Paglia: "Lady Gaga and the Death of Sex"

13»

Comments

• J i m s t e r said:

GLEEK / GLEETARD OUTED ^^^^

hey no one butchers parliament funkadelic quite like glee.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    J i m s t e r said:

GLEEK / GLEETARD OUTED ^^^^

hey no one butchers parliament funkadelic quite like glee.

What did you expect? They're a bunch of kids on a TV musical.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bassie said:
    batmon said:
    bassie said:
    tabira said:
    bassie said:

I have always put Gaga closer to Marilyn Manson than Madonna. If you want to be kind and call Gaga subversive, her tactics and aesthetics are much closer to Manson???s beautiful monster, costumed androgyny.

You're not alone

The Guardian said:
    Part of Gaga's brilliance is the way she plays with the darker currents in popular culture, which are hardly hidden away. She's as much Marilyn Manson as Madonna
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/sep/13/camille-paglia-lady-gaga

Excellent! I will submit my article on how to properly put records away in their sleeves tomorrow!
    edit - is that article from the future??? is there anything in there about me finally finding a Blackman Akeeb LP?

Not to flog a dead horse, but to flog a dead horse - this Madonna reinventing herself thing that folks always go on about....she is a smart business person and like we all heard on The Wire, when the quality goes down, repackage that shit.
    If you want to really talk about reinventing oneself, let's talk about Tina Turner and Marianne Faithfull...Cher even.

Im not folks - u talkin to me.

Tina Turner was 'dead' for years before she resurfaced in the 80's as a 40 year old.
    Cher was irrelavant in the 80's.
    Madonna is MTV era theatrics. It set a NEW steez.
    X-tina = Cher????

I'm talking to everyone.
    Madonna's everchanging looks, music and sales tactics are not news exclusive to this thread.
    It has been discussed, written about, etc. from time.

My point about reinvention was not time-specific, I am not sure what Tina Turner's absence has anything to do with it and this is Cher in 1986:

1986, Madonna was in her leather jacket, blond mop Papa Don't Preach stage, she couldn't even spell theatrics then.

...and given Believe came out in the 1980s - I think there are a few hundred thousand club-goers who would disagree on the irrelevancy point. But that is getting off-topic.

Believe came out in 1998. Irrelevant in the 80's.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Sorry, wrong hit - Turn Back Time.

Isn't this fun?

• batmon said:

Cher in the 80's:

One Platinum record

One triple platinum record

over 10 million albums sold

Academy Award (Best Actress)

Golden Globe Award

Best Actress at Cannes

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    batmon said:

Cher in the 80's:

One Platinum record

One triple platinum record

over 10 million albums sold

Academy Award (Best Actress)

Golden Globe Award

Best Actress at Cannes

I guess she did INFLUENCE a gang of POP artists in the 90/00 w/ that Resume...Sheesh.

I didnt realize Brittany Spears is referencing Silkwood > Truth or Dare & Desperately Seeking Susan.

Please to superimpose Cher circa Mask era.

As far as theatrics - Like A Virgin MTV performance doesnt qualify?

• Flomotion said:
    Camille Paglia articles are always about her favourite subject - Camille Paglia.

This is why this article is a big yawn to me - it's just another baseless proclamation by somebody who is desperate to call attention to themselves by making a 'controversial' statement (while piggybacking on somebody else's fame).

I also can't escape the feeling that she knows next to nothing about Lady Gaga and wrote this based entirely on secondhand impressions (no lyric quotes, no mention of specific songs or events etc.).