Most overrated artists ever

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Again, I don't get how people supposedly into rap can't fathom how much 2Pac genuinely meant to his fans. His critics talk about him being contrived or not that great a technical rapper...but c'mon, how much can you possibly miss the forest for the trees?

Does he have ANY flaws or do u rate him HIGH across all categories?

Can u tell the difference between a streak shooter vs a pure shooter?

When Dear Mama comes on and I feel like I'm hearing the most sentimental but still gangsta rap song ever made or when How Do You Want It gets played in the club and the place goes bananas, I'm not thinking of what art school Pac went to in Baltimore or that his verses aren't in perfect pentameter...really, don't be such a dork and appreciate the goodness already. Maybe in the end, you genuinely aren't sold, but it's like saying Babe Ruth wasn't good at hitting home runs. PLAESE TO STOP EMBARRASSING YASELF!

Could u stop dude. Ur the emotional herb everytime this dude gets mentioned.

I never called dude wack, but i will not place him in my top 10 because you said so.

He lacks somethin in an MC that I(ME) feel like should be held standard.

Yet dude pretty much set a NEW standard for Introspection as an MC.

U cant get your glasses all fogged up if there are folks that dont RATE HIM AS HIGH AS HIS CULT.

That doesnt diminish his impact.

Not sure how laughing at you with a whimsical middle finger raised gets labeled as "emotional", but...

Millions upon millions of those who lived through his topic matter were holding on to his every word in a way that hip-hop had never been taken seriously before/since...but somehow he "lacks something" as an mc???

Again, that's like saying none of Babe Ruth 714 homeruns went high enough over the fence for you.

You got every right to say it, but why?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Again, I don't get how people supposedly into rap can't fathom how much 2Pac genuinely meant to his fans. His critics talk about him being contrived or not that great a technical rapper...but c'mon, how much can you possibly miss the forest for the trees?

Does he have ANY flaws or do u rate him HIGH across all categories?

Can u tell the difference between a streak shooter vs a pure shooter?

When Dear Mama comes on and I feel like I'm hearing the most sentimental but still gangsta rap song ever made or when How Do You Want It gets played in the club and the place goes bananas, I'm not thinking of what art school Pac went to in Baltimore or that his verses aren't in perfect pentameter...really, don't be such a dork and appreciate the goodness already. Maybe in the end, you genuinely aren't sold, but it's like saying Babe Ruth wasn't good at hitting home runs. PLAESE TO STOP EMBARRASSING YASELF!

Could u stop dude. Ur the emotional herb everytime this dude gets mentioned.

I never called dude wack, but i will not place him in my top 10 because you said so.

He lacks somethin in an MC that I(ME) feel like should be held standard.

Yet dude pretty much set a NEW standard for Introspection as an MC.

U cant get your glasses all fogged up if there are folks that dont RATE HIM AS HIGH AS HIS CULT.

That doesnt diminish his impact.

Not sure how laughing at you with a whimsical middle finger raised gets labeled as "emotional", but...

Millions upon millions of those who lived through his topic matter were holding on to his every word in a way that hip-hop had never been taken seriously before/since...but somehow he "lacks something" as an mc???

Again, that's like saying none of Babe Ruth 714 homeruns went high enough over the fence for you.

You got every right to say it, but why?

I dont rate 1Sac as high on my list of MCs because i dont think his flow and wordplay is as good as other mcs.

Home Runs is ONE stat.
    Hit Records is ONE stat.

Filling up a stat sheet doesn't always bring rings, my man. You know this.

HarveyCanal said:

How many of the NBA 50 Greatest Players DONT have a RING?

batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

There's a few, but nobody in the top15 I would say off the top of my head.

There are rare cases where in any field figures get overrated. But in most cases, the Jimi Hendrix's, Bob Marley's, Kobe Bryant's, Bill Gates's, etc. of the world earn their notoreity in a way that no nitpicking could ever deny.

Plus, with 2Pac, I'd say that his hold on the true core audience for rap, which didn't come from him being a technician but an enigmatic leader, trumps any other rapper ever by long miles. Big and Jay-Z are probably the closest, but those dudes were far too me-me to even hold a candle to 2Pacs' us-us.

It's likely the symbolism that you are rejecting, but there is no 2Pac and no understanding of 2Pac without that symbolism.

HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

There are rare cases where in any field figures get overrated. But in most cases, the Jimi Hendrix's, Bob Marley's, Kobe Bryant's, Bill Gates's, etc. of the world earn their notoreity in a way that no nitpicking could ever deny.

Plus, with 2Pac, I'd say that his hold on the true core audience for rap, which didn't come from him being a technician but an enigmatic leader, trumps any other rapper ever by long miles. Big and Jay-Z are probably the closest, but those dudes were far too me-me to even hold a candle to 2Pacs' us-us.

It's likely the symbolism that you are rejecting, but there is no 2Pac and no understanding of 2Pac without that symbolism.

Your sayin what he reps was a deeper connection than any other MC in Hip Hop History? Fine.
    I wont question that, but should i factor that next to lyrical innovation or paradigm shifts in content?
    His fans deep love is now part of the ratings system?
    Where does that leave Insane Clown Posse?

batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Your sayin what he reps was a deeper connection than any other MC in Hip Hop History? Fine.
    I wont question that, but should i factor that next to lyrical innovation or paradigm shifts in content?

