Weekend Finds

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
.50 cent yard-sale finds; nothing too special or whatever but that "breezy" ost has one really great extended blaxploitation cut on it as does "our mother's house" ost

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    That Nostaljazz album rocks on 3 tracks.

peace,xavier

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    from saturday morning:

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    planless said:
    from saturday morning:

The "Hits 14" record on the top left has a great little break on it.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

was about to have a wambulance about not finding anything lately then went to the markets today, nothing major and all cheap, but the Soul Mine has been a long time field want and copped for around the $5 mark

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    a couple stops on the way home from work on friday.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Traded in some more stuff and picked up the following:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jack McDuff - Magnetic Feel - Not seen this one before, it is soo good!

Maynard Ferguson - Riding High - Again not one I've seen before, great version of Meet a Cheetah and loads more funky sounds.

Trinidad Oli Company - The Calender Song - Spare of this excellent stell LP with covers of Shaft and Feelin' Alright

The Beginning of the End - Funky Nassau - I have so many obscure veriosn of the title track, have had he 45 of this version but never the LP. No idea why, it is a really solid LP!

Pete Terrace - King of Boogaloo - Spare of this classic latin LP

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    gloom said:

That Keem-o-Sabe record is a beast, IMO. It has some great samples/loops on it. That Peppermint Trolly joint is pretty decent too.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Why were psych-rockers obsessed with the word "peppermint"?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Sunfade said:
    Why were psych-rockers obsessed with the word "peppermint"?

It's like how Hip-Hop was obsessed with the word "Thug". Dudes thought they could throw "thug" in front of anything and make it Hip-Hop. Thug Matrix, Thug Passion, etc.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Earlier this past week, I went diggin' at this record shop down in Arlington, VA where I attended a research conference. Here are the highights of my finds:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    planless said:
    from saturday morning:

haa.. pulled that disco xmas crap record too the other week, a hard one to get through, did not toss it though, might come in handy after all, at some xmas disco set..

• lol, i pulled that Christmas disco yesterday too and even at .50 i could find no reason to justify purchasing it. nobody ever needs to hear "jingle bell rock" done up disco style.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Earlier this past week, I went diggin' at this record shop down in Arlington, VA where I attended a research conference. Here are the highights of my finds:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

that drums and keyboard.. is that drumBRAEKZ and keyboard ?

;D

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i cant front like all of this is from the weekend. more like the last month. some amazing house calls coupled with some good luck and one super friendly Jonny Paycheck yielded me these...got tons more but i tried to widdle the finds down. sold off a few pieces too like Growing Concern (Mainstream) and Nirvana (Vertigo UK)

first OG Coffy ever believe it or not

Chris Hills is really dope

never seen this Black Velvet on Okeh before but it is an awesome listen straight through. just great music!

Rhetta Hughes dope!!!

the Fania's are gold label stereos and surprisingly mint!

random rap heaters

found this after i saw it mentioned on this board actually

amazing garage/psych track i was put onto by Jonny! dude has taste. this has been in rotation for months!! stellar track

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    upskiboo said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

that drums and keyboard.. is that drumBRAEKZ and keyboard ?

;D

Hey Upskidoo,

It has a few breaks on there that, perhaps, could be chopped up and programmed. But then again, you can never have too many drum sounds :real_headz: .

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Breez said:
    gloom said:

That Keem-o-Sabe record is a beast, IMO. It has some great samples/loops on it. That Peppermint Trolly joint is pretty decent too.

totally agree on the electric indian LP, a few excellent b-boy/break tracks. a great example of the anti-raer BANGER.

b/w

doubles of peppermint trolly co in the thread!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    behemoth said:

amazing garage/psych track i was put onto by Jonny! dude has taste. this has been in rotation for months!! stellar track

FYI....Canadian band that recorded these two tunes in the 60's but were never released until '77 when the main band dude moved to Dallas.

Rockadelic said:
    behemoth said:

FYI....Canadian band that recorded these two tunes in the 60's but were never released until '77 when the main band dude moved to Dallas.

oh shit. I was wondering why the sound didn't coincide with the late 70s date...

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    It's been a while since I bought a record. Grabbed a couple today. The Candi Staton has 2 songs I'm liking; "Clean Up America" and "A Little Taste of Love". The Groove Holmes is good too, "Down Home Funk" being the highlight. "Don't Mess With Me" is cool too, kinda boogaloo-ish organ jazz with a quick, driving drum beat.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    behemoth's finds have got that spicy well rounded flavor i really enjoy when i sit down to a meal of new finds. nice work on Savage Resurrection, and lots of others you hardly ever see.

karlophone said:
    behemoth's finds have got that spicy well rounded flavor i really enjoy when i sit down to a meal of new finds. nice work on Savage Resurrection, and lots of others you hardly ever see.

that's how i feel about your finds. i strive to be like you. too bad it doesn't happen often ;)

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

b/w

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    Finds spanning back from the last couple months...

Balloon Farm shreds, needed a nice clean copy of "beggin"

Maggot Brain on 45!

Nite-Liters was Sealed!

Autumn is Sealed!

Mantronix is Sealed!

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    bass_fever said:

What's the flip side of this? And can I hear it?

And that Soul Inc is a garage record right?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    bass_fever said:

love that morning, noon, night LP, some great soul/disco bangers!

bass_fever said:

I'll see if I can hook up a soundclip when I get home. Soul Inc. is some quality Louisville, KY garage.

bass_fever said:

I'll see if I can hook up a soundclip when I get home. Soul Inc. is some quality Louisville, KY garage.