A night at In N Out Burger

Comments

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Mjukis said:
    BTW, I might just have to study that how-to-cook-a-real-burger site. Us euromen have to make our own, no burger spots over here that have it like that.

I guess that depends where you live. Quite a few of my boys have been raving about this, which is rapidly acquiring mythical status amongst meat-eaters south of the river. One of my boys said to me, "It's an interesting approach they have. There's no attempt to be "gourmet": they don't use mega expensive cuts of meat, posh cheese (in fact they use Kraft slices!), Hestonesque cooking processes or anything - the fanciest thing about it is the sourdough buns - but they've studied the cooking process of the best down-home burger joints across America and honed their seasoning and cooking to make an absolutely classic burger."

He added, "It was concealed behind a container truck on an industrial estate. Eventually we had to call the number on the website to be told "you need to look harder - it's more worthwhile if you have to look". It was like tracking down a MEAT RAVE."

http://www.themeatwagon.co.uk

I'm sure they are great burgers but the whole "guerilla dining" aspect to this makes me queasy - it's a fucking burger wagon. Burgers for people who aren't used to buying food off vans, so have to blog about it like it's never happened before. Fucksake. Give me a salmonella-laden burger from a trolley at 3am anyday. (NO, DON'T.)

I'm interested to know in all these US burger joints, how much the burgers & fries are? Over here in jolly Olde Englande, its a ripoff for a half decent decent burger. $10 upwards at least, just for the burger.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    pcmr said:
    i do the same but mix in some chopped shallots in the meat
    sherry glazed onions please
    some balsamic on those mushrooms
    some zataar dusted tomatoes
    voila
    optional polish bacon bits or crispy prusciutto
    pesto grilled buns

I dont see how this would translate into tasting like a hamburger...just sayin'...I would call this a "foodie groundbeef panini"

This sounds like a delicious sandwich without the burger.

Also, I don't know what zataar is.

i was trying not to get foodie just upgrading everypart of the burger
    if your local joint put a garlic mayo sauce on their bun
    beer on their cramelized oigonns and red whine on mushrooms
    real slab bacon
    and oregano/saltpeppa shaker on tomato

you would love it and it would be ma's recipe or alabama burger or something

same shit fancier names, i make it taste like a burger with polish spicy mustard and pickles

git fam with zataar its a mix of cumin,sesame seeds,lemon zest and provence herbs
    does wonders on fish, in salads or on pita chips

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Woimsah said:
    But again, I say this even though it's not entirely on subject --- if you're in LA and you're having burgers and fries not from here, you're fucking up. end of story.

Overrated as fuck.

The burger there is marginally better than an In N Out. You go for the ambiance but as far as burgers go, this isn't worth the trip.

No exaggeration, none whatsoever, that you are the first person I have ever, ever heard say anything close to this. I've got to know, if this is "overrated" and only "marginally better than In N Out" - I gotta know what it is that you do like. Like, really, come ooooooonnnnn b. That's 100% an LA institution, loved by everyone, except you, apparently. That's like saying that you hate "I Love LA". What else? Is Langer's only marginally better than Greenblatt's?

I gotta cool down. Catching feelings over here.

• Over here in jolly Olde Englande, its a ripoff for a half decent decent burger. $10 upwards at least, just for the burger.

the worst burgers i ever had in my life were in the uk. i am not even sure you can call those things they sell at the chippies burgers. processed, frozen african yak meat with zero flavour. every once and a while someone does an expose of the crap ingredients but it just blows over like it was nothing.

you're going to pay around 7-10 bucks for a big cheeseburger and fries in north america but its fillet mignon compared to the stuff they are selling in the uk...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    tops menu....burgers are cheap! And better than In an Out...
    http://www.topsbarbq.com/menu.php

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    These burgers all kinda look average to me.
    And if i'm paying $12.00 for it, it better get me high.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    cove said:
    These burgers all kinda look average to me.
    And if i'm paying $12.00 for it, it better get me high.

damn

i don't think you can find a $12 burger down here

half that would be pricey

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    This thread makes me sad for the state of the hamburger in 2010.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I had one of these a few weeks ago and you can really tell the difference w/ the Kobe beef:

"The Winslow Burger! 8oz. Kobe beef burger topped with creamy gorgonzola dolce
    and crispy prosciutto on a brioche bun with crispy herb fries
    12.5 "

I could sort of feel a heart attack brewing for a while afterwords, but damn, it was good. The crispy prosciutto was baconesque. Considering the size and the quality, 12.5 was a bargain.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    mannybolone said:
    Woimsah said:
    But again, I say this even though it's not entirely on subject --- if you're in LA and you're having burgers and fries not from here, you're fucking up. end of story.

