So he wants a refund...

ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
edited August 2005 in Record Collecting
I recntly sold this 45 for $67 plus I believe 5 shipping to the U.K for a total of 72...I think that's how much it was. Oh well. When I listened to the 45 it played perfect even though it had these 2 light glue marks. He is saying the record is in NM condition and I stated NM+. He wants 20 dollars back even though this 45 consistently sells for more than 60 in NM and better. I told him to just send it back, is that a good choice.

PLUS: He got to use the PAYPAL coupon back when it was still usable. So he payed 62 shipped.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    yeah, if he sends it back refund the price minus shipping.

• He is saying the record is in NM condition and I stated NM+.
    Wait, let me get this right. He wants a refund because the record is in NM condition? Let me know his user id so I can ban him from my auctions.

• what the heck is NM + ?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    what the heck is NM + ?

seriously. i can only imagine the difference between nm & nm+ being one 1/16" superficial surface mark not affecting play.

just say no to refunds.

seriously. i can only imagine the difference between nm & nm+ being one 1/16" superficial surface mark not affecting play.

just say no to refunds.

He says it makes a small click. I played this 45 a few times like 5 times and it made no click whatsoever. He wants 20 for a "click".

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    He wants 20, he's a "dick".

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    what the heck is NM + ?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    what the heck is NM + ?

just say no to refunds.

He says it makes a small click. I played this 45 a few times like 5 times and it made no click whatsoever. He wants 20 for a "click".

If I play a NM record 5 times, I lower the grade to EX. To me NM is not for records that get played like that.

A click can be caused by many things. A record may well play differently on different systems.

The question is how serious are you about being a seller? Just looking to make a quick buck on ebay, screw him. Want to build a client base of serious collectors? Do the right thing.

What is NM+? Is it below M?

Dan

• If I play a NM record 5 times, I lower the grade to EX. To me NM is not for records that get played like that.

Huh, I never heard of that criteria before. If the record still looks NM and sounds NM after 5 plays or 50 plays for that matter, why downgrade it?

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Please to ban geoff33rpm from all your actions if you don't want half a dozen insane, pun-filled rants about NM records.

• Please to ban geoff33rpm from all your actions if you don't want half a dozen insane, pun-filled rants about NM records.

Were the puns funny at least? And is it necessary to ban him from ALL my actions? Ayo!

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    MY FIRST AYO
    YAAAYYYYY

And the puns were not funny, they were pathetic and scary.

• MY FIRST AYO
    YAAAYYYYY

And the puns were not funny, they were pathetic and scary.

I think I actually ayo-ed myself, so don't pop the champagne just yet.

exactly.

• NM+ doesn't exist, if it has a click it's not NM anything.

Hoh!

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    I agree if it clicks it's not NM nor EX (according to that record collector system).

He can send the record back and get his money back... Don't give a partial refund if you don't feel like it!

Speaking of grading records, UK dealers usually are crap at this.. Ex this and that ... Beware!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    NM+ doesn't exist, if it has a click it's not NM anything.

Hoh!

Yes and yes. NM+ sounds like mint to me, and the nicest a rackord can possibly be after leaving the plant is NEAR mint because its already less than once its out in the world

• chrischris 287 Posts
    -love when dudes' grading system consists of: m++, m+, m, m-, m--, nm++, nm+, nm, nm-, nm--

by the time you're in "vg+" territory, you have one of the most wasted records in existence.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    -love when dudes' grading system consists of: m++, m+, m, m-, m--, nm++, nm+, nm, nm-, nm--

by the time you're in "vg+" territory, you have one of the most wasted records in existence.

it's a slipperly slope.

on the otherhand; sometimes people have unrealistic expectations of records as a medium in general, let alone cheapy private issues.

---

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    NM+ doesn't exist, if it has a click it's not NM anything.

Hoh!

Yes and yes. NM+ sounds like mint to me, and the nicest a rackord can possibly be after leaving the plant is NEAR mint because its already less than once its out in the world

yeah, I agree. only thing above NM is a sealed record. Which is will sometimes be NM- when opened.

