The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo/Stieg Larsson

Comments

• Almond said:
    The books are fun to read but you have to be interested and attentive as they are detailed. I don't think the books are literary junk food, Faux, unless you consider anything less dense than a college textbook to be lacking in nutritional value.
    You're a hard man to impress, so why would you bother to read something you consider insubstantial?

I wont speak for Faux, but I eat pop culture junk food often enough. i.e. movies, books, music. And while I i dont consider any of these items personal favorites versus other choices, sometimes i just dont want to confront certain subject matters/maintain any kind of intensive thought process or focus.

In the same sense i dont think every conversation must converge upon the philosophical and reveal some greater understanding of the human condition and etc.

With a movie or a piece of music, its often times easy to spot immediately where you can categorize it - is this light fare? or am i in for some heady shit? With books its a little different unless you're somewhat familiar with the authors ouevre, which is why i asked the question - do i put it on my list of shit to read thats going to require large amounts of attention and focus? or can i open and close it like a bag of doritos and just enjoy some unhealthy snack every now and then?

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Almond said:
    The books are fun to read but you have to be interested and attentive as they are detailed. As someone who has read a lot of junk (i.e. Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire Mysteries) I don't think the books are literary junk food, Faux, unless you consider anything less dense than a college textbook to be lacking in nutritional value.
    You're a hard man to impress, so why would you bother to read something you consider insubstantial?

I wouldn't--I thumbed through my wife's copy of the first one.

Uninformed opinions, sigh...

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    this thread is a massive facepalm

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Almond said:
    I can squeeze 135-150 pages into three hours, excluding shower time.

My girls well on her way to finishing the first one in under a week, probably closer to 4 days. Every time I turn around she's completely absorbed in it.

Been a while since I read something fluffy, so I may give it a go after she's done..

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Soulhawk said:
    this thread is a massive facepalm

Now kids, THERE is some hyperbole.

Seriously, if we start facepalming over the literary merits of Swedish crime novels, what is left? Shut the place down, and move on.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Almond said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Almond said:
    The books are fun to read but you have to be interested and attentive as they are detailed. As someone who has read a lot of junk (i.e. Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire Mysteries) I don't think the books are literary junk food, Faux, unless you consider anything less dense than a college textbook to be lacking in nutritional value.

I wouldn't--I thumbed through my wife's copy of the first one.

Uninformed opinions, sigh...

Almond, I know this is SoulStrut and all but please let us be serious, if only for a moment.

By your logic, nobody should ever say anything negative about a book. If they haven't read it cover-to-cover, they're "uninformed"--and if they have, then they're a chump for investing the time.

The fact is that a practiced reader need not read all 600+ pages of a book like this to confirm that it is junk.

By all means, like what you like and read what you enjoy, but don't try to justify it by pretending that it's something other than what it is, which is the literary equivalent of a Drake album.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    the literary equivalent of a Drake album.

ouch

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "which is the literary equivalent of a Drake album"

In all fariness, wouldn't that be more like Mary and Kate's book series? I'm not saying Larsson is the next coming of Elmore Leonard but there's a difference between pulp and whatever the "literary equivalent to a Drake album" is. For one, such an equivalency would have to have had a pedigree that practically guaranteed some level of success. Larsson's success (after he died, no less) was a fluke, at best. Not dissimilar to "Twilight" in that regard.

DJ_WubWub said:
    I have only seen the movies (there are three of them) and was totally engrossed by all three movies. Why do they need to do a US remake of them?..

I'm assuming you're not American because if you were, you wouldn't even need to pose this question.

(But the simple answer is..."it's the money!")

mannybolone said:
    "which is the literary equivalent of a Drake album"

In all fariness, wouldn't that be more like Mary and Kate's book series? I'm not saying Larsson is the next coming of Elmore Leonard but there's a difference between pulp and whatever the "literary equivalent to a Drake album" is. For one, such an equivalency would have to have had a pedigree that practically guaranteed some level of success. Larsson's success (after he died, no less) was a fluke, at best. Not dissimilar to "Twilight" in that regard.