Who are Insane Clown Posse's fans? Never met one in my life...

C'mon now...plus, there was indeed a lyrical-related paradigm shift that followed Pac...which for instance gave us Z-Ro.

You're trying too hard not to see the obvious.

Youngsters don't even know who Rakim is. But they can recite some 2Pac.

HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

C'mon now...plus, there was indeed a lyrical-related paradigm shift that followed Pac...which for instance gave us Z-Ro.

Reciting 1Sac isnt enough to sway my ears when i hear him.

Dear Mama yes. Juggalos reciting Dear Mama - NO.

HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

You know how many real people you have to look past to cite Juggalo's reciting 2Pac?

Again, you are trying way too hard on this one. But it's expected, I guess.

Undeniable GOAT status...

HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

You know how many real people you have to look past to cite Juggalo's reciting 2Pac?

Again, you are trying way too hard on this one. But it's expected, I guess.

I know "real" people that dont place dude on your pedestal.

I rate him, you overrate him. Its simple.

Yeah, it's just me.

This is why we can't have nice things anymore.

• Options
    PelvicDust said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    People are entitled to like whoever they like or don't like. That said, same people should be able to delineate "I don't like xyz" from "xyz are overrated"

MJ and the beatles and prince are overrated? Gtfoohwtb. Take a look through your record collections and chart the sheer amount of influence these artists have had on other popular musicians. This isn't even an argument worth having, their "ratedness" is sitting in your expedit.

So you don't like them personally, that's fine, but when people all over the world cherish thier musical legacy, it's kind of hard to be critical.

Let's not turn soulstrut into the teaparty of music criticism.

All art is in a constant state of reassessment and subject to criticism at any time.

Recorded music hasn't been around very long historically speaking.

Thirty years ago people would have laughed out loud if you'd said that in 2010 Michael Jackson would be widely considered to have been more important than Stevie Wonder, or that the Sex Pistols would dance on Rick Wakeman's grave.

Really dude, thirty years ago?
    From wiki:

Released in 1979, it was the first album to generate four U.S. top 10 hits, including the chart-topping singles "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough" and "Rock with You".[16] It reached number three on the Billboard 200 and eventually sold over 20 million copies worldwide.[17] In 1980, Jackson won three awards at the American Music Awards for his solo efforts: Favorite Soul/R&B Album, Favorite Soul/R&B Male Artist, and Favorite Soul/R&B Single for "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough".[18][19] That year, he also won Billboard Year-End for Top Black Artist and Top Black Album and a Grammy Award for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance, also for "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough".[16] Jackson again won at the American Music Awards in 1981 for Favorite Soul/R&B Album and Favorite Soul/R&B Male Artist.[20] Despite its commercial success, Jackson felt Off the Wall should have made a much bigger impact, and was determined to exceed expectations with his next release.[21] In 1980, he secured the highest royalty rate in the music industry: 37 percent of wholesale album profit.[22]

cmon son. four corners of the world were immitating or geeked of MJ in 1980.

Wonder didn't get his first platinum till 1980

Hotter than July (1980) became Wonder's first platinum-selling single album, and its single "Happy Birthday" was a successful vehicle for his campaign to establish Dr. Martin Luther King's birthday as a national holiday.

WHY ARE WE ARGUING ABOUT THIS?

Yall need to trim your mindgardens with some realityclippers sometimes.

You know dude's parents/peers werent playin Off The Wall in his house.
    They all jumped on for Thriller like a GANG of folks.

I don't give a shit about Wonder or "MJ." Not one single shit.

So I should have said "32 years ago." Whatever, it's just an example. And the "platinum" bit is irrelevant that asks about "overrated" by critics and fans of the band. Numbers sold has nothing to do with it that I can see.

Stevie Wonder was a major critical darling in the 70s. I was there and I remember. I'm not saying he still is, since obviously his rep in that circle has fallen.

Meanwhile it's funny how Jackson's fans are well on the way to basing a religion on him. I wonder where they'll find their altar boys.

• bassie said:
    So...what's the difference between 'shit I don't like' and 'overrated' again?

haha and I'd like to add another relevant question: What's the difference between "shit I actually really do like adn recognize as important" and "overrated"?

cause THIS is what fools in here don't seem to understand.

I mentioned MJ. He obviously has some amazing material and was a huge influence on music and I love his music (why am I even having to say this?!?!) BUT he is/was overrated.

no one and I mean NO ONE deserves the type of weird fanatical love he gets (mostly in Europe and Asia). that's all I'm saying. he could be the best artist in any genre ever and I'd still say overrated, based on the insane following he inspired/inspires overseas.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Open question to everyone: who ISN'T overrated?

• Options
    day said:

Just squint and read the thread backwards.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    lol

day said:

Yea, I was going to ask the same thing.
    We need some standardized testing here. Who deserves all the cookies and apple juice they receive?
    (How many of the same names already mentioned will come up?)

