Old movies you've only seen recently...

Comments

• Unbelievably only saw this last month

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    ketan said:
    Carnal Knowledge is a great movie.

lol - I saw this when I was 10 or so and my babysitter was too clueless to switch the channel.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Death Wish 3 & 4
    Guns Of Navarone
    Pinky
    Stone Killer
    The Don Is Dead
    Thunderbolt & Lightfoot
    The Garment Jungle
    The Outside Man (check this theme!)

• The Conversation, not that Babs shit.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Been watching this on and off for the past 2 weeks or so. It's literally been on my laptop in pause-unpause-pause-unpause mode this whole time. I need to just sit down and watch the whole thing in one sitting. I'm a little more motivated to watch it now that I saw it referenced in Jeunet's Mic Macs tonight. I took it as a sign.

Also, all things Hip Hop-related, some of Bogarts's dialogue is sampled on this album:

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I just introduced a few friends of mine to the Godfather (I can't believe people haven't seen this film) and now, halfway through part II and they can't wait to see the rest tomorrow evening! Hopefully they won't get disappointed with Part III

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    I just introduced a few friends of mine to the Godfather (I can't believe people haven't seen this film) and now, halfway through part II and they can't wait to see the rest tomorrow evening! Hopefully they won't get disappointed with Part III

That's an easy fix, just don't watch Part III. The first time I saw the Godfather I saw all three in a row, and the third one was so anticlimactic, and just straight boring. I really wish I never saw that piece of crap.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    bluesnag said:
    Kinetic said:

That's an easy fix, just don't watch Part III. The first time I saw the Godfather I saw all three in a row, and the third one was so anticlimactic, and just straight boring. I really wish I never saw that piece of crap.

Yeah but after part II they will WANT to see the final one. If I'd pretended there wasn't a part III I might have been able to away with it. I don't think its that bad, but certainly nothing on the first one.

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    New Criterion of The Red Shoes looks fantastic

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,099 Posts
    fauxteur said:
    New Criterion of The Red Shoes looks fantastic

That is soon to be an "old movie I've only seen recently"...I recently ordered the new Criterion discs for Black Narcissus (which I love) and The Red Shoes (which I've never seen).

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    Yeah, I'd only seen Powell's Age of Consent (feat. Ron and Val Taylor) and Peeping Tom.
    The new Black Narcissus is next on my list. I'm expecting another facemelting transfer.

Have you seen Colonel Blimp?

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    bluesnag said:
    Kinetic said:

Couldn't agree more. Seriously, don't let em see it -- it just doesn't do anything fot the story at all -- only devalues it. I'm surprised they even box the three together. If I had to hear Sofia Coppola say "cuz" one more time...

fauxteur said:
    Have you seen Colonel Blimp?

No, BN is the only P&P I've seen. The most stunning thing about it is the sets. I think it's based in the Himalayas, and all the outdoor backdrops are these massive painted canvases.

We seem to be back in an age of artificial backdrops with all the bluescreen that happens (it's not just for ation movies anymore!) - only this time it's by convenience more than necessity.

bassie said:
    ketan said:
    Carnal Knowledge is a great movie.

lol - I saw this when I was 10 or so and my babysitter was too clueless to switch the channel.

At least it wasn't that other strange slice of Garfunkel, Bad Timing. THAT would've been scarring as a child. (Who here saw this as a child!?)

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Black Sunday (aka The Mask Of Satan) 1960

Ex Girl recently gave this to me on DVD accompanied with Lady Vengance.
    She really did know what I was down with

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    So Sky Arts (insert snobby emoticon here) has been killing it recently. Along with stuff like Fantastic Planet and Killer Of Sheep they also had the following which I finally ticked off my watchlist:

Had heard lots about this, was more than a little curious. In the end I think my expectations for it were all wrong and can't say I was amazed but it was an "interesting" viewing experience and still a pretty crazy feature. Very, very, long though.

Should really have watched Fitzcarraldo again first as I knew it had been a long time when I didn't automatically pick up that the scenes with Jagger weren't in the final film. Still fascinating example of an artist's obsessive vision though and a great companion piece to Heart of Darkness. Despite the fact that I could just watch Herzog talk about anything for 90 minutes it would have been nice to have a bit more input from others involved as well for balance.

This one however did really blow me away, can't believe I've never seen it before, one of those films that feels totally new but is also entirely of its time. Highly recommended.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Recently watched three excellent documentaries which I highly recommend:

Devil's Playground - At age 16 kids in the Amish community can break tradition and experience things in the "English" world as they please, with the end purpose of deciding whether or not to join the Amish church. Many kids go buck wild with drinking, drugs, etc. The movie goes into the stories of several specific kids who are struggling to make sense of their pending decision.

Stevie - Directed by Steve James, who did hoop dreams. Steve James returns to rural Illinois to visit his former Little Brother from the Big Brother program, Stevie Fielding, who is 26 at the time of filming. As it turns out, Stevie is arrested on some serious charges, and the film takes a relatively unbiased look at the circumstances of Stevie's family, upbringing, and alleged crime. This film affected me greatly, very emotional.