Overrated as fuck.

The burger there is marginally better than an In N Out. You go for the ambiance but as far as burgers go, this isn't worth the trip.

No exaggeration, none whatsoever, that you are the first person I have ever, ever heard say anything close to this. I've got to know, if this is "overrated" and only "marginally better than In N Out" - I gotta know what it is that you do like. Like, really, come ooooooonnnnn b. That's 100% an LA institution, loved by everyone, except you, apparently. That's like saying that you hate "I Love LA". What else? Is Langer's only marginally better than Greenblatt's?

Dude, there's legions of people in LA who think Apple Pan is overrated. For the 3.5 years I lived in that part of town (literally half a mile from Apple Pan), I met locals from both sides of that line. Some folks loved it, other people didn't. I fell in the latter.

Hamburger wars are probably the most argued over part of L.A. food (well, that and whether Pink's is overrated or not). Apple Pan is hardly even in the upper echelon of the love/hate relationship (I don't hate them, I just don't find their burgers that exceptional). You should see people go at it over Father's Office. Quite possibly (besides Pink's) the most divisive restaurant in L.A.

I happen to be in the camp that think FO's burgers are unfuckwittable but god knowns there's dozens who'd spit at the suggestion.

And dude, Langer's sons the shit out of any other pastrami joint in town. Are you saying Apple Pan = the Langer's of burgers? Because that's fucking crazy talk ;)

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I was just confronted with the option of purchasing ground buffalo meat at the Whole Foods. I almost ran with it, but I didn't want to pull the trigger only to get backlash from the fiance. WHO CAN SPEAK TO THE RELATIVE MERITS OF BUFFALO BURGERS?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I???d love a thread one day on great Italian sandwich spots.

I predict there'll be plenty of Chicago Strut input if that thread happens.

The_Hook_Up said:
    pcmr said:
    i do the same but mix in some chopped shallots in the meat
    sherry glazed onions please
    some balsamic on those mushrooms
    some zataar dusted tomatoes
    voila
    optional polish bacon bits or crispy prusciutto
    pesto grilled buns

I dont see how this would translate into tasting like a hamburger...just sayin'...I would call this a "foodie groundbeef panini"

Agreed.

Reminds me of a chili cook-off that was sponsored by the magazine I was then working for.

Sampled all kinds of chili.

Chili with onions. Chili with cumin peppers. Chocolate chili. Chili 'n' neckbones. Chili mixed with Gerber baby food. Chili popsicles. Chili flavored Pop Tarts.

And you know what the best chili was?

This one lady cooked a pot of plain ole beef chili. No exotic embellishments, just the basic recipe. I don't recall whether she won the cook-off or not, but she should have. Her beef chili left all the others in the SHADE. Her recipe is what I would have gone back for.

Nothing against experimentation, but when it comes to food, sometimes you just want the basics as you know it.

Okay, it doesn't TAKE THE PLACE of Five Guys or Fatburger or Culver's, but it's a nice little complement, just the same!!! Foremanburgers Forever.

• bennyboy said:

I'm interested to know in all these US burger joints, how much the burgers & fries are?

Burger, fries, and a drink are about $6 at In-N-Out. Probably about 6-7 for just the burger at most of the other places shown. That's why In-N-Out should be compared to cheap fast food places, not Fatburger.

• DB_Cooper said:
    WHO CAN SPEAK TO THE RELATIVE MERITS OF BUFFALO BURGERS?

The strength. A family friend used to be the manager of the Colorado Rockies, and I dunno if Denver still gets down like this, but Mile High Stadium used to bring the ill resource-slaughtering burger.

mannybolone said:
    Woimsah said:
    mannybolone said:
    Woimsah said:

Overrated as fuck.

Dude, there's legions of people in LA who think Apple Pan is overrated. For the 3.5 years I lived in that part of town (literally half a mile from Apple Pan), I met locals from both sides of that line. Some folks loved it, other people didn't. I fell in the latter.

Hamburger wars are probably the most argued over part of L.A. food (well, that and whether Pink's is overrated or not). Apple Pan is hardly even in the upper echelon of the love/hate relationship (I don't hate them, I just don't find their burgers that exceptional). You should see people go at it over Father's Office. Quite possibly (besides Pink's) the most divisive restaurant in L.A.

I happen to be in the camp that think FO's burgers are unfuckwittable but god knowns there's dozens who'd spit at the suggestion.

And dude, Langer's sons the shit out of any other pastrami joint in town. Are you saying Apple Pan = the Langer's of burgers? Because that's fucking crazy talk ;)

Legions? Must be the same people who choose to go to Father's Office with you, an establishment that's apparently above ketchup. That place should be called Becky Burger.

