[moviestrut] The town

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
this is set in Boston.

Is it as good as "the departed" and "the friends of eddie coyle" ?

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    ???the departed??? was balls.

This movie sounds like 'Heat' part II

Ben Affleck is kinda a douche.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Not as good as The Departed, but not bad at all, IMO. Renner was good, the whole thing was enjoyable -- damn good action scenes, too.

Ben Affleck might have douchey qualities, but he can make a decent movie, when he's writing or directing. Gone Baby Gone was pretty good, as well.

• Options
    I don't do movies. But I did see Pirates of the Caribbean.

I just think an activity is much more constructive. Also, once I went to a movie where this one bully made fun of a girl until she felt bad.

I'd rather be active than watch a movie about gender, race, religion, or politics. (race baiting, fear mongering-r)

If you are active enough, it is possible that people could make a movies about you.

But, if you can write well, unlike me, and want to write about movies, then I image going to a movie is constructive. (Larry David-r)

And, when my back needs a rest and it is time for a movie I like kids movies about friends, family, and love! As well as, cowboy movies.

The college here screens movies on Friday night. (good time) and they store the sound equipment close to the radio station. They told me that renting a movie and inviting friends over to see it is illegal, but not regulated. They said that they have to pay to do a screening on campus. I guess if you are reading this you are paying for electricity, Internet service, and valuable record trading time. This month, October, is Horror month. But they are gonna do a 90's throw back month soon. "The Big Lebowski?" I asked and they said, "yes." I told 90's throw back is sometimes what I Dj on campus and they like that.

Thanks, ttyl

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You talk about being active, yet you spend your time on here spewing out a constant stream of fatuous tripe.

• Options
    Your welcome

• Apart from Blake Lively and Rebecca Hall I do not care for this movie.

• this movie was super dope. my girl and i found it very suspenseful (ie> stressful) and i walked away commenting " that was a dope movie"

• Garcia_Vega said:
    Rebecca Hall

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Rebecca Hall = latest in a string of semi-attractive actresses with zero charisma. This is the 2nd or 3rd film I've seen her in and I find her characters completely empty of anything compelling.

In any case, I liked "The Town"; I thought it was a slightly less-pretentious take on "Heat" (very similar narratives) with great pacing and decent acting. Solid and entertaining all around.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    "pretentious" = "miles better and much more compelling" ?

fine way to waste 100 minutes, but The Town was definitely a lesser, more hollywood, popcorn version of Heat. (thats a vaguely positive review ftr)

thrope said:
    "pretentious" = "miles better and much more compelling" ?

fine way to waste 100 minutes, but The Town was definitely a lesser, more hollywood, popcorn version of Heat. (thats a vaguely positive review ftr)

I mean...when "Heat" first came out, it was a pretty stunning heist film with a lot of layers piled on top. To me, the film hasn't aged terribly in several ways (least of all Pacino's now-patented scenery-chewing). I think it's impossible to watch "The Town" and not draw comparisons to the basic narrative and character development. But to the extent that "The Town" was more popcorn...I think it serves t film better as a result. I'm not saying it's a better film than "Heat" and it's certainly not more ambitious but to the extent that both films were fairly popcorn ( "Heat's" a total Hollywood film, don't see how it's not), I just found "The Town" to be a more enjoyable watch.

• mannybolone said:
    Rebecca Hall = latest in a string of semi-attractive actresses with zero charisma. This is the 2nd or 3rd film I've seen her in

I admit I liked her in Vicky Christina Barcelona a lot....

...mmmhhh .... thrope, Heat was " Hollywood" to me....

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Rebecca Hall is a very good actress. She may be a little more restrained than your standard Hollywood actress but saying she has 'zero charisma' is going too far.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i guess im using "Hollywood" to mean more pleasing to the mainstream palette. falling for the kidnappee, the way the whole ending went down with only the lead character escaping etc. Heat definitely has star power and is obv not some kind of independent art film, but Michael Mann's script and direction are masterful, and the sum of its parts seem way more a "piece of art" than The Town. hell now that i put it that way, maybe it is more pretentious heh

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Also IMO Heat is the definition of an overrated movie.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    and with that i'm going to have to bow out of this thread, before i waste 3 hours and 3000000000 words of my life. michael mann is the most underrated director on the planet.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Michael Mann is very highly rated by fans and critics alike. I'm pretty sure he makes it into the top 10 directors working today, when ever such lists are compiled. Not really seeing how he is underrated.

Personally I'm not a fan of his work. But I wouldn't go as far as saying he doesn't deserve the plaudits he gets.

thrope said:
    and with that i'm going to have to bow out of this thread, before i waste 3 hours and 3000000000 words of my life. michael mann is the most underrated director on the planet.

