Phil Collins..

OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
has brought out a Motown & Soul classics covers album!

Track listing:
Girl (Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)
(Love Is Like A) Heatwave
Uptight (Everything's Alright)
Some Of Your Lovin'
In My Lonely Room
Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me A Little While)
Blame It On The Sun
Papa Was A Rolling Stone
Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer
Standing In The Shadows Of Love
Do I Love You
Jimmy Mack
Something About You
Love Is Here And Now You're Gone
Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever
Going To A Go-Go
Talking About My Baby
Goin' Back

He told a German newspaper, "I want the songs to sound exactly like the originals".

Erm.. Only with a shit singer.. right?

It must be fun to that rich.

Apparently, so he could still play, they had to tape the drumsticks to his hands, cause his nerves are all fusked up due to some major surgery.

Comments

• Options
    Thought he was dead.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    He needs to stick to prog. His work in the 70s and 80s was very innovative and groundbreaking for pop music.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    RAJ said:
    He needs to stick to prog. His work in the 70s and 80s was very innovative and groundbreaking for pop music.

Yes!! Dude got soft when Disney came knocking. He definitely got caked up though.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Rod Stewart redux.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    dude's an absolute beast.

nuff said. don't necessarily need to hear motown covers from him, but he still rules, IMO.

• Woimsah said:

nuff said. don't necessarily need to hear motown covers from him, but he still rules, IMO.

Can you recommend any more Collins heat?

• Options
    PelvicDust said:
    Thought he was dead.

Phil Collins is alive and well and living in Switzerland.

Back in high school (mid '80s), just to be a dick, I told this one dude I knew (who was a huge Genesis fan) that Phil Collins had just died in a plane crash. I played it straight. Dude was crestfallen.

Phil Collins is dope. Great drummer and occasionally intense vocalist (I dig how worked up he gets on tracks like "Mama" and "I Don't Care Anymore".)

Dude is also an Alamo obsessive. How cool is that?! http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Alamo_is_new_passion_for_singer_Phil_Collins.html

• Okem said:

He told a German newspaper, "I want the songs to sound exactly like the originals".

Why cover them then? Don't need PC to spread awareness of Motown

• leonleon 883 Posts
    tabira said:
    Okem said:

I don't need PC in MY LIFE. Period.

• leon said:
    tabira said:
    Okem said:

Haters should see the VH-1 "Classic Albums" documentary on the Face Value album. The dude did some extremely innovative things on that album using tape machines and keyboards. Not to mention... he is a SICK drummer.

This video blew my mind when I was 8.

Another heater with PC on drums:

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    leon said:
    tabira said:
    Okem said:

My thoughts exactly!

:nagl:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    tabira said:
    Okem said:

The soul covers album is the final refuge of the artistically barren.

I should add that I too think he's a great drummer, but that doesn't mean I want to hear him do Papa Was A Rolling Stone.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    djwaxon said:
    Woimsah said:

Can you recommend any more Collins heat?

I mean, that's the my fav album cut. I'm assuming you know all the hits, no?

There are, of course, the joints where he employed EWF's horn section:

Genesis - No Reply At All
    Uploaded by jpdc11. - See the latest featured music videos.

• my first memory of phil collins is this song:

he seems to be repeating himself here....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Breez said:
    RAJ said:

Yes!! Dude got soft when Disney came knocking. He definitely got caked up though.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

DocMcCoy said:

DocMcCoy said:

DocMcCoy said:

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

Do you think the one CRAIG DAVID has therefore shot his last artistic bolt some time ago?

The album received mixed to negative reviews from music critics. One of the fews positive reviews came from The Guardian's critic Carolinne Sullivan, which say that "Craig David's intention, on this Motown-dominated covers album, was to "sing the songs exactly as the original artists had", which he does, reproducing every falsetto and hiccup". But she say that "The question, though, is why this still-agreeable soul star would want to make a karaoke record. It's a rum way to reignite a career ??? he needs to recover his mojo as an irresistibly slick R&B songwriter if he plans to return to the top of the charts". In a hand of negative reviews, Davey Boy from Sputnikmusic considerate the album "very poor" and say that "it's a desperate karaoke LP which may sign, seal & deliver the end of a career".

• Woimsah said:
    djwaxon said:
    Woimsah said:

thanks for the links...I'm not into any of them as much as I'm Not Moving - its got the late 70's AOR thing i like. I find it odd that it's on the same album as In The Air Tonight, the two couldn't sound any more different!

RE the Motown Covers - why these artists doing the covers want to make them sounds just like the originals is beyond me, why would you do something like that without putting your own slant on it? I guess its trying to cash in on the new old sound as per Winehouse, Plan B etc.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    RE the Motown Covers - why these artists doing the covers want to make them sounds just like the originals is beyond me, why would you do something like that without putting your own slant on it? I guess its trying to cash in on the new old sound as per Winehouse, Plan B etc.
    Hey now listen please do not make Phil look like some commercial cat that's in it for The Money
    He' s just keepin it real

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I have no problem w/ a Quasi mid-level Blue-Eyed Soul artist like Collins returning to Motown-era joints and trying to engineer the shit to sound even more "authentic" than Winehouse and them.

Mike Macdonald I think made a killin' with old folks doin Motown shit.

