Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    purging your rap records .
    GROWN MAN

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    musica said:
    Sell it all and buy some real music.

You can't really sell most of the stuff Oliver's getting rid of.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    faux_rillz said:

I was specifically addressing the person who was trying to justify the records on the basis of Acie's skillz or whatever, which I don't see as a valid defense of weak recordings.

Again, :NO:.

I have no energy to reiterate my original point, but in short: why hate on rappers who are actually good at rapping? I could "justify" those records on the basis of them actually being good, but you could counter that by saying that you found them "boring" and how could I dispute that.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    GROWN MAN

Eff that. We're grown at 18. This whole idea that until we dismiss the rawness and start wearing monkey suits and start caring about what women think that we aren't grown is lame with a capital fedora.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    djsheep said:

a song about faces is as stupid as making a song about cupcakes.

Wait, so we can judge an artist's entire ouvre based on a single song? (For the record: I never thought "Faces" was that corny. Then again, I'd probably also enjoy a song about cupcakes if the production was good).

"Faces" is a great song. Hatters fall back.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Reynaldo said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    GROWN MAN

Eff that. We're grown at 18. This whole idea that until we dismiss the rawness and start wearing monkey suits and start caring about what women think that we aren't grown is lame with a capital fedora.
    ^^^STOPPED GROWING AT 18^^^

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    musica said:
    Sell it all and buy some real music.

You can't really sell most of the stuff Oliver's getting rid of.

You'd be surprised what dudes in places like Greece and Australia will buy.

b/w

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    hertzhog said:
    faux_rillz said:

I was specifically addressing the person who was trying to justify the records on the basis of Acie's skillz or whatever, which I don't see as a valid defense of weak recordings.

I have no energy to reiterate my original point, but in short: why hate on rappers who are actually good at rapping? I could "justify" those records on the basis of them actually being good, but you could counter that by saying that you found them "boring" and how could I dispute that.

Who is the dude your defending?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Reynaldo said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    GROWN MAN

^^^STOPPED GROWING AT 18^^^

Hahah...

B/W

Really though, who cares what these women think?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    ive been through several rounds of a rap purge, and the only Aceyalone record that survived was the Book of Human Beats instrumental LP. He was always the most boring member of freestyle fellowship, and a MAJOR prick in real life.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    batmon said:
    hertzhog said:
    faux_rillz said:

Who is the dude your defending?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i don't really understand why anyone would purge "stone crazy" era beatnuts records. they wont sell for anything, and pretty much everything off that record is great.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    One I realized I needed to get rid of over the weekend, after not listening to it in a decade: Pete Rock's Soul Survivor

Not sure why I hung onto that one for so long

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    o_O

• maldorurrmaldorurr 120 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    lame with a capital fedora.

Ahaha

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    OMG Sandbox Automatic!

Totally forgot about that site! Wow.

I dont think I can even weigh in here as I've basically purged most of my entire record collection. Not that it was really that amazing ever, just kinda unwieldily.

Mostly stuff bought to sample and then shelved, with some random rap 12"'s in there for some reason or another lol.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    The only thing thats really guaranteed though is that as cheesy and out of vogue late 90's indie rap seems at the moment, Its bound to have a comeback, and you will probably wish you had saved all your hydra releases lol.

Remember people once burned piles of disco records.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Im sorry who here in Australia is still buying indie rap ?
    Please to point me in the right direction. I have three crates of it i can hardly give away.

• mannybolone said:
    First Priority singles by Audio Two and Alliance (why I ever bought them to begin with evades me)

wtf let me holleur at all the First Priority ish, cinistercee@hotmail.com

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    i am purging rap records right this minute like i was bulimic.
    getting rid of soooooooo much things.
    feels good and all that blah blah.
    keeping lots too though.
    this is a nice time of year to clean out your collection and create space.
    i am trying to think about what i would take with me onto the Ark, the Ark in my mind, what must stay and what doesn't cut it and why.
    good luck with your purge.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    the Ark in my mind

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    AKallDay said:
    the Ark in my mind

hush, you.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    AKallDay said:
    the Ark in my mind

could probably dump most of the 75 Ark records...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    Possum Tom said:
    AKallDay said:
    the Ark in my mind

could probably dump most of the 75 Ark records...

I worked there for a few years... You should keep the Encore record... that's a great album IMO.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    kicks79 said:
    Im sorry who here in Australia is still buying indie rap ?
    Please to point me in the right direction. I have three crates of it i can hardly give away.

Records fairs

b/w set-sales on ozhiphop/steath

b/w discogs

b/w ebay.com.au

It still ticks away man...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Martin said:
    Possum Tom said:
    i don't really understand why anyone would purge "stone crazy" era beatnuts records. they wont sell for anything, and pretty much everything off that record is great.

exactly what i was thinking. who the fuck is keeping ANY atmosphere records over stone crazy?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The day I need any of you poptarts to curate my collection is the day I may as well dump it all into a landfill. I'm not going to miss a "Se Acebo" acapella (esp. if I'm keeping the album).

Possum Tom said:
    ive been through several rounds of a rap purge, and the only Aceyalone record that survived was the Book of Human Beats instrumental LP. He was always the most boring member of freestyle fellowship, and a MAJOR prick in real life.

No disagreement on the second opinion but if personality were a requirement, I'd probably have to purge almost all my records.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    One I realized I needed to get rid of over the weekend, after not listening to it in a decade: Pete Rock's Soul Survivor

cuz the cover is the dope.

yuichi said:
    faux_rillz said:

cuz the cover is the dope.

Wtf? Uh...no