Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    It was probably pretty smart of him to just come right out and admit that his last two albums were garbage instead of trying to pretend they weren't.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    This album is terrible. Just Blaze fell off so hard it's unbelievable.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Shears said:

Might be a little over the top. Just bc it's not his usual sound doesn't mean he "fell off". If you want to work with the other biggest MC in the world / one of the biggest artists of all time, you might need to work to find a common ground to fit his current sound. I'm not crazy about those tracks either, but don't think it's safe to assume he's fallen off based off three songs, 1 of which isn't too bad.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Shears said:
    This album is terrible.
    Shears said:
    This album is terrible.
    Shears said:
    This album is terrible.
    Shears said:
    This album is terrible.
    Shears said:
    This album is terrible.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Haven't heard this album, but between this news and Busta blowing everybody including Nikki out the water on that new Khaled posse cut* it looks like there may be hope for old, "washed up" rappers after all!

(insert Faux's "please be serious" retort here.)

*Yes, I realize this term is redundant.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I know Eminem is "different," and a bit of a novelty in the rap industry, but I find his lyrics to be so angst-ridden that they're almost juvenile. I would have thought that with the fame, success and fortune, he would have been able to buy himself some happiness by now. Or at least a better songwriter. Thumbs up for Em on being original, but I just can't get into his music.

Has anyone heard his new track with Rihanna? I don't like it. Nor do I like the Airplanes song, though I do like Hayley Williams' voice.

As for Drake (referring to the title of this thread), he's kind of emo for a rap/hip-hop artist. Emo-hop.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Almond said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I know Eminem is "different," and a bit of a novelty in the rap industry, but I find his lyrics to be so angst-ridden that they're almost juvenile. I would have thought that with the fame, success and fortune, he would have been able to buy himself some happiness by now. Or at least a better songwriter. Thumbs up for Em on being original, but I just can't get into his music.

Has anyone heard his new track with Rihanna? I don't like it. Nor do I like the Airplanes song, though I do like Hayley Williams' voice.

As for Drake (referring to the title of this thread), he's kind of emo for a rap/hip-hop artist. Emo-hop.

Almond getting analytical!

Isn't Eminem white? A Facebook friend, a bro-tastic dude whom I knew in high school, was talking about how Eminem's album was the "first hip-hop record" he bought in "years." Coincidence?

Eminem's huge rise in popularity about 10 years ago pretty much paralleled the jump in suburban hip-hop consumption. A lot of hip hop's biggest consumers and fans come from white (or non-black) suburbia. I think Em probably bridged the traditional black-white divide in hip hop consumption (not necessarily the hip hop world, though) and made it a lot more acceptable for young kids to start picking up hip hop music without being labelled wannabes. When I was in junior high, a lot of boys started to bleach their hair blonde and started wearing wife beaters after seeing the "Real Slim Shady" music video by Eminem. I guess it's easier to relate to rap music if the front-man is the same race as you.

I'm not saying the Eminem was a pivotal player in the game or even made major strides in it, I'm just saying that there are probably other social nuances that contributed to his success; his success was not necessarily based on the quality of his rhymes. I also think "bling" and the culture of excess in hip hop is something that Americans in general can relate to. Hip hip is always of-the-moment, which is what I like about it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Almond said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I think it's fair to say, at this point, Eminem isn't really a "novelty" act anymore. He's one of the most successful artists of the 2000s and now, it appears, is still kicking ass in the 2010s. I'm kind of amazed myself but I guess I shouldn't have been. Em clearly has a loyal audience willing to come out in force.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    Shears said:

Might be a little over the top. Just bc it's not his usual sound doesn't mean he "fell off". If you want to work with the other biggest MC in the world / one of the biggest artists of all time, you might need to work to find a common ground to fit his current sound.

Such as by sampling that Night at the Roxy song?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    To the death steel cage match between Eminem and Drake and I'm still probbaly not watching.

Almond said:
    Eminem's huge rise in popularity about 10 years ago pretty much paralleled the jump in suburban hip-hop consumption. A lot of hip hop's biggest consumers and fans come from white (or non-black) suburbia. I think Em probably bridged the traditional black-white divide in hip hop consumption (not necessarily the hip hop world, though) and made it a lot more acceptable for young kids to start picking up hip hop music without being labelled wannabes. When I was in junior high, a lot of boys started to bleach their hair blonde and started wearing wife beaters after seeing the "Real Slim Shady" music video by Eminem. I guess it's easier to relate to rap music if the front-man is the same race as you.

Eminem did not bring rap to suburban white kids, and his debut did not coincide with any jump in the popularity of rap music; those trends were already both a decade old in 1999.

If anything, he was the artist that brought rap to old white people. I remember lots of fifty-somethings tawmbout "I never really saw the poetry in rap music before" circa 8 Mile.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Almond said:
    Eminem's huge rise in popularity about 10 years ago pretty much paralleled the jump in suburban hip-hop consumption. A lot of hip hop's biggest consumers and fans come from white (or non-black) suburbia.

