and SK.

There's also some smaller cities like Kingston, etc. that are really nice (and conveniently located near Toronto).

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Thanks people. Been a lil busy but I'll give this a good read and will probably ask a few more question later. Thank yo.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    California

• How you gonna move from the 50th state to the 51st?

Also: you can't handle winter. (I can't either, so I moved to California.)

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    I can't comment on anywhere besides Toronto since I was born and raised here (only visited Vancouver and Montreal), but echoing Bassie and Ketan, Toronto has got great variety. Lived in the city and suburbs and there are pros and cons with both depending on individual tastes, but it's all there for you and easily accessible. Myself, I love the city, but half of my friends prefer the city and the other half the suburbs. I love the concrete, but once awhile its nice to visit my friends away from the city and just be near the trees and feel like I'm at a cottage...and that's near by.

Food is great (especially if you venture outside downtown and you're into various ethnic foods). I really think Toronto is at the infancy of its potential, it's going to be really interesting where the second generation and third generation immigrants, combined with original Torontonians lead us. I sometimes think our multiculturalism is marketed overboard, it's not necessary to be on a high horse about, it just IS, it exists and I love it. So much has changed since when I was a kid, and for the most part for the better. One of my biggest complaint as a kid(i was introspective) was how advertising never really reflected the diversity. I don't think it's so much a case of corporations being more inclusive as being pragmatic and marketing towards its demographics, but its changed massively. Transportation can be an issue regarding the morning and afternoon rush if you drive, transit for the most part is ok (especially within the city) but could use improvements.

There are various way one can lead a life a life here, depending on income and how you want to your social life to be. You can live in a small box in the city, live in the sprawl of the suburbs and visit downtown when you need a fix or catch a concert/whatever, or you can live further off and be isolated if that's your thing.

• vintageinfants said:
    parallax said:
    CalGary Busey

FIXED.

Only out-of-towners say it like that.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Brian - other than obvious - what has sparked this possible decision?

Also, visiting first might be a good idea. Winters are hard, I won't lie, but Toronto in the summer is PHENOMENAL.

• CinisterCee said:
    vintageinfants said:
    parallax said:
    CalGary Busey

FIXED.

i know it's pronounced more "cal-gry", but as an out-of-towner i took liberties.

the prairie-folk ought talk wit they "trannuh" talk.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Depending on the election, Toronto might not be going in the right direction.

Calgary on the other hand with who they just elected...

• vintageinfants said:
    CinisterCee said:
    vintageinfants said:
    parallax said:
    CalGary Busey

FIXED.

i know it's pronounced more "cal-gry", but as an out-of-towner i took liberties.

Funny I always thought it was people from T'rauna that slurred it like that

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    How about Regina? Pronounced like vah-jay-jay?

• white_tea said:
    How about Regina? Pronounced like vah-jay-jay?

Yes. Nobody likes Regina.

vintageinfants said:
    CinisterCee said:
    vintageinfants said:
    parallax said:
    CalGary Busey

FIXED.

That doesn't sound like a Prairie thing. I almost never hear anyone say it like that.
    Apparently ESL programs for overseas like to recruit heavily around here because the Prairie accent is so bland and easy to understand. No idea if that's actually true.

• it is true. but that goes for most of canada. because of it's non-regional style of dialect, it's also the "accent" that voice coaches use for foreign actors trying to break into the american market.

• vintageinfants said:
    it is true. but that goes for most of canada. because of it's non-regional style of dialect, it's also the "accent" that voice coaches use for foreign actors trying to break into the american market.

Because it's how you're supposed to pronounce things.

Except Calgary.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Winter will be rough anywhere outside of Hawaii ;) . I've only been to Vancouver during the summer but I love the weather there; minus the rain of course.

I guess I'm leaning more towards either Toronto or Vancouver. Any good sites to read up on just some real general information on either? I was really briefly searching around and read that the average 1 bedroom in Toronto goes for about $900 a month. Is that at least ballpark? What about Vancouver?

And O, no way in hell am I moving to California right now, haha.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    900$$!!!!
    my huge 6?? was hiked up after renovations and we pay 860 including bills(elect,heat,internet,phone,digital cable)