Man on Wire - When the Twin Towers were just completed, a French tightrope walker and his friends made a masterplan to sneak to the top and try to pull off the greatest tightrope walk of all time. Amazing story of passion to accomplish something great.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    bluesnag said:

Man on Wire - When the Twin Towers were just completed, a French tightrope walker and his friends made a masterplan to sneak to the top and try to pull off the greatest tightrope walk of all time. Amazing story of passion to accomplish something great.

^Needs to be seen on the big screen.

Saw Flight Of The Condor recently. Not recommended.

On the documentary tip I would like to recommend 2 I have seen recently.
    Note by Note: The Making of Steinway L1037
    2007NR81 minutes
    Documentary filmmaker Ben Niles chronicles the creation of Steinway pianos and the vanishing breed of craftsmen who build them. Follow the journey of these beautifully handcrafted, unique instruments from the factory to great concert halls. Interviews with such world-famous artists as Lang Lang, Harry Connick Jr., Hank Jones and many others highlight how Steinway grand pianos are selected by musicians.

Cast:
    Lang Lang, Harry Connick Jr., Hank Jones, H??l??ne Grimaud, Pierre-Laurent Aimard

Herb & Dorothy(2008) NR

Chronicling the story of unlikely art collectors Herb Vogel and Dorothy Vogel, filmmaker Megumi Sasaki demonstrates that it's not necessary to be wealthy in order to build a significant collection in this fascinating documentary. A postal clerk and a librarian, the Vogels share a passion for art, which they pursued over decades, becoming two of the most important collectors of minimalist and conceptual art with more than 4,000 pieces.

The Steinway movie is great showing both the craft that goes into making the pianos, the diverse people who work on them, and the time that great pianist (HCjr only gets a few minutes) spend selecting their instruments. Each piano is different and unique.

Herb and Dorothy have lived their entire married life in the same one bed Manhattan apt. They skipped the art dealer scene. With their small wages, and space they insisted on visiting artists in their studios. They collected many important artists when they were starting out, and those artists continued to give (or sell cheaply) works to Herb and Dorothy, because they trusted their taste and their commitment to documenting their work. They didn't have room for Cristo's, or Chuck Close's work, so they bought process sketches that would likely have been tossed after the work was completed. The end of the continuing story is great.

• bluesnag said:
    Stevie - Directed by Steve James, who did hoop dreams.

total downer but first rate.

here are afew i watched recently and enjoyed:

"wicker man"
    "julia"
    "tender mercies:"
    "absence of malice"
    "the executioner's song"
    "stalag 17"
    "ironweeds"
    "prizzi's honor"
    "lonestar"

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Jspr said:
    Finally caught Romero's "Dead Trilogy". Especially loved "Dawn..." - the thick social commentary, the raw biker-gore scene and the stretched-out hopeless feeling.

Dawn is up there with the greatest horror movies ever made IMO (though I'm aware there are others on here who disagree). My one regret with the Dead films is that it does mean that everything else Romero put his hand to is pretty much overlooked and, while he's directed some utter trash, he also made some great movies in the seventies and eighties. I actually thought Land wasn't a bad late entry in the Dead series as well, not up to the standard of the first three but very entertaining. The ones since have sadly been shit.

• Dunaway Holden and Duvall: great trio !

and I watched these two below:

plus I started watching this but I didn't finish...

bandagekills said:

Yes! Brilliant movie. I caught the super-latte pass on this one too. Man, trailers sure were different back then. Movies too, of course.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Herm said:
    Been watching this on and off for the past 2 weeks or so. It's literally been on my laptop in pause-unpause-pause-unpause mode this whole time. I need to just sit down and watch the whole thing in one sitting. I'm a little more motivated to watch it now that I saw it referenced in Jeunet's Mic Macs tonight. I took it as a sign.

The Big Sleep is a classic noir and I enjoy the movie but they massacred the story. it's based upon a Raymond Chandler mystery of the same name and the movie version just cut out pieces of story lines and left the rest so there's a bunch of unexplained events going on.

• Chandler is great, Its too bad that most of the movies made on his books are only so-so. The Cane books faired better IMO. Mildred Pierce, Double Indemnity.

I like end of Key Largo, where Bogart kills all the gangsters on the boat.

• I haven't read the novel, but it seems like the Hayes Code was main problem?
    The Big Sleep had changed a lot after the sanitizing

Speaking of well-known noirs, I recently saw Out of the Past (recommended, a genre classic with Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas) and Kiss Me Deadly (lazy writing, bad acting, ridiculous plot)

And the film with this musical interlude was cool too ...

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    speaking on raymond chandler: the long goodbye, with elliot gould as his philip marlowe, was great. Just watched it recently.
    can't believe i'd never seen it.
    robert altman directs...takes place in the 70s, but it works.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Reading Wikipedia's account of the making of the Big Sleep it appears they ran into all kinds of problems making a coherent plot. First, the film makers and Chandler himself weren't sure about what happened with one character. The moral codes meant that the main criminal in the book had to be changed in the movie. They edited out a bunch of scenes and added extra ones to highlight Lauren Bacall, and some important dialogue also ended up on the cutting room floor.