I don't think so. In 1989, NWA was commenting that the crowds at their concerts was majority white. How old are you?

Almond said:
    When I was in junior high, a lot of boys started to bleach their hair blonde and started wearing wife beaters after seeing the "Real Slim Shady" music video by Eminem.

Ah, now I see.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Almond said:

Eminem did not bring rap to suburban white kids, and his debut did not coincide with any jump in the popularity of rap music; those trends were already both a decade old in 1999.

If anything, he was the artist that brought rap to old white people. I remember lots of fifty-somethings tawmbout "I never really saw the poetry in rap music before" circa 8 Mile.

edit: 5 pager alert

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Herm said:
    Busta blowing everybody including Nikki out the water on that new Khaled posse cut*

What song is this? Last Busta I heard was Stop The Party.

• Almond said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I know Eminem is "different," and a bit of a novelty in the rap industry, but I find his lyrics to be so angst-ridden that they're almost juvenile.

qft.

which is why i kind of preferred his more humorous battle rap/diss tracks over his more personal "fuck you im angry" schtick.

side question, does the latter really need quotes?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Herm said:
    Busta blowing everybody including Nikki out the water on that new Khaled posse cut*

All I do is win remix i think?
    Busta effin' kills it.

Herm said:
    Haven't heard this album, but between this news and Busta blowing everybody including Nikki out the water on that new Khaled posse cut* it looks like there may be hope for old, "washed up" rappers after all!

(insert Faux's "please be serious" retort here.)

I ride for veteran rappers.

The best album I've heard this year is E-40's, and I am eagerly awaiting Big Boi's.

• Cosmo said:
    Herm said:

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    Cosmo said:
    Herm said:

Busta effin' kills it.

That's the one! Everybody else is lame on it but Busta is straight up "king me motherf*cker." And deservedly so.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I still consider Busta to unquestionably be one of the GOATS. He rips this shit.

Scott said:
    Almond said:
    Eminem's huge rise in popularity about 10 years ago pretty much paralleled the jump in suburban hip-hop consumption. A lot of hip hop's biggest consumers and fans come from white (or non-black) suburbia.

I don't think so. In 1989, NWA was commenting that the crowds at their concerts was majority white. How old are you?

Almond said:
    When I was in junior high, a lot of boys started to bleach their hair blonde and started wearing wife beaters after seeing the "Real Slim Shady" music video by Eminem.

Ah, now I see.

I agree with you, Em was definitely not the "first." But for my generation (I'm almost 23), most of my peers think Lil Wayne is as hip-hop as it gets. The only reason I even knew who NWA was when I was a kid is because my daycare lady's college-aged daughter listened to it. The daycare lady herself listened to a lot of gospel music. I spent pretty much all of elementary school at daycare listening to Disney music, Kirk Franklin, NWA and Akinyele.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Woimsah said:
    Shears said:

Might be a little over the top. Just bc it's not his usual sound doesn't mean he "fell off". If you want to work with the other biggest MC in the world / one of the biggest artists of all time, you might need to work to find a common ground to fit his current sound.

Such as by sampling that Night at the Roxy song?

According to Just Blaze on Twitter, Em & Weezy specifically wanted to rhyme on that beat. Go figure.

Cosmo said:
    I still consider Busta to unquestionably be one of the GOATS. He rips this shit.

I think the only reason this isn't universally accepted is that he's been so prolific; basically, he's put out so much material that people take him for granted.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Also Busta has a nasty habit of phoning in some cookie cutter verses. It overshadows some of his better stuff.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    http://www.thisis50.com/profiles/blogs/eminem-crushes-the-competition

This can't be accurate can it? 750,000+ units in one day?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Dude did something like 225k in digital downloads alone.

Most rappers couldn't *give* 225,000 copies of their record away.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Herm said:
    Grandfather said:
    Cosmo said:
    Herm said:

Busta effin' kills it.

That's the one! Everybody else is lame on it but Busta is straight up "king me motherf*cker." And deservedly so.

Yeah, the song is fucking terrible, except for Busta ripping it. He's one of the few rappers out there who is versatile and consistently interesting.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Cosmo said:

I think the only reason this isn't universally accepted is that he's been so prolific; basically, he's put out so much material that people take him for granted.

You're super on point with that. And yeah, like Jonny says below he sometimes phones it in, but he's been putting out hot and RELEVANT records for 20 years now. I have a hard time thinking of anyone else who has had such a run and continually stayed at the front of the pack in a sense.

And as a DJ who's been in the clubs for a minute now, you all know that run during the late 90s and early 00s where the whole year of music was basically "Okay, we're waiting for a new Busta song" and then it comes out and shuts EVERYTHING down for 6+ months.

Like really, if this record were to come out today, it would kill things dead:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Man I wish this fucking record came out. Anyway, back to Drake. Or Em, whatever...