Only if you are comparing the circumstances surrounding the work, and there is nothing in my poast that suggests that that is what I'm doing. I am speaking strictly of the work itself: both are flat, somewhat less than competent and highly disposable.

Fair enough but you have to admit that it's rather difficult to talk about Drake without it being about "his circumstances" rather than just the effort itself, without any backstory. If Drake's album just dropped out of nowhere, no one would have noticed. It's all about the backstory.

mannybolone said:
    Fair enough but you have to admit that it's rather difficult to talk about Drake without it being about "his circumstances" rather than just the effort itself, without any backstory. If Drake's album just dropped out of nowhere, no one would have noticed. It's all about the backstory.

No, I don't have to admit that. You might prefer to discuss Drake's backstory, but I am comfortable panning the music without going into it.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Almond,

If you are into the whole Swedish crime drama thing, I would also like to point out the Wallander stuff. While I haven't read any of the novels, I did see the British TV series which was pretty good.

Makes me wanna check out Henning Mankell works. I think there are 9 novels in the series and the original Swedish film and TV series, which then brought the British version staring Kenneth Branagh as Kurt Wallander.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I was thinking of getting one of these books. My wife got me a kindle for our aniversary. I'll stick to my Updike short stories. But I have four novels of fear by Cornell Wolerich in the pipe.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    DOR said:
    Almond,

If you are into the whole Swedish crime drama thing, I would also like to point out the Wallander stuff. While I haven't read any of the novels, I did see the British TV series which was pretty good.

Makes me wanna check out Henning Mankell works. I think there are 9 novels in the series and the original Swedish film and TV series, which then brought the British version staring Kenneth Branagh as Kurt Wallander.

I'll cosine this on behalf of my wife.

These ain't my literary bag, but she has much preferred Mankel's work to Larsson. She's big on the Wallander series.

As for my own taste in foreign based crime, I really dig John Burdett's Bangkok series.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I like how faux uses every opportunity to bring up Drake.

kicks79 said:
    I like how faux uses every opportunity to bring up Drake.

D.R.E.A.M

• Options
    Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson - Dogs Never Lie About Love (Reflections on the Emotional World of Dogs)

Masson is a vegan and an animal right activist. He graduated from Harvard with degrees in Sanskrit and Indian Studies.

He also wrote When Elephants Weep.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I'm really surprised by the international success of the Larsson books. I have as little interest in reading them as I would any Dan Brown book, but on the other hand, I'm not a big fan of crime novels per se. The name change is interesting though.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Speaking of Larsson's success. He is now the first author to sell over 1 million Kindle books.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100727006109&newsLang=en

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    It's always a hoot to see people get their panties in a twist over Sir Faux's criticisms. You guys (defenders of this series) need to lighten up. I happen to agree with him regarding their literary merits but who cares what Faux thinks of the books? I like an occasional Snickers. So sue me.

Currently, working my way through the second book. Boo on the casting of Daniel Craig as Blomkvist. Clooney must have turned them down. I wonder if the American movie version will be set in Sweden? That would be my only objection to an new American production.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    DrWu said:
    It's always a hoot to see people get their panties in a twist over Sir Faux's criticisms. You guys (defenders of this series) need to lighten up. I happen to agree with him regarding their literary merits but who cares what Faux thinks of the books? I like an occasional Snickers. So sue me.

Currently, working my way through the second book. Boo on the casting of Daniel Craig as Blomkvist. Clooney must have turned them down. I wonder if the American movie version will be set in Sweden? That would be my only objection to an new American production.

Finally, another person who is actually reading the series! I'm about 150 pages into Hornet's Nest, and I'm not as into it as Dragon and Fire. Is it just me or did that boob job come out of fcking nowhere? You will be surprised when you learn about Zala and the Blonde Giant. Mimi's cigarette case comes in mighty handy. Post again and let us know what you think of Fire!

Have you seen the Swedish movie(s), Wu? I don't think an American version is necessary since the Swedish ones were fine. Anything for profit, though. I guess Americans are too lazy for subtitles.

