What is the rarest record you own?

discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
Can only be a record you now have (not one you once had in your possession). THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT THE MOST EXPENSIVE RECORD YOU OWN. I could give a fuck about your overpriced jazz funk terds!

I'm talking true rarity here. One-of-a-kind joints welcome!

For me it would have to be:

Comments

• I have a bunch of Tamayo titles but none that really stood out to me... is that one particularly funky or hard salsa or something?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Two Unsane records signed by Dario Argento.
    He did an in-store a few years back and I asked if he had heard of the band, who shares their name with one of his movies (English title).
    He had, and he was super-cool about signing them.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    My criminal record.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I have a bunch of Tamayo titles but none that really stood out to me... is that one particularly funky or hard salsa or something?

Neither. Beautiful latin soul / rock joint. PM me a list of the stuff you have when u get a chance. There's a few gems in that catalog bit it's mostly filled with :talib: unfortunately.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    yeah I know it's not the first time I post this ...

• spexxxspexxx 37 Posts
    AZITIS-Help

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    NM Ray Terrace Baila Baila LP

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

I need this one bad. Is this truly that rare, or are you factoring your copy's pristine condition into your assessment?

• Maybe E Wiley or the Herman Kelly private. "Expensive Shit" Nigerian press. I dunno. Don't really care considering that I probably play VG Isley Bros more than all of that shit.

• many but here are a few:

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

musica said:
    Reynaldo said:

I need this one bad. Is this truly that rare, or are you factoring your copy's pristine condition into your assessment?
    It's truly rare from what I can tell. Pops up once a year at most; almost never clean. Cost me $380.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    So....these expensive-rares - not the weird-rares/not-that-good-but-have-never-seen-another-one rares - do you play them out or do they only come out once a month at home, with dedicated needles and Saran-wrapped pets around?

The most expensive records I own - I used never take them out of the house and now I'm like, what the hell did I pay this monery for if I can't hear it on a loud system, for and with my friends and ladies going wild on the dancefloor.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    bassie said:
    Dedicated Needles / Saran-Wrapped Pets

Oh shit--that's the one split single I need to complete my KBD collection. Name your price.

• probably some local private press underground rap records.
    pretty sure they were only sold in my town...

• I honestly have no idea...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm wholly uncertain as to the rarity of various Latin pieces. I have, for example, a Los Melodicos 7" of "La Murga De Panama" that I've yet to see show up again for auction since I copped it 3 years ago but that doesn't mean much. It could be some common shit for any half-decent Latin DJ who doesn't fuck with eBay.

There's also Joe Bataan's promo only "Latin Soul Square Dance" but I have the double A-side, not the promo with the other joint on the flip. Rare as hell either way I suppose.

The only other record that comes immediately to mind as being "known raer" would be Pure Essence's "Wake Up" but I doubt that was remotely as obscure as the Soul Cavaliers I sold last year.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Atomic Forest
    Flavio Kurt
    Verocai
    Sangre Negra
    Los Benfords
    Indian Roots

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    probably my acetate copy of the thirty dangerous seconds soundtrack. i can barely find out any info on the movie let alone how many copies of the acetate exist.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133230/usercomments

• I really dont know, but Im guessing the test pressing of the Denis Bryant LP on Discreet has to be pretty rare considering the LP was never released(at least I dont think it was). Its one of those things I keep saying I need to sell but never get around to it and forget about it until I come across it in my collection and say, "I need to sell this" and then forget about...ad nauseum.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I used to have a factory-corrected copy of that King Tutt twelve-inch.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    using the most direct answer to the theme, I have some local private stuff that I have only ever seen my copy and that nobody I know owns, 45's that only had 100-200 pressed or whatever. None of it all that mind blowing but some cool stuff, no doubt.

then there are things like the Nathaniel Mayer album that I only ever saw for sale (in person) once, when I bought it, but it may not be all that rare in Michigan or whatever and shows up on eBay once a year or so.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    musica said:
    I could give a fuck
    why do so many people seem to misuse this phrase, am I wrong? Is it actually "could give a fusk" in the US but "couldn't give a fusk" everywhere else in the world? what is the story?
    i know it probably doesn't matter & that many of you couldn't give a fusk about it, but "could" makes no sense to me in this situation "could give a fusk" actually means you do care about overpriced jazz/funk turds............

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    anyway to answer the initial question, I actually have no idea.

• a few more...

• oh yeah and this one....

• Grandfather said:
    probably some local private press underground rap records.
    pretty sure they were only sold in my town...

we want names.......come on......

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    holmes said:
    musica said:
    I could give a fuck
    why do so many people seem to misuse this phrase, am I wrong? Is it actually "could give a fusk" in the US but "couldn't give a fusk" everywhere else in the world? what is the story?
    i know it probably doesn't matter & that many of you couldn't give a fusk about it, but "could" makes no sense to me in this situation "could give a fusk" actually means you do care about overpriced jazz/funk turds............

imagine it more like: "(as if) i could give a fusk"

and i have no idea what my rarest record is.