Look man, we're just shooting the shit here. I don't see the need to expend more words to either say "Heat" hasn't aged well for me or that "I liked 'The Town' more than I thought I might."

But how is Mann the most underrated director on the planet? C'mon dude. Mann gets the props. Who is denying him his due?

• This movie is great.
    Starting to have more respect for Ben.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Rebecca Hall = latest in a string of semi-attractive actresses with zero charisma. This is the 2nd or 3rd film I've seen her in and I find her characters completely empty of anything compelling.

In any case, I liked "The Town"; I thought it was a slightly less-pretentious take on "Heat" (very similar narratives) with great pacing and decent acting. Solid and entertaining all around.

Hi Manny,

I cosine on all the above, except for the "semi-attractive" part. She is a beauty! She's not stopping traffic, but she's hot. Different strokes, I guess

Kindly,
    parallax

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Thought this was a pretty enjoyable action movie. I don't mind Ben Affleck. I don't hate him, but don't go out of my way to see his movies either. Liked the action, liked the story, liked the ending. Would recommend it as a good popcorn movie.

• peeped tonight on DVD.

this movie sucked.

the whole time I'm thinking "is this relationship between teh Boston bad boy and the sensitive civilian more embarrassingly derivative of Minnie Driver and Damon? Or Leo and Vera Farmiga?" Tough call.

Haha oh and when they had her working at the organic community garden!?!? hahaha. I almost fell out my seat.

did anyone else notice how Affleck is actually watching Heat at one point in the movie? (sorry if this was already pointed out; I think it's pretty funny how obvious Affleck's Heat infatuation is that he went so far as to "literally" reference it in his movie. how subtle.)

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    jeremy renner was great in this movie. he plays the charlestown/medford townie perfectly. the oxy/coke, xbox, redsox, never want to leave type of townie that are everywhere. affleck has douchey qualities for sure but i think he is an ok director and he makes better "boston" movies than anyone else right now. (clint eastwood and martin scorsese didn't fully get the feeling of it.)

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Wait, rootlesscosmo didn't like something???

Post your 2010 top 10 films!

PS - The Town = 6.5/10

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Baby Ray would like to remind you that ain't nuthin' like The Town.

• i enjoyed the film..

what ive never understood is when people state actors are one dimensional and always are the same person in all their films...ive heard this about keanu reeves, vin diesel, tom cruise, leo dicaprio, ben affleck, matthew mcconaughey etc.

always male actors. i dont remember hearing it about any actress.

but guess what? they still get paid, still have fans and live life.

if you dont enjoy their films, dont see them...

• spivy said:
    jeremy renner was great in this movie. he plays the charlestown/medford townie perfectly. the oxy/coke, xbox, redsox, never want to leave type of townie that are everywhere. affleck has douchey qualities for sure but i think he is an ok director and he makes better "boston" movies than anyone else right now. (clint eastwood and martin scorsese didn't fully get the feeling of it.)

I am perfectly willing to concede that the Boston references were authentic. I've never been there and don't really know about it. To ME the constant harping on the tough-guy nature of the neighborhoood, the people, etc. seemed gratuitous and self-indulgent on Affleck's part. But again I'm not really knowing.

but if you take out the 5-10% of the screentime devoted to Boston lingo, locations, etc. I think the movie -- as a heist/relationship/adventure/whatever movie -- othewise totally failed.

• DOR said:
    Wait, rootlesscosmo didn't like something???

Post your 2010 top 10 films!

PS - The Town = 6.5/10

haha well if you notice my strongest derision is directed at Hollywood. What can I say? I very, very rarely see interesting and original movies coming outta Hollywood. The Town was no exception.

"One last score man -- then I'm out!"

"I'm gonna take my sensitive, trusting girlfriend and LEAVE this place, man!"

"the loose cannon brother who will get them all killed"

"the short-sighted brother who can't see beyond the confines of the neighborhood and would never understand why someone would want to leave..."

etc. ad nauseum.

The Town was more of a string of cliches/archetypes than an actual, stand-alone piece of film making.

IMHO.

It was a decently executed genre film. Nothing more, nothing less.

I speculate "True Grit" will fit the same description.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

but if you take out the 5-10% of the screentime devoted to Boston lingo, locations, etc. I think the movie -- as a heist/relationship/adventure/whatever movie -- othewise totally failed.

this

while it is nice to see a film where the feel of Boston ( esp in j. Renner's and Blake Lively's characters) is realistically captured, most of the movie itself was ridiculous.

Just like in the Departed, the romance scenes were a drag. At least they didn't give the love interest a goofy accent in this film...

We're supposed to believe that 4 oxyhead townies could take on a swat team and the FBI (multiple times) and
    escape?