Records with Holograms (RR)

willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
Picked up this Olatunji LP, pretty much only for the cover. it's got a hologram on it of a guy's hands playing percussion! in my little dude experience i've never seen anything like this. any other examples of holograms on either record covers, inserts, gatefolds, or maybe even the record/label itself??

here's a (cellphone) video:

Comments

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    STYX/PARADISE THEATRE and SPLIT ENZ/TRUE COLOURS are the only ones i know about...

^^ tssss not sure what happened there, my bbcode is correct..

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Dave Clark's Time. This has a hologram of an old bloke on it...the record it doo doo though.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I have a record called Moving Percussion that has a large holographic image on it. Captain Beyond's s/t lp also has a cool hologram image on it.

• the most obvious/mainstream example, maybe...

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Some of the photos above aren' t working for me, bit still cool but also kind of gaudy.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    ^ yeah not sure whats wrong with mine the bbcode is fine and the pics are in my PB account, makes no sense to me why they arent displaying...

• This is being completely anal and nitpicky, but some of those are lenticular images, not holograms. The Prince album is a hologram. That Rolling Stones cover is a lenticular.

It wasn't an album cover, but I remember "State Of Euphoria" by Anthrax came with a hologram sticker inside. I got that album in 1988 when I was 14 and back then holograms still seemed pretty space-age and futuristic. This scan kinda sucks, but you can't really scan holograms worth crap.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    There is a Johnny Cash lp (one of his religious one) with him stading holding a bible that goes for some $.

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    mrmatthew said:
    There is a Johnny Cash lp (one of his religious one) with him stading holding a bible that goes for some $.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I'm pretty sure the lenticular on the Olatunji Lp is not OG, but was added on later.

I've had that record at least a hundred times and I don't remember seeing it before.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Tuff_Gong said:
    This is being completely anal and nitpicky, but some of those are lenticular images, not holograms.

Ha ha, I was going to post that, but decided I was being to anal. Lenticular images are fairly cheap to manufacture, used a lot in kids toys etc, so not surprising thy were /are used. They move, generally holograms are static. And more expensive.

• Options
    That split endz one is hologramed into the vinyl wax, right?

I think thats the one I saw. It was amazing?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    lilmonstu said:
    That split endz one is hologramed into the vinyl wax, right?

I think thats the one I saw. It was amazing?

yes. laser etched.

a dollar bin common in just about every country i have dug in.

good album though, Kiwi classic.

the Euroman cover is blue with yellow negative space spelling 'ENZ', the US version is red with green neg. space. Ironically I have no fucking clue what the Kiwi one looks like.

I copped a feel in 1985 while watching the laser etched vinyl light show dance off Joanne Bosman 's mum's record player onto her ceiling.

Joanne Bosman was a slut.