• Ex this and that ... Beware!

Excellent is a very broad grade for a lot of dealers. I have gotten what I'd call VG/VG+ records marked "E" or "E-"... If it has more than several light marks, I knock it down to VG+. "Excellent" should mean what it says... For me there's NM (spotless), E (couple light imperfections), VG+ (used but strong condition), VG (used but OK), VG- (messy, but should be minimally acceptible), and on down. I tend to use G and "poor"/"used" for things that are completely smashed.

I don't believe in VG++(+++) either

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    NC is completely ignorant to this whole EX phenom, and I'm including myself there

Remove the E from your scale and bump everything else up a notch - thats what we're working on here

I think dudes who buy records off the store I work at on ebay are probably pleasantly surprised about the condition

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I recntly sold this 45 for $67 plus I believe 5 shipping to the U.K for a total of 72...I think that's how much it was. Oh well. When I listened to the 45 it played perfect even though it had these 2 light glue marks. He is saying the record is in NM condition and I stated NM+. He wants 20 dollars back even though this 45 consistently sells for more than 60 in NM and better. I told him to just send it back, is that a good choice.

PLUS: He got to use the PAYPAL coupon back when it was still usable. So he payed 62 shipped.

I think you're in a dangerous territory when you get start coming up with grades like "NM +". If I see a seller offering stuff graded like that, I just stay away. A NM record should play without a flaw. The buyer should try giving the 45 a good cleaning - maybe there's a piece of dust lodged in the groove?

h

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i think the root of the problem is the NM+ grade in the first place.. a grade like that is just asking for touble and nitpickery.

in my experience the only thing you should grade as mint is a sealed record (though that doesnt mean it aint warped or damaged upon opening)

a NM record should appear UNPLAYED

if you played it five times to check it and it has a bit of glue stain on it i'd call that VG+ with the caveat that it appears unplayed, but you;ve played it through to test it.

i think the more conservatively you grade the less likely people are to complain.

• haha I'm guilty of using VG++ ...as a closer to NM- VG+. Never had any complaints.

The best grade I EVER give a record is NM- unless it's sealed with perfect shrink/no cover flaws, etc.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Using nonstandard grading IMO is unprofessional.

Bidding on records with nonstandard grading IMO is unwise.

Ebay is a crapshoot, so if you don't want complications stick to the standards.

• haha I'm guilty of using VG++ ...as a closer to NM- VG+. Never had any complaints.

The best grade I EVER give a record is NM- unless it's sealed with perfect shrink/no cover flaws, etc.

Haha no worries... Most people that use VG++ use it to describe what I call "Ex". It's all the same shit...

• If you think he's right I would refund partial. If not, let him send back the record.

I try to be conservative in grading. Sometimes when I grade stuff that's not expected to fetch crazy prices, I can make a mistake and feel very bad when one does go sky high and turns out to be in less condition when I play it to check why it got a crazy price. In such a case I will tell the buyer before sending and mostly they still want it and I throw in an extra or refund a part. I know I should grade rare and less rare records equally, but there can be a hurry or temporal lack of interest.

As a buyer I stay away from sellers that are dubious on gradings. Especially records that have no scratches but are worn out (spindle wear, noise) being sold as ex or better, I hate that. I don't argue about it mostly and take the loss but I just lose interest in that seller's records.

Okay, once in a while I get so excited about a record that's unique, I wish so hard it's perfect and unconsiously miss defects while grading and maybe I'm guilty and subconsciously I rip people off. That happens maybe once a year and I should see somebody about that because I can wake up in sweat years after it.

• cant be NM if it has a tick.

• Sorry I don't know grading, I meant VG something. But it did not click on my setup. I even made an mp3 of it without having to clean up anything. But I mean for him to want 20 bucks back is too much. I rather keep the record myself and just give him his money back then end up selling it for 47. Yesterday we were e-mailing back and forth and as soon as I e-mailed him to just send it back, he stopped e-mailing me. I am positive someone else would've been like it's good for the price. Another one that same day went for 91 in MINT so WTF.