Blog Here v.2.0

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

this looks awesome!!!

thanks! after this we are going to whip up another batch of our hard cider:

the last time we had a tasting party for this, it resulted in one of our friends injuring himself by doing a knee drop on the hardwood floors

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Sake-marinated Alaskan Cod in shiso broth with shrimp wontions.

Had this with the girl at Nobu last week:

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Bad: Time to demo. Who the fu** paints a bathroom purple???!! HUH??!! WHO!

Ha -- I have been on the house hunt, too, for the last several months (everything seems in line ahead of closing in the next week or so), and there appears to be a direct relationship between the people who put their houses on the market and them painting all the rooms some zany-ass colors. Deep red, hot pink, blueberry blue, bright green -- I have seen them all.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Good: Summer is almost here. Spending quality time with the fiance.

Bad: Just found out Mom has lung cancer, work is kicking my ass, and I have to summon the will to apply to business schools and hunt for a job in NYC.

I think bad is winning right now.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    THIS DANNY KRIVIT INTRODUCES P&P RECORDS COMP IS RIDICULOUS

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Bad: Time to demo. Who the fu** paints a bathroom purple???!! HUH??!! WHO!

Ha -- I have been on the house hunt, too, for the last several months (everything seems in line ahead of closing in the next week or so), and there appears to be a direct relationship between the people who put their houses on the market and them painting all the rooms some zany-ass colors. Deep red, hot pink, blueberry blue, bright green -- I have seen them all.

I would totally paint a bathroom purple. My room is a deep lavender. The bathroom, though, is a cream color.

• I have 3 alarms that ive slept through for over an hour. I dont know how i do it, but i can.

Good: Im going to Peru on Saturday

Bad: I'm trying to figure out a way to get back with my ex girlfriend who left me about a year ago without emasculating myself. I'm not even sure this is possible, which is leading to me conclude that castration is my inevitable future.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Bad: I'm trying to figure out a way to get back with my ex girlfriend who left me about a year ago without emasculating myself. I'm not even sure this is possible, which is leading to me conclude that castration is my inevitable future.

STICK YOSELF!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i'm seeing all sorts of pics lately of people carrying wombats and i want to see one in person.

on another note, this sloth really reminds me of phil spector

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

Sake-marinated Alaskan Cod in shiso broth with shrimp wontions.

Had this with the girl at Nobu last week:

on a related fish note, last night i bought some catfish and was on my way to buy grab some lemons so i could recreate a great lemon pepper catfish meal i ate a couple weeks ago. got caught up in the citrus section though and decided to opt for a grapefruit instead, figuring it should work just as well.

it was DAMN good. nice and simple--just squeezed juice from a 1/4 grapefruit all over a couple of fillets, then added some black pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper. cooked them in a saucepan in olive oil and butter, served with steamed broccoli and plain couscous cooked in chicken stock with turmeric, coriander, garlic powder, oregano, allspice, and red pepper flakes.

super easy, delicious, and pretty healthy.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    The Good

-DJing my first soul all-nighter in Manchester, UK later this month.
    -Been finding some great records recently.
    -Best friend moved back into town.
    -Discovered a slamming new taco spot

BAD:

-Still clueless about what to do with my life.
    -Icelandic volcano threatening my trip.
    -Post-radiation circulation problems still fucking with me.
    -Cubs have been playing like shit (what's new though, right?)

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    My beloved 11 year old cat, John, is having trouble walking
    today. It's as if his back legs aren't working and he has no control of his front legs. Going to the vet tomorrow. I'm scared. I love this little guy, we have been through a lot together. He was fine last night and besides his legs not working he seems fine...he is eating, purrs when you pet him and doesn't seem to be in any pain. I hope it isn't a stroke and will pass. This sucks.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Just had a dude come over last night (no ayo) to talk to me about my retirement savings, I feel grown up.

The kid tries to dye it's hair a lighter shade of blonde, turns it bright yellow instead (of course nothing like the picture on the pack), then informs that she won't be going to school until it's fixed. So she goes the first day & gets teased. $120 at the salon later she is now a stylish brunette, lol. Her first home hair dye experience. Bright yellow hair was hilarious & the look of shock on her face was priceless.

I made good progress the other night on finishing recording my new 45, only organ & voice to go.

Damn car had a cracked radiator tank, needed replacement, there goes this week's record money.

A stack of papers on Miles Davis to grade, needs to get done, but I just can't get motivated.

• i applied to university.

name the top 3 things you could go back to school for TODAY if you could drop everything and do it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Congratulations!!!!!! Which one? For what? Second time? First time? Graduate? What? What? What?

