displaying records

dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
so here the deal i am looking for a way to display some of my records on the wall, i'd like to be able to take the records off the wall to be played, so being in framed cases isnt the best idea nor would putting them in plastic sleeves and tacking them to the wall (that seems tacky, no pun intended), i was thinking about cutting a strip/groove into some solid 2x2 and putting it up on the wall (like youd see in yer local record store)

sumthin like this minus the plexi : http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/04/17/alg_rebel_records.jpg

but um not sure if thats the best either, just looking for some ideas...or what others have done to display some of their records...

thanx

Comments

• what if you put it like the way a sliding screen door sits in a bottom and top runner, where you insert it up into the top and then it sits in the lower, but it doesnt come down so far that it falls out of the top part. then it will lay flat against the wall. does that make sense?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I remember the general consensus being: records on the wall at home is not grown and sexy.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    these are nice frames, but records slip in and out for easy access

• Reynaldo said:
    I remember the general consensus being: records on the wall at home is not grown and sexy.

I think if you had a room devoted to records it might be okay.

I would never do it though.

• sabadabada said:
    what if you put it like the way a sliding screen door sits in a bottom and top runner, where you insert it up into the top and then it sits in the lower, but it doesnt come down so far that it falls out of the top part. then it will lay flat against the wall. does that make sense?

yeah i think um feeling what your saying...

@rey, yeah um not really into the "record sexy look" or anything like that these are going to be on the wall of my studio, so it isnt going to look like some "out of place shit"

i really like the glass frames and shit, but i cant see me wanted to take records in and out all time which is why i was trying to stay away from sumthin like that...but if its my only option (which is doubtful) i'll do it...

• Hey Brian, do you have a link for those frames?

• Reynaldo said:

fuck that. i got a lounge before my bedroom where i have my decks and an expedit set up. blank wall over the record. i definitely have plans to run a couple lengths of wood strips in order to place a dozen or so records.

regarding the initial post, instead of ripping grooves in strips of wood, it may be less time consuming and more ornate to just buy a stretch of molding that already has that groove built in. i saw some today at the lumber yard that had about a 3/4 offset.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    ... i saw some today at the lumber yard...

So fucking butch.

• dj_cityboy said:
    sabadabada said:
    what if you put it like the way a sliding screen door sits in a bottom and top runner, where you insert it up into the top and then it sits in the lower, but it doesnt come down so far that it falls out of the top part. then it will lay flat against the wall. does that make sense?

yeah i think um feeling what your saying...

@rey, yeah um not really into the "record sexy look" or anything like that these are going to be on the wall of my studio, so it isnt going to look like some "out of place shit"

i really like the glass frames and shit, but i cant see me wanted to take records in and out all time which is why i was trying to stay away from sumthin like that...but if its my only option (which is doubtful) i'll do it...

kind of like this works.

only they would be long strips so you could pop in a whle row of records, and of course you wouldn't need sides although you would be able to insert the records from the front anywhere and wouldnt have to slide them in from the sides.

• ^^ THIS!

yeah thats what um saying...i dont mind cutting the wood myself as i have the gear to do it, but yeah if i could get sumthin that is "pre" cut and ready to go that would be better and faster....id wipped up some paint action real quick here at work, nuthin fancy/pretty/sexy but without photoshop what can ya do...
    Attached files

• if you have it just bottom groove with nothing holding the top in, it could fall forward and bend the cover.

• ^^ yeah, but if i put it out just enough it would fall back on the wall and not...

i like that molding/stripping you posted...looks almost perfect, if i put that on top of the shitty pic i did...that would pretty well be perfect for what i am looking for...

• http://www.barrier-components.co.uk/materials/dura_durus_lit.pdf

Im sure you can find similar stuff anywhere

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Hey Brian, do you have a link for those frames?

oh yeah sorry, they're form TTLAB: http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/42/2204/67455.html

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Is anyone else afraid to display records? I can't even bear to take them out of alphabetical order. I've seen too many hipsters stick them on walls with thumbtacks in the middle. They collect dust and then we start threads about how to clean vinyl. If anything, be gentle!

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i told people i was building a record wall once and was almost crucified. i actually did it and was like "yea i don't know about this thing" it reminded me of having Guns n Roses posters when i was like 10. like what if a girl comes over?

it was short lived. may i suggest an Expedit?

• Putting an unnecessary flat reflective surface in a studio is a bonehead move

• I would put up fabric wrapped 703 2x4 and leave the breakz in da cratez

• Use J-channel and cut it to size. put a strip of 1/4" weather stripping in the bottom channel.

You can leave it natural or paint it and it's cheap as hell.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    Putting an unnecessary flat reflective surface in a studio is a bonehead move

• yeah um definitely not looking to get plexi involved what so ever, thats almost as shitty as tacking em up...and um not talking about jamming a shit load of records on my walls either, um on some 6 or 8 type business or maybe even less then that..

hoping to have sumthin planned by the weekend, hurricane on its way...gotta find something to kill time..lol

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    Putting an unnecessary flat reflective surface in DA LAB is a bonehead move

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I'm constantly changing the "record wall" in my house and what I did was: get a bunch of blank donut/disco covers and put your records in them and just display the record's cover. It's a lot lighter and easier to hang, plus if they would fall for some reason you don't need to worry about damaging the record. Record covers barely weigh anything so you can hang them in the plastic sleeve with push pins or do the frames. Either way, it simple and easy but I stand by removing the vinyl 1st and foremost.

Hope this was helpful.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    those are some Japanese frames I bought for padding the boxes I sent back home a couple of months ago. Cost about $10 each. Pretty swish. Next time I go to Japan, I will buy 100 and plaster the house with da RAER.

There were ones 3 times more expensive with glass covering the front, but they looked mad corny! and heavy!

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    djsheep said:

Nice covers. Digging the wood paneling!

• Breez said:
    I'm constantly changing the "record wall" in my house and what I did was: get a bunch of blank donut/disco covers and put your records in them and just display the record's cover. It's a lot lighter and easier to hang, plus if they would fall for some reason you don't need to worry about damaging the record. Record covers barely weigh anything so you can hang them in the plastic sleeve with push pins or do the frames. Either way, it simple and easy but I stand by removing the vinyl 1st and foremost.

Hope this was helpful.

exactly. Just take the records out and then file them in plain sleeves in a section labeled "Da Bomb" or maybe "I like to look at these" or maybe even "Pwetty Covers."

• I'm assuming the first record you'll display will be the infamous baby cover album by the beatles.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I made these from some spare wood trim I had. A couple passes over the table saw, sand the corners, and two pilot holes for screws. Fits single and double lps. No need to secure them at the top. I keep 9 of them staggered on the wall in my record room. I'm going to re-make them soon with countersunk holes I can fill so the screws don't show.

• you could countersink em with a forstner bit in the existing piece