Im open to Phil's interpretations.

That Big Chill steez will be around for minute.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    In other news, I got a PR notification the other day that Ali Campbell is releasing an album of interpretations of Great British Songs

Ali has reworked hits from the 60s and 70s starting with 1964???s ???You Really Got Me Going??? by The Kinks and The Beatles??? ???Hard Day???s Night??? and including songs by Rolling Stones, The Hollies, Rod Stewart, Free, and The Who and, last but not least, 1978???s Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty,

Arguably a brave move, but one that appealed to the man whose distinctive voice has graced over 40 top 40 UK singles and 4 number 1 world-wide singles: ???It???s always daunting taking on classic songs of this nature as you want to do them justice and at the same time give them a new feel ??? a reggae feel in this case. I chose songs that were iconic but they are not ???obvious??? choices that you would assume would work in a reggae style. How do you make ???Paint it Black??? reggae? That is the appeal in some ways ??? that it???s not something you can imagine before you hear it.??? he explains.

Tracklisting
    1. Got To Get You Into My Life ??? The Beatles
    2. Paint It Black- Rolling Stones
    3. He Ain???t Heavy, He???s My Brother ??? The Hollies
    4. Love Is The Drug ??? Roxy Music
    5. Honky Tonk Women ??? Rolling Stones
    6. Carrie Anne ??? The Hollies
    7. You Wear It Well ??? Rod Stewart
    8. Squeeze Box ??? The Who
    9. All Right Now ??? Free
    10. You Really Got Me ??? The Kinks
    11. A Hard Day???s Night ??? The Beatles
    12. Baker Street ??? Gerry Rafferty

I don't mind giving Phil a pass but Campbell...........Campbell can go fuck right off.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    See, this is what I find so strange about this kind of thing. For the most part, the dudes who fall back on these albums of soul/oldies covers or Great Blahzayblah Songbook projects are neither short of a few quid, nor lacking in familiarity ??? right now, somewhere in the world, there's probably a radio station playing a Phil Collins/Genesis song or a UB40 song. You have to wonder, therefore, what exactly is the motivation here?

???I need a hit??? - Yeah, but do you really? And, if so, does it have to be by desperately aping Levi Stubbs' phrasing on yet another cover of Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever? Levi Stubbs, Phil! C'mon, son. Not as long as you've got a hole in your arse.

???It worked before, it'll work again. And again??? - We all know how many times UB40 have returned to that particular well. They've now virtually abandoned the concept of an album of original material altogether, and Ali Campbell has clearly chosen the safest possible platform from which to launch his solo career.

???You'll make a mint!???
    - Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. Expensive divorce? Big tax bill? Costly legal proceedings against former band members? Can't be bothered auditing your publisher/label, but still fancy that beachfront property in Ibiza/Miami/Mauritius? Do a covers album. It'll put you back on the radio somewhere, if nothing else.

I take batmon's point about the Big Chill generation, but I can't let the comparison between Phil Collins and Michael McDonald stand. McDonald is a true blue-eyed soul voice, and one of the greatest of the last 30 years. Collins, on the other hand, is someone who surrounds himself with the signifiers of classic soul/r&b, such as the EW&F horn section and the ersatz Motown stylings he's hit big with before, in the hope that he will appear soulful as a consequence. It's like every rock band of the 70s that drafted in a troupe of black girl singers and a percussionist with a 'fro or a Donny Hathaway po'boy cap to try and make themselves look fon-kay. Most of the time, they just looked like they were trying way too hard. This'll probably end up being Collins' biggest hit in years, but let's not kid ourselves that the world actually needs any more records like this, especially ones where the main artistic impulse seems to be to sound as much like the originals as possible. I mean, what on earth for?

Unexpectedly for me, the only thing of this nature I've heard in recent years which didn't seem completely and utterly perfunctory was Mick Hucknall's Tribute To Bobby, an album of Bobby Blue Bland covers. He steered clear of the obvious, done-to-death songs (Stormy Monday excepted), and didn't dress them up in self-consciously retro arrangements either. No substitute for the originals, of course, but nevertheless clearly done for the love and surprisingly listenable as well.

• lamprey eel said:

Pretty cool. Actually pretty great. Made my day in small way to read the words "Alamo" and "basement" in the same paragraph (Pee Wee's Big Adventure-related). The fact that it was in reference to Phil Collins' storing "hundreds" of cannonballs from the Alamo in his basement in Switzerland was just a bonus. I mean, WTF -- how does one store that more cannonballs? It's odd that really rich people can pick something so random as the focus of their collection. I could really be into the Strait of Gibraltar but I don't have the cannonballs to acquire the really baller Gibraltar collectibles.

Collins would have been much cooler, however, if he brought his hobby and career together, in a prog-themed Texas Revolution record, on some fireside reveries shit. That would be much more interesting than the Motown covers.

• Seems like a vanity project to me.
    Im not sure Phil Collins needs to worry about making millions per records anymore...though i could be wrong. Maybe all his $ was with Madoff and Lehman Brothers.

• I overheard a conversation between two grocery baggers at the store yesterday. The one was talking about how late Zeppelin sucked because they had Phil Collins playing drums. I felt walking away was the best choice.

Dude's playing is sturdy though.