Child/Youth Worker

Art History/Museum Studies

Linguistics

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    yeah, congrats and best of luck with the app.

i'd love to study more about:
    - sociology of morality
    - psychoneuroimmunology
    - computer programming

• never went to university the first time around. i did a year of college, played varsity, then went off to join the trades. now that i've built up the means to go after it properly, and the fact that i've torn my achilles and cant do any real labor for roughly a year, i should start towards a BA. after looking through the programs offered by the universities around here, i think i'm going to take cognitive sciences. it's a mixture of linguistics, psychology, philosophy and robotics. maybe i'll be able to finally figure out what the hell is going on with some of the people around here, amirite or amirite? basically leads towards neurosciences, but after all a BA is a BA. i also have thoughts of following up as far along as law school, or maybe just stop there and jump back into work. but at least i'd have one more piece of validation people need to see to know you've got a brain.

That's pretty exciting, J - best of luck on getting into your first choice!

• bassie said:

thanks A-------.

call me overconfident, but i didn't even consider 'not getting in' an option.

haha! you're absolutely right, silly me!

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    after looking through the programs offered by the universities around here, i think i'm going to take cognitive sciences. it's a mixture of linguistics, psychology, philosophy and robotics.

awesome. are you a fan of oliver sacks books? that story in the other thraed about how spike lee and stevie wonder seem to have fundamentally different perceptions of voice made me think of his stuff... and your program.

except for the robotics. what's up with that? is that about how to create mind-driven robots?!

• ketan said:
    vintageinfants said:
    after looking through the programs offered by the universities around here, i think i'm going to take cognitive sciences. it's a mixture of linguistics, psychology, philosophy and robotics.

awesome. are you a fan of oliver sacks books? that story in the other thraed about how spike lee and stevie wonder seem to have fundamentally different perceptions of voice made me think of his stuff... and your program.

except for the robotics. what's up with that? is that about how to create mind-driven robots?!

I'm pretty sure a modest chunk of the program lies in language, and how else will we communicate with our new computer overlords if we don't learn their language?

from the site:

In order to integrate findings from different fields, you???ll be trained in the methodologies of different disciplines, and you???ll have the opportunity to apply these methods in order to examine the nature of thought, memory, perception, language, and other cognitive processes. You will have the opportunity to take courses in:

Mind, Brain and Self
    Neural Bases of Behaviours
    Psycholinguistics
    Philosophical Foundations of Artificial Intelligence
    Animal Behaviour

and again, i'm not betting heavy on this as my only path to glory (yes, "glory") but at least i might stay interested enough to get the piece of paper.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    That's awesome! Best of luck to you, sir.

If I could do it all over again, I would study one of the following:

Law
    Medicine
    Commerce

For the last year or so, I've considered getting an MBA, but I don't think it will help me further my career any more than taking the right job at the right time.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Best of luck J***. I personally think you'll stroll it, if not literally.

After finishing school with nothing more than the desire to own motorised transport to the next town, I was fortunate enough to blag my way through a degree in "Computation" back in the days before the internet. No, it wasn't all abacuses and greek symbols, there was some stuff I actually understood.

Highlights were Information Theory (see Claude Shannon), the perception and inference of rules in real-world systems and interface psychology. I found really opened up my mind in a kind of "F*ck, yes!" apple/penny-dropping way. There are some profound ideas in there.

Having done that, if I had no obligations on my time or money I would study:

Composition, because music is the best. I knew that already, but the real world can sometimes make you forget.

Spanish because sometimes I have to take time off and go to places where there is definite sunshine, which will never be Britain, and I want to be able to talk about more than "Two beers, please." It feels lazy when they all manage to speak enough English/German.

Engineering, because I have always liked trick rides and engine transplants. Folls fabricating their own engine mounts and such. Tool pr0n.

• bassie said:

done deal. i start monday. go........ Lions? i think?

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    UBC? Whatchya takin'?

vintageinfants said:
    bassie said:

York?

• bassie said:
    vintageinfants said:
    bassie said:

York?

parallax said:
    UBC? Whatchya takin'?

starting at York. i was given offers to be in the cognitive sciences program as well as their law undergrad. i chose the cognitive sciences program because it seemed like it would be the most engaging. pending the relocation of my girlfriends career i could potentially be seeking a transfer by mid-term or year end.

the whole exercise is basically a means to an end. i'm not cemented in to the school itself, but i'm at least IN one to transfer out of. and i'm not cemented into the program, but i'm...... you get it.

carpenter to possible neuroscientist in the span of one month.... gonna be interesting.

btw, i'm trying to think of the last conversation i had with an 18 year old who wasn't serving me a sandwich or coffee..... looks like it's time to consult the NewRapz thread.