The Great Rap Purge

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
I finally started to go through my rap records, over 90% of which have been boxed since 2006, when we first moved from the Bay down to L.A. My current capacity simply can't accommodate all the boxes I have so I knew a purge was necessary but I wasn't sure how much I'd end up keeping or dumping.

Thus far, 4 boxes (roughly 350 LPs?) in and it's looking good. I'm throwing out around 60-70%. Of that, I'd say 60% are indie rap 12"s from the '90s, the remaining 40% are major label stuff. I've gone through all my "A" records and maybe half of the "B" titles.

Things I kept that surprised me: the majority of my Aceyalone records. Abstract Rude, not so lucky. More than half of my Atmosphere records.

Things I dumped that surprised me: half of my Blackalicious records, almost all of my Beatnuts records after the first album and First Priority singles by Audio Two and Alliance (why I ever bought them to begin with evades me). Most of my Afu Ra singles (his rapping on his early singles were terrible).

Things I dumped that didn't surprise me at all: Anticon titles, Aesop Rock titles, stuff produced by M-Boogie (sorry mang), hordes of "Sandbox Automatic randoms".

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    pretty sure afu ra was always terrible! eth@n P@dg3tt called him "Jeru's Jeru" lol

i think those beatnuts records are A+ tho u crazy

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    If you need doubles of "Find That," I'll send you my discogs.com link when it's ready. ;)

For real, I kept "Off the Books" and I think that's it from their post "Street Level" career.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    'no escapin this' 'watch out now' 'se acabo' (& the remix) ??

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    If you have Abstract Rude's Ooh I'mma Getchya 12" on Grand Royal, please to send this way for a kind reward.

HarveyCanal said:
    If you have Abstract Rude's Ooh I'mma Getchya 12" on Grand Royal, please to send this way for a kind reward.

Hmm...I don't remember seeing that in the pile but I do have a blank white label that was on Grand Royal. Could be it. When I have everything purged, I'll probably create a database and let folks get a crack at what they might want to cop off it.

I started going through my "80s crate" which were mostly records I bought back in 2000/1, around the beginnings of the random rap craze and man, did I make some bad buying decisions. Oof.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    mannybolone said:

Things I kept that surprised me: the majority of my Aceyalone records.

As in you are surprised you still like them? The only one I kept is "Book of Human Language"

I have a copy of Magnificent City on CD in a pile somewhere. Regrettably.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Can't stand Aceyalone... I think I'll just keep my OG To Whom it May Concern...

I've been getting rid of generic stuff... things on the Hydra label, Rawkus, random promo singles, later Gravediggaz singles, stuff of that nature... holding a record fair, helps keep the momentum up. Australia still has a huge amount of rap collectors and DJs who haven't got hip to Serato, which is a good thing when downsizing... the rest of the world, I'm not sure... at least when I was in Amoeba a year ago, it seemed like you could get anything CHEAP...

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Cosmophonic said:
    mannybolone said:

As in you are surprised you still like them? The only one I kept is "Book of Human Language"

All Balls Don't Bounce and ABOHL are both great albums. And the rapping on Accepted Eclectic is pretty excellent. His output after that is more sketchy, but hating on Aceyalone is some too cool for school shit.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I'll be working from home for a week in August, and this is one the projects I'm hoping to tackle that week.

O, you're just putting them on discogs? The bay? Should I send them all to Australia? Cause Aceyalone is gonna be out the door...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i've purged all my rap ''albums'' xcept beatup copies of illmatic,OB4CL and EPMD
    only singles that have accapelas and instrumentals
    that's how i first purged

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    pcmr said:
    i've purged all my rap ''albums''

I've purged a lot of the rap albums that came out before double vinyl became the norm.
    They sound like ass. Too many minutes squeezed onto a single disc.

Cosmophonic said:

All Balls Don't Bounce and ABOHL are both great albums. And the rapping on Accepted Eclectic is pretty excellent. His output after that is more sketchy, but hating on Aceyalone is some too cool for school shit.

so if you genuinely don't like Aceyalone anymore, and dislike his raps with a passion, how are you supposed to hate. Is he off limits or some shit?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    hertzhog said:
    Cosmophonic said:
    mannybolone said:

You sound Euroman

hertzhog said:
    Cosmophonic said:

so if you genuinely don't like Aceyalone anymore, and dislike his raps with a passion, how are you supposed to hate. Is he off limits or some shit?

No, you can hate on Rakim for all I care. All I'm saying is that technically Aceyalone is (was?) a great rapper, and denying that is suspect. Tastes may change over the years - as they should - but a "Mic Check" or "Guidelines" are still some shit that most rappers wouldn't be able to pull off.

hertzhog said:
    djsheep said:
    hertzhog said:
    Cosmophonic said:

No, you can hate on Rakim for all I care. All I'm saying is that technically Aceyalone is (was?) a great rapper, and denying that is suspect. Tastes may change over the years - as they should - but a "Mic Check" or "Guidelines" are still some shit that most rappers wouldn't be able to pull off.

