Blacking Up:Hip-Hop's Remix of Race/Identity Video

2»

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    A Stupid Undead Black Female/Bird Wizard???

no way bro comeon I'm not some boutique culture raider...I do have a little pride

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    this piece is totally disconnected to what's going in large metropolitan cities like NY, LA and SF.

Part of it takes place in NY

There are plenty of white assholes with fucked up racial/rap-related issues in every major city.

So this ISIS EMPIRE is representative of what's really real in Brooklyn?

Second, white kids' struggles to fit into the fabric of rap music and their perceptions of urban/black life and culture is a lot less interesting than, well, actual urban/black culture and the lives, perceptions, contradictions, and work of black rap artists. It just seems like so much navel gazing.

I agree.
    But I'm looking over my shoulder to see if it's cool...

internal struggle inna yard? where's the othr one wtf

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    watch this doc if only for the portion where the dominant empire isis lady instructs their guest black singer to sing about jah and lions of judah...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    crack'd out should get a serious KRS beatdown
    Empire Isis is incredibly disconected (admittidly so)

but to me the fact they have success hurts my brain

and this is what frustrates me the most with this
    is even a group like cracked out makes more money off shows than certain established rap artists

same for reggae...white rappers and reggae artists are blowing up in quebec and even get radio play
    some established artists have to do featuring with them to get some shine

like pac said...it's still white man's world

in quebec

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    "the rhythmic acupuncture pierced my skin"

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    crack'd out should get a serious KRS beatdown
    Empire Isis is incredibly disconected (admittidly so)

but to me the fact they have success hurts my brain

and this is what frustrates me the most with this
    is even a group like cracked out makes more money off shows than certain established rap artists

same for reggae...white rappers and reggae artists are blowing up in quebec and even get radio play
    some established artists have to do featuring with them to get some shine

like pac said...it's still white man's world

I don't know man, rap and reggae has always been and will always be the purview of black folk. There may be some exceptional white performers like Eminem, but it's not like white folks are taking over the game. If you want to criticize whitey making money off black folk's music, then you should focus on the record industry/media.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    in quebec

we are a suburb of North America

but actually more like a microcosm

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    all that is wrong about music/image

in a short promo paragraph...plus the girl went solo

Nominated 11 times in 2008/2009 for awards such as BEST INTERNATIONAL ARTIST & BEST NEW POP ARTIST, this North-African beauty defies all preconceived ideas of your typical Urban artist. Empire ISIS aka ?Gangstress? brings a new meaning to word "World Music" by breaking down the musical barriers and fusing Hiphop, Reggae into a pop format on her second LP "Brand New Style". ISIS has stayed true to her roots and movement while gaining international recognition on her DIY approach.

?Brand New Style?, was recorded between Montreal, New York, Tel Aviv and Kingston. The album was recorded by industry super producers Prayon, (Beyonce, G-Unit, Sean Paul) and Overstand (Damien Marley, Sizzla) at studio such as Tuff Gong, Penthouse, & King Of Kings. ISIS has painstakingly developed her sound and image while writing and maintaining ownership of all her songs under her brothers record label Monumental Records distributed by DEP/Universal Music Group. Empire ISIS songs have been featured on 8 different shows this year. Hits such as ?Dont? Go Home? or ?Participate? can be heard on ABC, CBS, CTV, and on MTV?s number 1 show ?The Hills?. Also winning major contests such as ?Mytune Artist of the Year?, and ?100% Music Songwriting Contest?. ISIS brings a militant, passionate, and high energy type of Urban music which can be appreciated by all. From her unique look to her blazing lyrics, ISIS is a true provocateur challenging peoples perceptions, stereotypes and common modes of thinking.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    finally here is The Gangstress herself speaking on an event i hate as well

but to here her, out of all people, call out people for being corporate whores it is hilarious

her voice,persona and patois is laughable
    she speaks on smoking a blunt and drinking a 40
    narcicystically loving herself and claiming she is starting a revolution

eseential clon listening

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Um...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I had high hopes for this thread, but after watching it I can see this might hit a little too close to home for some folks here.
    You know something is up when a race thread is city instead of an instant 10 pager.

Aw, c'mon, day - even those of us who recognise anything of themselves in something like that are hardly about to admit it, are they?

^^^^ Owns a signed/framed copy of Young Black Teenagers LP ^^^^

I liked that album.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    just like my posting

she won't surrender

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    ISIS has painstakingly developed her sound and image

ermmm, probably not something you should be advertising

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    but her blazing lyrics and unique look make her a true
    provocateur

i need to know what happened to her fellow soldier...is she out doing her own thing? ...laying in a ditch with a Saskatchewan Necktie??? Where is she???

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i need to know what happened to her fellow soldier...is she out doing her own thing? ...laying in a ditch with a Saskatchewan Necktie??? Where is she???

http://soundslikefun.blogspot.com/2005/04/empire-strikes-back.html

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    wow that chuck lidell video you posted had me wondering about her perfect quebecois accent
    thanks for this
    the embrasemnt continues
    lord a mercy

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Watching this now and can't belieeeeeve Goldilocks told Half Pint to sing about "the promised land" and "Zion."

Watching this now and can't belieeeeeve Goldilocks told Half Pint to sing about "the promised land" and "Zion."

That was one of several scenes I had to watch through my fingers.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    please part the red seas...ya know
    we nee a

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I gotta say that the Al Jolson Appreciation Society was definitely the creepiest part of the whole doc.

• I enjoyed the documentary. I also appreciate the criticisms mentioned in the previous posts. It is obviously dated, and picks some really extreme examples to highlight the main argument of cultural hijack.

I thought the use of "wigger" to criticize other white identified hip-hop fans in Indiana was interesting. From my perspective it is a particular kind of racial policing to prevent people from expressing preferences for non-white identified music.

The scene with Grandmaster Caz handing out fake bling and kangols to people getting off the hip hop tour bus was sad. Reminds me of the scenes in Life & Debt (Jamaica documentary) of tourists traveling through a poor community in a zebra striped jeep.

I also was struck by Cracked out's final answer to critics: "you're scared of black people." Full-tilt appropriation. I also noted the guy interviewed at 50 mins who explains that if there WERE any black people in the club he "would be looking over his shoulder" to see if it's okay to laugh about the rap parody. Seems like a good example of white-dominant space. If you have to act differently when people of color are there . . .

It isn't mind-blowing, but it's a useful tool for discussing cultural appropriation. Similar to "White Shamans and Plastic Medicine Men." Thanks for the link.