Drake who?

13»

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Doc McCoy speaks truth--excellent poasts!

As always... Paul is the man.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    An observation a friend of mine made: at this point, the core audience buying 700,000 Eminem CDs are not creative class types who fall on the narrow spectrum between folks who either follow RSS feeds off of blogs or read the NY Times music section. They're the Eminem equivalent to country music buyers, which isn't to say they're from the same demographic (though on race and class, they may be) but rather, they're not people following trends in pop music so much as rolling for an artist they feel like "speaks to them." For others (such as people who post on Soulstrut), that population is invisible to them. If MIA had sold 700K, they wouldn't be surprised but if Em does those same numbers in 2010, it seems like a genuine outlier even though Em really hasn't had a serious flop album yet. Even his anthologies sell well.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    SS is dominated by bi-coastal elites who have no idea what Real Americans are into

SS is dominated by bi-coastal elites who have no idea what Real Americans are into[/quote

Except for Rich. He holds down our "Real Americans" quotient all by his lonesome.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    he's originally from New York tho

a carpetbaggeur Real American at best

Soulhawk said:
    he's originally from New York tho

a carpetbaggeur Real American at best

What's more Real American than being a carpetbagguer though?

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    An observation a friend of mine made: at this point, the core audience buying 700,000 Eminem CDs are not creative class types who fall on the narrow spectrum between folks who either follow RSS feeds off of blogs or read the NY Times music section. They're the Eminem equivalent to country music buyers, which isn't to say they're from the same demographic (though on race and class, they may be) but rather, they're not people following trends in pop music so much as rolling for an artist they feel like "speaks to them." For others (such as people who post on Soulstrut), that population is invisible to them. If MIA had sold 700K, they wouldn't be surprised but if Em does those same numbers in 2010, it seems like a genuine outlier even though Em really hasn't had a serious flop album yet. Even his anthologies sell well.

"non-creative class types" = Juggalos?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I was a bit surprised at the huge numbers (especially for 2010) because I thought the one Slim Shady had reached the peak of his career and was on the descent. Let's be clear, I'm not surprised at all that the dude has a hardcore fanbase.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't "trust" the numbers, though...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

??? But you're the one who started the thread to prove how much better Em sold! Or am I missing some sarcasm somewheres?

Herm said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

??? But you're the one who started the thread to prove how much better Em sold! Or am I missing some sarcasm somewheres?

You're reading something into my post that's not there.

I thought the numbers were noteworthy - hence the thread. That's all.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Herm said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Can you blame me with the rather Batmonesque "Drake who?" subject heading?

Herm said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Herm said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Drake sold a bit more than half of what Em did and he is the biggest shit in the world right now. That is noteworthy and I was surprised. I don't "distrust" the numbers for the reasons DocMcCoy enumerated above.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Herm said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Herm said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Drake sold a bit more than half of what Em did and he is the biggest shit in the world right now. That is noteworthy and I was surprised. I don't "distrust" the numbers for the reasons DocMcCoy enumerated above.

I'm not getting at anything major. I just thought you were taking a jab at Drake's numbers by showing how much better Eminem performed, but then when you said you didn't trust Eminem's numbers it confused me as to why you'd take the jab in the first place. I know now that there was no jab, just jabber.

Damn it, now you got me looking like I'm defending Drake!

Herm said:
    but then when you said you didn't trust Eminem's numbers it confused me as to why you'd take the jab in the first place.

Aha - you're either misreading something I wrote or have me confused with another poaster. I trust the numbers just fine. I don't even really care that much to be on the third page of this discussion!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    tales of labels sending squads of people round the country on buying missions was true once, but those days are long gone. In fact, since the charts went primarily digital, about four years ago, it's become impossible to rig them

This was pre-digital, and just what I saw on tv.