This is divine! - Post one tune only

disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
Just one tune you think is otherworldly beautiful, sublime, perfect...you name it.

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

Unfortunately not the whole song...but you get the idea.

• can anyone tell me who that is on bass (it sounds like ron carter but this was a west coast session so...)

"the mirror's mirror"

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    it doesn't get better than this

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    I don't understand jack in portuguese but I dig the voice

for the french speakers

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    Hey man, I think it's John Heard on bass. That's a great album, and 'Saudade' is amazing too. Harvey Mason on drums too - my favourite of all time; you can hear it's him just from 'The Mirror's Mirror', the timbre of his cymbals - what a musician...

crabmongerfunk said:
    can anyone tell me who that is on bass (it sounds like ron carter but this was a west coast session so...)

"the mirror's mirror"

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

HarveyCanal said:

Wow -- I never realized that Bernard Wright was covering this. Disconnected.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    That Moacir Santos is nice. Like Tom said, Saudade is pretty solid too. I love this tune. Posted by no else then Ray Pizzi himself.

Also this tune raises the hairs on arms every time I listen to it.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Interesting (but not surprising) that this instantly turned into a jazz thread.

I break the initial rule of posting one track only by posting another track only.

• planlessplanless 819 Posts

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Just one tune you think is otherworldly beautiful, sublime, perfect...you name it.

Stan Tracey Starless and Bible Black w/ Bobby Wellins

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Luiz Bonfa's Gentle Rain 1:00 into the clip. Lush.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Weepy piano is my schitt.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Weepy piano is my schitt.

I was hesitating between this or the Stan Tracey.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Sojourner Truth - Summertime

• tabira said:
    disco_che said:

Stan Tracey Starless and Bible Black w/ Bobby Wellins

I never get tired of this tune. Properly amazing.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Great selection of music in this thread so far. Someone compile them all in a mix.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Some of you are going to hate this.

Generally, I have mixed feelings about Shirley Bassey's signature brand of uber-diva theatricality. Most of the time, it's ridiculously overblown Vegas camp of a fairly predictable stripe, but in the right context, it can work. This song is absolutely my favourite vocal performance of hers. There's just the right balance between the kind of chilly melancholy the song calls for, and the sort of "I can't go on, I must go on" melodrama she can probably summon up with her eyes closed.

What sends it into the realm of the divine for me is the arrangement and the production. Essentially, it's Johnny Harris doing the prog-MOR thing he later expanded upon on "Movements" and "All To Bring You Morning" - shimmering, high-register strings, quietLOUDquiet shifts in dynamics, and a kind of epic widescreen soundtrack-y vibe to the whole thing. But the key to it here is the rhythm section - I dunno if it's the Herbie Flowers/Harold Fisher pairing Harris used on most of "Movements" or if it is indeed Pete Gavin and Chas Hodges from HH&F as the guy who posted the clip seems to think. Either way, that shit is jamming pretty hard, and the combination of that and all the other elements take the song off to somewhere that music doesn't seem too interested in going anymore. I love it all the same, though. Rest of the album ain't too bad either.

• DocMcCoy said:
    Some of you are going to hate this.

This is the only album of hers that I can listen to, and I pretty much put it down to Johnny Harris' arrangements, too.

That version of "Light My Fire" still works.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    It's not very rare and probably not even unacknowledged but I can't for the life of me understand why I'm the only guy who swoons at this song. Yes it's the Emeralds doing their best Impressions, eh, impression, but the combination of that single guitar line, the falsetto male harmonies and the unhurried feel of the whole song as it slowly builds to the finish means I could loop this for hours at a time without ever growing tired of it's beauty.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Vicks.

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts

love this tune. wanted to post henry franklin's "eric's tune" off of tribal dance but it's nowhere to be found on youtube.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Joe Farrell - "You Go To My Head" off Skateboard Park