Additionally, Langer's has the second best pastrami, Brent's has the first.

Pink's is for tourists.

IMO (as someone who has experience with both Brent's and Langer's), Brent's looks more substantial because of how they pile on the pastrami but there's absolutely no beating the handcut pastrami or double-baked rye at Langer's. Brent's is a distant #2 but still ahead of most of the rest of the city, including Johnnie's, the Hat, Oinkster, etc.

Brent's whitefish and salmon breakfast special is on some next level shit though. Worth the drive up to the Valley.

FO isn't Burger King, dun. You can't have it your way. And if people don't want to fuck with 'em for that reason, I think it's valid. But you're still missing out on an excellent burger.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    pickwick33 said:

Nothing against experimentation, but when it comes to food, sometimes you just want the basics as you know it.

TRUTH!

mannybolone said:
    IMO (as someone who has experience with both Brent's and Langer's), Brent's looks more substantial because of how they pile on the pastrami but there's absolutely no beating the handcut pastrami or double-baked rye at Langer's. Brent's is a distant #2 but still ahead of most of the rest of the city, including Johnnie's, the Hat, Oinkster, etc.

Brent's whitefish and salmon breakfast special is on some next level shit though. Worth the drive up to the Valley.

Ok ok, game recognize game.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    In-N-Out has a much different business model than a typical fast food joint. For one, it's not a franchise -- they're all about to be owned by a woman named Lynsi Martinez, who I believe is the granddaughter of the founder. Both sons died tragically and separately, so it's skipping all the way down to Martinez when her grandmother finally passes. I believe she's very religious, which is not surprising.

I'm not trying to exalt In-N-Out, but true fast food places don't punch the fries on site. Also, In-N-Out doesn't have heat lamps, and so you can never really catch a bad one, like you could with some stale-ass McDonald's fries or some soggy Taco Bell taco where the lettuce has gone warm.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Are fried pickle slices part of your local burger experience?

Lemme take it out to the midwest:

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    maldorurr said:
    DB_Cooper said:

The strength. A family friend used to be the manager of the Colorado Rockies, and I dunno if Denver still gets down like this, but Mile High Stadium used to bring the ill resource-slaughtering burger.

Shit. I am going to have to get involved with some of that next go round.

And to speak to the ketchup side debate ??? dudes need to try your hand at making your own ketchup. It's easy and light years better than packaged junk.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    maldorurr said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Shit. I am going to have to get involved with some of that next go round.

And to speak to the ketchup side debate ??? dudes need to try your hand at making your own ketchup. It's easy and light years better than packaged junk.

Remember how lean buffalo is. 90% plus fat free. Make sure not to overcook that or figure out a way to add more fat in (buffalo butter?)

Buffalo is one of my favorites though when it's done right. Just enough wild flavor, kinda like grass fed beef.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    jaysus said:

Remember how lean buffalo is. 90% plus fat free. Make sure not to overcook that or figure out a way to add more fat in (buffalo butter?)

Buffalo is one of my favorites though when it's done right. Just enough wild flavor, kinda like grass fed beef.

I agree on all counts, Buffalo is delicious as an option for a lean burger. Its general leanness is offset by a fuller flavor than standard beef and a firmer, crunchier texture. Proper cooking is essential for buffalo steaks, a medium-rare buffalo steak will have the texture of medium-well beef so you want to be very careful not to overcook it.

Caribou makes a tasty burger as well. Ostrich is unimpressive, I found it bland like a turkey burger.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Cattle were dropping dead in Kansas last week due to the hot weather. The buffalo lobby would not let that opportunity slide and sent out a press release reminding everyone that, because they are actually native to the Plains, buffalo can within stand heat better than their steer and heifer cousins. I have always maintained that I am going to give the buffalo herd a few more years to rebound before I start eating them.

The Chicago Cubs were bought last year by a family with a large buffalo portfolio and of course now offer buffalo hot dogs -- even one with a buffalo flavor. So that's: Buffalo-buffalo hot dog. Crazy.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    white_tea said:

The Chicago Cubs were bought last year by a family with a large buffalo portfolio and of course now offer buffalo hot dogs -- even one with a buffalo flavor. So that's: Buffalo-buffalo hot dog. Crazy.

"All our horses are 100% horse-fed for that double-horse "juiced-in" goodness."

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    white_tea said:

DARK THRONE Chipotle Peppers, Goat Cheese, Fresh Pico de Gallo $10.00

!!!

The Goat's Cheese is a nice touch of authenticity, not too sure about the pico de gallo. I wonder if Fenriz know about this?