Unbelievable Digs your friends pulled while digging next to you.........

HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
So at a house call a few months ago my one friend pulls an unplayed Velvet Underground and Nico og mono while i'm coasting through Roxy music, lou Reed, and beat up Stones and animals records. My other friend scoops Pretty Things S.F. Sorrow and Parachute as well as Velvet Underground white light white heat at the same sale. Everything on the cheap. both dudes were about to sleep in and i talked them both in to coming while drinking at the bar the night before. Waaaambulance called

Same friend pulls William Bell Soul of Bell next to me at a junk store a few weeks ago. I already had a promo but seriously WTF, Dude has the drop on me.

Friends are friends so its all good. What have your peeps dug out from under you strutters?

Comments

• yes i said your friends picked up

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Back in the early 80's my younger brother was visiting me down here in Texas and I took him digging at a local Pawn Shop.

I sent him over to a pile I had been through a month or so ago, assuming it was the same stuff.

He was 12 years old or so.

He flipped through 3-4 records, held up an LP and said "Is this one any good"?

It was Lightnin' Hopkins "Mojo Hand" on Fire.

Yeah.....go google that shit!

Within the last year two local diggers and I went out to a spot I had a lead on in East Texas.

3 hours into digging one of them holds up the Marvin Peterson & The Soul Masters LP and all I could think of was my brother saying....... "Is this one any good?"

Sharing digs is the way to go, especially if all parties involved get decent leads.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts

You know who you are...
    I was so heated I bought a Monkee's record in a mental breakdown state...

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts

In a junk shop back in the mid 90's and Jake One pulls out a California Playboys lp for $1. He had no idea what it was and said he was gonna buy it because he got a kick out of the name. I tried to get it from him a few weeks later and he was really proud to tell me he got $20 for it from some Japanese guy! I've yet to obtain a copy to this day.... Although I've seen it numerous times since then I'm not willing to pay the high price tag it demands.

• axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
    Sunfade said:

You know who you are...
    I was so heated I bought a Monkee's record in a mental breakdown state...

Yeah man I miss shopping with u. U my lucky charm and shit. There's a couple more storys too right gignac?

This old dead head dude I know pulled a butcher cover next to me for a buck.. I was glad it was him and not the grip and flippers lurking.

• chairman mao pulled out a demon fuzz OG whilst standing next to me in a shop. it still hurts

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    There's been plenty I could add to the 3 different threads that are running at the moment about amazing finds, passed-on finds, and digs your friends got from under your nose, but I'll mention this one as positive tale;

Back around '98-'99, when I used to go digging I'd often meet with Nostalgia 77, and one day we were up in this shop and I pulled a copy of Hal Singer & Jef Gilson Soul of Africa. We did a quick needle drop and were both blown away by the mean double-bass and drum intro on one of the tracks, but the asking price seemed a bit steep to me (??40 ish?), so I left it to Ben as he seemed quite keen on it. I later discovered that this was a record that can sell for several hundred, and felt a pang of regret.

A couple of years later, and I walked into a charity shop on a whim, and asked if they had any records. The lady told me they had a large un-sorted stack round the back, and she asked if I'd pull out anything I thought they might be able to sell, so I spent about an hour going through the usual classical music, Leo Sayer, Reader's Digest Box sets etc, and found a mint copy of Soul of Africa. I spoke to the lady about the records that I thought might be worth putting on the shelves, showed her the records I was interested in, and she made me pay for Little Fluffy Clouds, but told me I could have the Africa for free!

Karma works sometimes.