Who cares? That doesn't necessarily justify them as music.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Doesn't making your collection smaller feel great? Sometimes I think it doesn't even matter which records I choose for downsizing.

deej said:
    eth@n P@dg3tt

Whatever happened to that guy?

djsheep said:
    hertzhog said:
    Cosmophonic said:

In 2010, I can not even see why I liked Aceyalone or spent money on his records. Overrated poetry boutique rappin...

Let's get something straight...purging your rap records like its some scheduled old foagie right of passage is beyond gay.

And whatever on the Acey hate.

djsheep said:

In 2010, I can not even see why I liked Aceyalone or spent money on his records. Overrated poetry boutique rappin...

Fair enough, but I just don't get that with his earlier records at all. Even A Book of Human Language, his most "lofty" record, is pretty straightforward and simple at its heart (no complex metaphors or rhyming for the sake of riddling). A song about faces? Hardly the type of pretentiousness I associate with "poetry boutique rapping," Anticon or whatever. And his whole post-ABOHL career is seemingly focused on getting rid of that poetry stigma you speak of. So that dancehall shit he did should be right up your alley... Or maybe not.

And Faux, I never said rapping ability justifies those songs as music. But I'd be foolish to dismiss Twista as a rapper, just because I don't think of much of his song writing skills-- no?

hertzhog said:
    djsheep said:

Fair enough, but I just don't get that with his earlier records at all. Even A Book of Human Language, his most "lofty" record, is pretty straightforward and simple at its heart (no complex metaphors or rhyming for the sake of riddling). A song about faces? Hardly the type of pretentiousness I associate with "poetry boutique rapping," Anticon or whatever. And his whole post-ABOHL career is seemingly focused on getting rid of that poetry stigma you speak of. So that dancehall shit he did should be right up your alley... Or maybe not.

And Faux, I never said rapping ability justifies those songs as music. But I'd be foolish to dismiss Twista as a rapper, just because I don't think of much of his song writing skills-- no?

a song about faces is as stupid as making a song about cupcakes.

HarveyCanal said:
    Let's get something straight...purging your rap records like its some scheduled old foagie right of passage is beyond gay.

I'm not sure how anything anyone has said in this thread conforms to your first point.

Agreed on the Acey hate point though. The singles I decided not to keep by him were mostly ones with lackluster production but includes both early and late-career material. I enjoy listening to him which is more than I can say about the dozens of super-scientific wanna-be rappers whose singles didn't survive the purge.

BTW: This goes back to the thread on The Tunnel classics but it was a bit of a time warp to remember just how many rap artists put out "anti-jiggy" songs in the late '90s (the vast majority of those went straight into the purge pile). I think if anything weakened the state of hip-hop of NY in that era, it was that much of the output seemed focused on this narrow conversation between rappers flossing and then rappers dissing the other rappers for flossing.

djsheep said:

Wait, so we can judge an artist's entire ouvre based on a single song? (For the record: I never thought "Faces" was that corny. Then again, I'd probably also enjoy a song about cupcakes if the production was good).

djsheep said:
    hertzhog said:
    djsheep said:

I don't know about your local [del]rap[/del] human experience, but faces are pretty relevant in my daily interactions. Unlike cupcakes.

mannybolone said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I'm not sure how anything anyone has said in this thread conforms to your first point.

You yourself seem to be doing an honest purge...no issue there. It's the dudes piling on, like how dare I even liked this stuff in the first place that have hearts that IMO pump Milk Duddish stalemate.

HarveyCanal said:
    mannybolone said:
    HarveyCanal said:

You yourself seem to be doing an honest purge...no issue there. It's the dudes piling on, like how dare I even liked this stuff in the first place that have hearts that IMO pump Milk Duddish stalemate.

In Faux's defense, I'm pretty sure he wasn't bumping "Hot Potato" back in the day. ;)

mannybolone said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    mannybolone said:
    HarveyCanal said:

In Faux's defense, I'm pretty sure he wasn't bumping "Hot Potato" back in the day. ;)

I have owned Innercity Griots and All Balls... for about 15 years.

ABOHL went in and out of the collection in about a year's time; it's just a boring record.

I was specifically addressing the person who was trying to justify the records on the basis of Acie's skillz or whatever, which I don't see as a valid defense of weak recordings.

I don't know about your local [del]rap[/del] human experience, but faces are pretty relevant in my daily interactions. Unlike cupcakes.

You're missing out then. I was at a wedding on Sunday that had ube cupcakes in lieu of a wedding cake. TASTY.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Sell it all and buy some real music.