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    bassie said:
    lol

day said:

Yea, I was going to ask the same thing.
    We need some standardized testing here. Who deserves all the cookies and apple juice they receive?
    (How many of the same names already mentioned will come up?)

Probably quite a few. I don't understand what's so hard about differentiating personal taste from artists who deserve their accolades. I'm not a big fan of 2Pac, but I wouldn't say he's overrated. He made a huge impact on people, and even if I don't like his style of rapping, I can still give him props.

People shitting on timeless, world famous artists because they don't like them personally are missing the whole point of this.

• I hear you. But I also think people who conflate "recognizing that an artist is overrated" with "shitting on" said artist also miss the point of these threads (not saying you are doing this; but it's happening here).

I would never shit on MJ generally as an artist, but he's overrated as hell.

As soon as someone hears the name of one of their preferred artists mentioned in a thread re: overratedness, there is a tendency to cry foul, e.g. "oh hell nah I LOVE his output...."

Okay, maybe I love his output too. But he doesn't necessarily deserve to have babies named after him....

• Options
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Okay, maybe I love his output too. But he doesn't necessarily deserve to have babies named after him....

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1287658

http://www.rollitup.org/general-marijuana-growing/207289-strain-weed-named-after-michael-6.html

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Overrated has nothing to do with what we may or may not love.
    That is a totally different conversation.

Over-emphasizing the importance of an artist's contribution/value/etc. is the point of these threads...well, the potential point if it didn't de-rail so quickly. Overrated is objective; not that one doesn't see what the big deal is.

I am not a big fan of Michael's in the grand scheme of things, but there is no way he is overrated.
    He is one of the folks I would say gets the right amount of shine for what he achieved, its scope and impact on people.

It may seem like an obvious one, but I think it's a good example still. Lady Gaga is overrated. Even if we strip away the pop hype, she is treated like a vanguard in almost every way that she is not.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    fan
    noun
    a person who has a strong interest in or admiration for a particular sport, art form, or famous person

fanatical
    adjective
    filled with excessive and single-minded zeal

If someone has fanatical fans, does that automatically qualify them as being overrated?

overrate
    verb [ trans. ] [often as adj. ] ( overrated)
    have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved

Or do they deserve to be overrated by some, as it an inevitable part of fame.

-

I reckon you could create a mathematical equation to work out if an artist is overrated or not.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    day said:

The consensus at Waxidermy was Kraftwerk. After months of discussion they were the only band that didn't have at least one person poo pooing their oeuvre.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Defending the Beach Boys

Every true musical genius is a lunatic on some level.

Brian Wilson fits that bill.

But due to a one-in-a-million perfect storm of capitalist/Capitolist greed in combo with an evil stage father, he was plugged in to this pop hit making machine of mediocrity.

The early Beach Boys stuff is kiddie level pop that found a decent size audience and still thrills the Hot Rod/Surf nostalgia crowd.

I would love to hear a Brian Wilson who was broke and fameless recording Smiley Smile in his room on a 4 track.

Instead we got a lunatic with a bottomless recording budget and the pressure to record hit songs in order to keep a large number of people happy who depended on him.

He could have been Daniel Johnston, Skip Spence and Bobb Trimble rolled in to one.

Instead he was like a retarded Brill Building savant who can't deal with reality.

What the Beach Boys were is over rated.

What they could/should have been is under-rated.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    "In My Room" is as "Loner" as it gets.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    bassie said:
    It may seem like an obvious one, but I think it's a good example still. Lady Gaga is overrated. Even if we strip away the pop hype, she is treated like a vanguard in almost every way that she is not.

It may be too soon to say if she's overrate or not. But if you did 'strip away the pop hype' who's left saying she's the vanguard of anything?

• Rockadelic said:
    Defending the Beach Boys

Every true musical genius is a lunatic on some level.

Brian Wilson fits that bill.

But due to a one-in-a-million perfect storm of capitalist/Capitolist greed in combo with an evil stage father, he was plugged in to this pop hit making machine of mediocrity.

The early Beach Boys stuff is kiddie level pop that found a decent size audience and still thrills the Hot Rod/Surf nostalgia crowd.

I would love to hear a Brian Wilson who was broke and fameless recording Smiley Smile in his room on a 4 track.

Instead we got a lunatic with a bottomless recording budget and the pressure to record hit songs in order to keep a large number of people happy who depended on him.

He could have been Daniel Johnston, Skip Spence and Bobb Trimble rolled in to one.

Instead he was like a retarded Brill Building savant who can't deal with reality.

This is one of the best takes on Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys I've read.

The 'genius' of Brian Wilson escaped me for many years, as I don't like most of the Beach Boys stuff, but 'Til I Die' is what finally got me.

MLJ should be along to drop some hatt any moment now...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    DrWu said:
    day said:

The consensus at Waxidermy was Kraftwerk. After months of discussion they were the only band that didn't have at least one person poo pooing their oeuvre.
    What about Jimi Hendrix?

Curtis Mayfield?

• Options
    Rockadelic said:

This is entirely possible, but we'll never know.

Of course that's more a defense of Wilson than of the whole group. And the group always included Mike Love, who seems like a major asshole and a minor talent.