A public apology for himself, his brother and Bob Marley???s family.

2»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The article never says what was offensive about the shirt.

The person filing the complaint appears to feel that it was his skin color that offended the park, not the shirt.

• Options
    PelvicDust said:
    Also, roller coasters are a whole lot more fun when you're stoned.

We'll even disagree on this! Roller Coasters are much more fun and exhilerating when experienced through the full capacity of one's clear sober senses being in effect, not clouded and dulled by the debilitating influence of dope.

Acid, on the other hand, is a different story.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    [del]Also, roller coasters are a whole lot more fun when you're stoned[/del].

So is the ironing. How about..

PelvicDust said:
    Being stoned is a whole lot more fun when you're on a roller coaster.

• yer smokin the wrong schitt, leech!

• Options
    LaserWolf said:

The person filing the complaint appears to feel that it was his skin color that offended the park, not the shirt.

Huh?

bassie said:
    The Canadian Press
    MONTREAL???

His grey T-shirt features a design that includes a black-and-white image of the late reggae legend and a cluster of green, marijuana-shaped leaves.

La Ronde says on its website it strictly enforces a dress code that states clothing with rude, vulgar or offensive language and graphics are not permitted.

• Options
    Here's what the park website actually says:

"Dress Code: In keeping with our family-friendly atmosphere, and for health and safety reasons, La Ronde strictly enforces a dress code. Proper attire must be worn in the park at all times, including shirts and appropriate footwear. Clothing with rude, vulgar or offensive language or graphics is not permitted at any time (shirts cannot be turned inside out as a solution). Park admission may be denied if clothing is deemed by management to be inappropriate."

I don't think a reasonable person can read that and conclude that the Marley shirt violates the policy. (Not in Montreal, anyway: http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/1886.html )

I'll bet a Budweiser shirt wouldn't be picked out for violation.

It's also interesting that they violated their own stated policy about turning the shirt inside out.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    lamprey eel said:
    LaserWolf said:

Huh?

bassie said:
    The Canadian Press
    MONTREAL???

His grey T-shirt features a design that includes a black-and-white image of the late reggae legend and a cluster of green, marijuana-shaped leaves.

La Ronde says on its website it strictly enforces a dress code that states clothing with rude, vulgar or offensive language and graphics are not permitted.

So?
    The journalist describes the t-shirt. So?
    The company policy says nothing about marijuana leaves. Seems far fetch to say that leaves are rude. Or vulgar. Or even offensive.
    The Park does not comment on why Moise was singled out.
    Moise does:
    Moise, who is black, alleges staff singled him out because they associate a black man wearing a Marley shirt with something deviant or criminal.
    Clearly it is his contention that he was singled out because of his skin color.
    It is unclear to me, from the article, what is offensive about his shirt. Marijuana leaves? Offensive? In Montreal? Huh?

IF moise can show that the park routinely targets Blacks for dress code violations, while giving whites wearing the similar clothes a pass, he will have a strong case.

• PelvicDust said:
    To be fair to Six Flags, they have also been targeted by bigots:

http://www.teapartypatriots.org/BlogPostView.aspx?id=3e3c9354-e295-4195-bb8a-0e50fd522cf9

These Tea Party characters need to stop. Muslim Day has been going on for years at Six Flags. What?! A Muslim can't ride Superman or Batwing without ridicule?!

• PelvicDust said:
    I'll bet a Budweiser shirt wouldn't be picked out for violation.

Yeah, I mean it all sort of rests on that, IMO.

If they wouldn't allow a shirt with prominent displays of beer or beer companies, then you really can't get upset that they don't allow a shirt w/marijuana leaves. You can argue about the merits of banning "drug"-related shirts, but any calls of racism or the like are totally unfounded.

I don't know though, I'm pretty skeptical that they would stop a fat white dude with a big sloshing beer mug on his shirt from entering a 6-Flags....

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    PelvicDust said:
    Let's grant that they have the right to have a dickish policy, though they should enforce it fairly. But they're still dicks for having a dumbass policy against Marley shirts in the first place.

Didn't Fenway Park ban T-Shirts that say "Yankees Suck"??

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    PelvicDust said:
    Let's grant that they have the right to have a dickish policy, though they should enforce it fairly. But they're still dicks for having a dumbass policy against Marley shirts in the first place.

Yeah, but I think marketing was the real reason behind that. Those shirts were so popular that they were cutting down on the sales of official Red Sox "apparel."

I guess the Rangers don't like the shirts, either:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/053009dnmetshirt.2a399355.html

Of course the Yankees always will suck. If they stop sucking the Earth's orbit will collapse and we'll all be burned up in the Sun. That's just a fact.

PelvicDust said:
    Rockadelic said:
    PelvicDust said:

Yeah, but I think marketing was the real reason behind that. Those shirts were so popular that they were cutting down on the sales of official Red Sox "apparel."

I guess the Rangers don't like the shirts, either:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/053009dnmetshirt.2a399355.html

Of course the Yankees always will suck. If they stop sucking the Earth's orbit will collapse and we'll all be burned up in the Sun. That's just a fact.

Individuals like you and I don't get to decide what is and isn't acceptable in cases like this. If we did we'd be wearing "Fuck The Yankees" T-Shirts to Fenway and the Ballpark in Arlington(BTW...two of the few places do not have commercial sponsorship).....(yeah, yeah,,,we used to be Ameriquest Field....but no longer)

I have no problem with an Amusement Park or Stadium banning what THEY see as unnaceptable....what kind of fucktard can't leave their "I Fuck On The First Date" or Ganga T-Shirt home the day they go to such establishments.

And if by chance you do it accidently/innocently, turn the shit inside out or change it.

C'MON SON!!!

• Options
    You're taking this way too seriously.

Fuck the Jets, too. The man can't bust our sports hatreds.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'd like to turn this thread into somethin unsucky, so here's a good Bob Marley story.
    In college, some friends of mine had this roommate who had this huge, really cool Bob Marley poster on his wall. Roommate poster owner went home for the weekend. My friends trashed the room, and in the process, ripped down or took out the enormous weed smoking Bob Marley poster. In its place, they drew this huge ass amateur replica of Bob smoking an L to the face in pencil and crayon ON THE DORM ROOM WALL. We talking fifth grade drawing skills too. That shit was FUCKIN HILARIOUS! I wish I had a pic of it.
    Good (high) times!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    We used to pack a cassette case full of joints
    :necessary:

• Options
    In its place, they drew this huge ass amateur replica of Bob smoking an L to the face in pencil and crayon ON THE DORM ROOM WALL. We talking fifth grade drawing skills too. That shit was FUCKIN HILARIOUS! I wish I had a pic of it.

Maybe that would seem unsucky if I were high. But I'm not.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I can't believe I came home to find you guys got 3 pages out of this.

yikes.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Who is Bob Marley?

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    This thread brought this shirt to mind.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    markus71 said:
    This thread brought this shirt to mind.

When I first started reading, I was hoping dude was rockin this shirt, but sadly, it wasnt meant to be.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:

Sayin.

I love scary rides. I don't know if it's because I don't quite fit into their seats and harnesses or what, but I can't really handle half these roller coasters because it kills my neck and head. I am not getting the support I need!

The Psyclone at Wonderland is THE BEST.

Drop Zone, too. They count you down to the drop which is lame. Half the fear is not knowing when you're going to go!

bassie said:
    SoulOnIce said:

Sayin.

When you posted this were you hoping it would not spur conversation and that people would just read your post, not respond and then it would die??

You initiated 3 pages of discussion, imo, that's a good thing.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I didn't hope it but I expected it! lol