[moviestrut] The town

Comments

• given the billions that the viewing public throws at Hollywood each year, I just don't know why our expectations need to be so fusking low. "a halfway decent rehash of themes thoroughly -- and better -- developed elsewhere" is just not worth $15 to me I guess.

• Options
    rootlesscosmo said:
    given the billions that the viewing public throws at Hollywood each year, I just don't know why our expectations need to be so fusking low. "a halfway decent rehash of themes thoroughly -- and better -- developed elsewhere" is just not worth $15 to me I guess.

I get the feeling that you basically don't like movies.

• BobDesperado said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    given the billions that the viewing public throws at Hollywood each year, I just don't know why our expectations need to be so fusking low. "a halfway decent rehash of themes thoroughly -- and better -- developed elsewhere" is just not worth $15 to me I guess.

and I get the feeling you didn't even read what you quoted!

I love movies.

• Options
    rootlesscosmo said:
    BobDesperado said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

and I get the feeling you didn't even read what you quoted!

I love movies.

Name some.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    just not worth $15 to me I guess.

I love movies, love Boston, and especially love good Boston movies, and even I didn't bother to see this in the theaters. Not because I thought it would be any worse than standard Hollywood fare, but because I agree with you that standard Hollywood fare isn't worth the money and effort to see in the theater. I might see True Grit in the theater. But honestly, even being a Coen fan, I'll probably Netflix it.

• i caught an early screening of true grit last week. Its a great movie.
    A straight up western and the most "Coen Brother" thing about it was the dialog at times.
    Great movie, the girl in it is awesome.

• mannybolone said:
    It was a decently executed genre film. Nothing more, nothing less.

I speculate "True Grit" will fit the same description.

even controlling for genre, True Grit destroyed this garbage.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    did not like
    girl's teeth were bothering me throughout the entire movie
    don draper was not very convincing. first dude is like "all right we're going to catch these guys" and then all of a sudden he's berserker fbi agent.
    the whole relationship thing was zzzzzzzzzzzzz. i'm pretty sure if they removed that entirely from the movie it would not have affected much.
    worst part of the movie was affleck still dropping loot for girl even after he sees her setting him up for the feds

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Brian said:
    did not like

worst part of the movie was affleck still dropping loot for girl even after he sees her setting him up for the feds

BUT IT WAS LIKE A "SUNNY DAY" (HINT HINT HINT)....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Okem said:
    Also IMO Heat is the definition of an overrated movie.

Thank you.

And its not a heist film its Dinero vs Pacino fan circle jerk.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    batmon said:
    Okem said:

Thank you.

their little "sit down" in the diner was a wet dream for many viewers.

I felt it was the least interesting/most gratuitous part of the film.

omit that scene (which was never gonna happen), and you have a very good heist film.

kilmer, piven, sizemore, voight, ton loc, henry rollins, trejo, dude from the Allstate commercials.

come on now, the movie was ill.

BTW is there a role deNiro WONT take these days?

at this rate he'll reach Eddie Murphy status: a classic actor who ends up having made (in raw numbers) more bad movies than good ones.

(I exaggerate; but still...)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    BTW is there a role deNiro WONT take these days?

at this rate he'll reach Eddie Murphy status: a classic actor who ends up having made (in raw numbers) more bad movies than good ones.

(I exaggerate; but still...)

I think he's already reached that point actually.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    peeped tonight on DVD.

this movie sucked.

the whole time I'm thinking "is this relationship between teh Boston bad boy and the sensitive civilian more embarrassingly derivative of Minnie Driver and Damon? Or Leo and Vera Farmiga?" Tough call.

Haha oh and when they had her working at the organic community garden!?!? hahaha. I almost fell out my seat.

did anyone else notice how Affleck is actually watching Heat at one point in the movie? (sorry if this was already pointed out; I think it's pretty funny how obvious Affleck's Heat infatuation is that he went so far as to "literally" reference it in his movie. how subtle.)

Scanned a movie thread for B*n's hate, found it. All is right in the world.

The_Non said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    peeped tonight on DVD.

this movie sucked.

the whole time I'm thinking "is this relationship between teh Boston bad boy and the sensitive civilian more embarrassingly derivative of Minnie Driver and Damon? Or Leo and Vera Farmiga?" Tough call.

Haha oh and when they had her working at the organic community garden!?!? hahaha. I almost fell out my seat.

did anyone else notice how Affleck is actually watching Heat at one point in the movie? (sorry if this was already pointed out; I think it's pretty funny how obvious Affleck's Heat infatuation is that he went so far as to "literally" reference it in his movie. how subtle.)

Scanned a movie thread for B*n's hate, found it. All is right in the world.

haha and don't even get me started the latest terds I've seen either (J Edgar and Drive --- BTW why no Drive thread on the strut? Seemed strut-worthy to me).

that said, Tinker Tailor was aight. I'm a sucker for the cold war spy genre I guess.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I really enjoyed the Girl With A Dragon Tattoo remake and especially enjoyed Marth Marcy May Marlene.
    Drive was awesome, hate on rootless

Grandfather said:

Drive was awesome, hate on rootless

I'll hate all day. I told the artfukhipster at the movie place (yes I still go and rent movies sometimes) I thought it sucked and he suggested maybe it was "too artsy for me." hahaha icegrill.

nah man I can appreciate a sloooow, atmospheric movie with good visuals. I really can.

but this movie just wasn't it.

too much long-pause-for-DRAMATIC!-effect tedium; the villains were crass comic book caricatures; the underlying crime plot didn't even begin to hold up....etc.

the title sequence was awesome; I will say that.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    The head stomp scene. I really liked when the movie became violent as fuck, really threw me off. The part when he starts to beat up Xtina Hendrick's character was shocking when I was watching for the first time.

Drive us already a cult film.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    batmon said:
    Okem said:

Thank you.

even if u hate the film, u can't front on the shoot out with the cops. the town wishes it had it like that.

SIRUS said:
    batmon said:
    Okem said:

Thank you.

even if u hate the film, u can't front on the shoot out with the cops. the town wishes it had it like that.

Mann has always highlighted gunplay. The Town is not about that.

I find the Town to be closer to Mann's Thief. One last job w the love story shit.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I need to watch Drive again. That dumb ass "...real human being...and a real hero" song that seemed to loop forever at the end totally ruined it for me. For some reason that sh*t was incredibly grating to me and made me leave the movie in a pissy mood.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    my only beef with that flick -- ok two beefs -- SPOILER: your really gonna turn your back on killer albert brooks like that??? my other beef is the changing of race from a mexican chick to a white chick. i like carey mulligan as a actress, but u can't tell me there wasn't a chicana who wasn't dying to play that role. just once i would like to see it go the other way in hollywood.

really like the movie tho.

batmon said:

how? why?

batmon said:
    One last job w the love story shit.

one of the most tired combos in all of moviedom.

rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:
    One last job w the love story shit.

one of the most tired combos in all of moviedom.

no more tired than pacino and dineros schticks

rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:

how? why?

git fam.

im no super fan but the kids are all over this shit.

batmon said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:

how? why?

git fam.

im no super fan but the kids are all over this shit.

Im saying. I mean I SEE it. I just don't think it warrants shit.

The movie seemed to have been specially formulated to check several specific hipster boxes. Paint by numbers shit.

But a boring movie.