We're used to Faux yucking everyone's yum. He got his obligatory Drake comment in, so no matter.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Reading is reading: it doesn't matter if it's Dostoyevsky, The Bible, Victor Canning or whatever vampire/wizard/etc book is hot at the moment.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Electrode said:
    Reading is reading: it doesn't matter if it's Dostoyevsky, The Bible, Victor Canning or whatever vampire/wizard/etc book is hot at the moment.

I don't understand what this is supposed to mean. Of course it matters. She's not 9 years old.

(and that's not a shot at Almond or even the Larsson books, which I have not read - I just don't get this "reading a credit card solicitation is just as beneficial as reading all 7 volumes of Proust's In Search of Lost Time" business)

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    bassie said:
    About violence and misogyny. Winterbottom's adaptation of Jim Thompson's The Killer Inside Me is not out here yet and much ink was spilled even before its release. I do want to see it. And as much as I do not like reading about soemthing before I see it, I couldn't help it with this one. Anyway, the story is known to me. There are a lot of interesting takes on it here.

I haven't read any of the Larsen books, nor seen the films, although I admit to being curious about both. I did see The Killer Inside Me a few months ago, though, and although I'm not sure I liked it all that much, I would like to see it again. It's an oddly dispassionate movie, and this aspect gives the extremes of violence that it depicts a great deal more impact (and they are extreme - think Chris Partlow killing Michael's stepdad in season 4 of The Wire), which might have been the intention all along. Casey Affleck's character has an eerie kind of blankness about him that I guess could be characteristic of a psychopath, but all the same I did find myself wondering how someone with his tendencies, even an authority figure, had managed to keep them under control and away from the eyes of the world for so long. While these kinds of uncertainties and ambiguities are part of what drives the narrative, for me the whole thing felt a little too uninvolving. Even the twist turned out not to be as shocking as it might have been. My film studies lecturer always told me it's a bad sign when the first thing anyone says about a film is how good the cinematography or production design is, but both are excellent - it's certainly a very good-looking film, but for one which deals to a large degree in the furthest extremes of passion, it's crucially short on warmth.

Electrode said:

That's ridiculous--it only makes any kind of sense in the context of people who are barely literate.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Electrode said:

That's ridiculous--it only makes any kind of sense in the context of people who are barely literate.

QUIT YUCKING MY YUM.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    My film studies lecturer always told me it's a bad sign when the first thing anyone says about a film is how good the cinematography or production design is, but both are excellent - it's certainly a very good-looking film, but for one which deals to a large degree in the furthest extremes of passion, it's crucially short on warmth.

I would say that about Winterbottom's films as a general rule.

About liking the look of a film over the story, etc. - I respectfully disagree with your professor. Film is a visual experience after all. Ideally the style and substance are both strong and come together to support one another, but a terrific looking film is sometimes enough for me. I probably would not give a rat's ass about Dario Argento if not for the incredible art direction. Sin City is another one that comes to mind. And don't think I would have liked No Country For Old Men if not for the way it was shot and its look.

I really hope Killer gets a theatre release here. I don't want to see this on a television screen.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    double

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Almond said:
    DrWu said:

Finally, another person who is actually reading the series! I'm about 150 pages into Hornet's Nest, and I'm not as into it as Dragon and Fire. Is it just me or did that boob job come out of fcking nowhere? You will be surprised when you learn about Zala and the Blonde Giant. Mimi's cigarette case comes in mighty handy. Post again and let us know what you think of Fire!

Have you seen the Swedish movie(s), Wu? I don't think an American version is necessary since the Swedish ones were fine. Anything for profit, though. I guess Americans are too lazy for subtitles.

We're used to Faux yucking everyone's yum. He got his obligatory Drake comment in, so no matter.

Haven't seen any of the movies yet. Heard they are OK. Boob job is weird because it doesn't add much to the books unless she smothers Zala with her C cups later. I can see Hollywood movie producers loving the extra cleavage. Maybe Larsson was thinking ahead. Shit does happen. I have a friend ( a respected novelist) who just had a book optioned in Hollywood. On her next project she purposely put Johnny Depp to give it more commercial appeal.