SoulStrut Dudes: Who Else Sucks Right Now

124»

Comments

• day said:
    This sounds like some post-rhythm-free-form-whocareswherethesyllablesfall shit

this is exactly what is good/interesting about it

i could really give a shit about antiquated notions of "rhymin prowess" or "the craft, son" anymore

kids out there trying a million things all at once, anything that comes to mind, and actually making catchy, infectious SONGS is pretty remarkable

but i do 100% understand why this is not appealing to many people.... damn

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I dunno that having some quantifiable degree of skill in your chosen field of endeavour is necessarily an antiquated notion. In 1976, for example, winging it seemed like a pretty radical move. Now it seems more like the mark of people who, aided and abetted by technology, can't be bothered to put the work in.

I take your broader point, though, and while I have no issue with Soulja Boy riding that wave for all it's worth, I'm not entirely convinced that this is a particularly good example of what you're referring to. In fact, I don't even think it's a particularly good Soulja Boy record. I'd take something like Toot It And Boot It over this any day.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Let me do the work for you and post this in the what sucks thread - I love this song.
    SUMMMMMMMERRRRRRR LURRRRRVVVVVVE

why you wanna tease me
    you should wanna squeeze me

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    rape_donkeys said:
    day said:

i could really give a shit about antiquated notions of "rhymin prowess" or "the craft, son" anymore

kids out there trying a million things all at once, anything that comes to mind, and actually making catchy, infectious SONGS is pretty remarkable

The difference is it's not intentional or artistic, it's just lazy.

If we're gonna celebrate what kids are doing with this rap shit, then let's go to back to that Earl/Odd Future thread.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    press play and minimize the window. I'm not asking you to opine on the video. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same song. You really ride for this?

I did just watch it and realized that you dudes are actually sitting around discussing the non-Gucci Mane version of "Pretty Boy Swag"

LOL--nobody listens to that

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    day said:
    rape_donkeys said:
    day said:

Rappers with no rhythm should take their asses to Def Poetry Jam.

• day said:

If we're gonna celebrate what kids are doing with this rap shit, then let's go to back to that Earl/Odd Future thread.

i like odd future too. and roach gigz or whatever other kids are on some intricate rap craft shit. but it is more nostalgic. of course i like style and cadence and wordplay and all that old bullshit, and i still get excited when i hear kids that do it well. but really it reminds me of what used to get me excited about rap music. there's only so many places you can go via being a skilled rapper. really, what are you going to do with it that kane, rakim, (your favorite rapper) haven't already? if your rhymes are nice, good on you, but there's been quite a lot of guys who rhyme nice.

in general i find it more interesting to hear some kids fucking around and making some shit they want to listen to, that doesn't sound like anything else. and i disagree that it's "just" lazy - if it was lazy, these kids wouldn't be making hundreds of songs a year. they just want to make some music that bangs, that they're excited about. a lot of other people find that excitement contagious. they make a stupid little hook out of bullshitting around, they dance to it. how is this any different than what's always gone on?

if i'm going to be a bitter old know-it-all, i'll try to get more out of it than reliving what i used to feel. i agree 'pretty boy swag' is ridiculous (and i like the souljerr version just fine even without gucci crushing it), but i think there's a single-minded dismissive tone in general to this kind of shit. and it seems to come from some knee-jerk rejection to "wack rhyme styles" or synth beats or some other such clingy bullshit that just does not matter at all. the kids are feeling it is not a defense of the music, but you don't make a body of work as dense as soulja or lil b or even flocka without putting in work, cultivating an audience, and developing your craft - even if your craft is being very high and rhyming at 13 beats per minute. these dudes can get their props and odd future can get their props. and i happily listened to dmx at a yuppie happy hour, and i'm listening to buhloone mindstate at my house. there's "it's not for me" and then there's "this is terrible." soulja boy is a "terrible" rapper but i'll take terrible, entertaining and sly over good and boring any day.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Mike_Bell said:
    I am underwhelmed by Roc Marciano, ditto for Guilty Simpson (the new stuff anyway), which brings me to the OJ Simpson which is perfect for naptime but not much else and I was never a fan of Minaj.
    Cosign on everything, except for Roc Marciano.
    Guilty Simpson should be prohibited from rapping.

look at this fag

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    rape_donkeys said:
    day said:

i like odd future too. and roach gigz or whatever other kids are on some intricate rap craft shit. but it is more nostalgic. of course i like style and cadence and wordplay and all that old bullshit, and i still get excited when i hear kids that do it well. but really it reminds me of what used to get me excited about rap music. there's only so many places you can go via being a skilled rapper. really, what are you going to do with it that kane, rakim, (your favorite rapper) haven't already? if your rhymes are nice, good on you, but there's been quite a lot of guys who rhyme nice.

in general i find it more interesting to hear some kids fucking around and making some shit they want to listen to, that doesn't sound like anything else. and i disagree that it's "just" lazy - if it was lazy, these kids wouldn't be making hundreds of songs a year. they just want to make some music that bangs, that they're excited about. a lot of other people find that excitement contagious. they make a stupid little hook out of bullshitting around, they dance to it. how is this any different than what's always gone on?

if i'm going to be a bitter old know-it-all, i'll try to get more out of it than reliving what i used to feel. i agree 'pretty boy swag' is ridiculous (and i like the souljerr version just fine even without gucci crushing it), but i think there's a single-minded dismissive tone in general to this kind of shit. and it seems to come from some knee-jerk rejection to "wack rhyme styles" or synth beats or some other such clingy bullshit that just does not matter at all. the kids are feeling it is not a defense of the music, but you don't make a body of work as dense as soulja or lil b or even flocka without putting in work, cultivating an audience, and developing your craft - even if your craft is being very high and rhyming at 13 beats per minute. these dudes can get their props and odd future can get their props. and i happily listened to dmx at a yuppie happy hour, and i'm listening to buhloone mindstate at my house. there's "it's not for me" and then there's "this is terrible." soulja boy is a "terrible" rapper but i'll take terrible, entertaining and sly over good and boring any day.

rape_donkeys said:
    there's "it's not for me" and then there's "this is terrible."

This needs to come up every time Strutters log in as a friendly reminder.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I for one am willing to concede that Gucci mane is not for me and Soulja Boy is terrible.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    rape_donkeys said:
    there's "it's not for me" and then there's "this is terrible."

Indeed there is; "Pretty Boy Swag," besides sounding like bragging about being the sassiest metro around, is terrible.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    bassie said:
    Let me do the work for you and post this in the what sucks thread - I love this song.
    SUMMMMMMMERRRRRRR LURRRRRVVVVVVE

why you wanna tease me
    you should wanna squeeze me

The grandmother test: could my grandma, who listens to Classical, hear any difference between that Gucci and this?

I doubt it. POP MUSIC. No shame in that. It's selling, it's popular. But I don't even think my granny would call it hip-hop.

I can't see the comparison post.
    I don't recall calling it hip hop - there is no rapping in this song.

(I appreciate your point, but my girlfriend - who I have a lot of fun going to the clurb with - is a 39yr old grandmother. Perhaps you should change it to the Grumpy Test?)

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    press play and minimize the window. I'm not asking you to opine on the video. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same song. You really ride for this?

I did just watch it and realized that you dudes are actually sitting around discussing the non-Gucci Mane version of "Pretty Boy Swag"

LOL--nobody listens to that

LOL!

• HarveyCanal said:
    I just ignored Killah Priest's friend request on facebook.

spit take hilarity.