SoulStrut Dudes: Who Else Sucks Right Now

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Paul said:
    Duder secretly uses Tinie Tempah - Pass Out to transition between his hip-hop and drum and bass sets.

Pass Out is a great little tune, I can't front. The first #1 pop single for years that I actually went out and bought.

• DocMcCoy said:

Anyway, the UK acts who really Suck Right Now for me are Scouting For Girls, who've actually sucked for a couple of years (imagine Ben Folds Five with severe head trauma), and Florence And The Machine. Florence Welch has the kind of voice that makes me wish I was deaf. She doesn't so much sing as honk; a horrible, braying travesty of a singer. Needless to say, both these acts have sold a few million records.

agreed. scouting for girls are shite. florence gets thoroughly on my tits, particularly her warbled butchering of candi staton, which is just shocking in every way. it says a lot about the british public that they will buy even a shite version of that song, because it's so iconic.

and yes pass out is fire.

• I'm embarrassed that I hated on Lil B when there's garbage like LMFAO out there. I like The Pack is Back. If I see one a them Gordy clowns, fuck them.

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    Herm said:

I'm not too familiar with the Curren$y & Wiz Khalifa catalogues, but I have heard a few songs and truthfully, I can't tell the difference between the two dudes.

Pause.

You must have someone managed to hear the songs without hear at least one line from both rappers. Curren$y has a drawl. Khalifa doesn't. They really don't sound anything alike.

CHere's an example.I haven't heard enough from either of them to form an opinion but I like Curren$y's verse on this:

This sounds good to my ears too:

Carry on.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Junior said:
    It's not for lack of effort, though - there's been a TV ad campaign for the Drake album running for a few weeks now. Somewhat tellingly, none of the music in it features any examples of Drake rapping. Which still isn't as bizarre as the TV ad for Jay-Z's Blueprint 3, where you heard Alicia, Rihanna and Mr. Hudson singing the hooks from their respective guest features, but didn't hear any Jay.

This doesn't really surprise me. I think that white people--which is who any rapper that wants to sell a lot of records must still reach--are mostly over rap. The major label strategy in packaging rappers increasingly appears to be discouraging them from actually rapping. If you check the US pop charts, virtually all of the rap that appears there is by artists who devote a significant amount of their output to doing something other than rapping--B.O.B., Drake, BEP, etc. Just rapping has increasingly become a statement. This is one reason why I like Jeezy's "Lose My Mind" so much--there's really no other artist at his level of popular exposure who's still putting out unapologetically grimy singles like that.

Sidenote: it is genuinely depressing to see a fake Andre 3000 in the person of B.O.B. experience so much more success than the actual Big Boi.

jjrocks said:
    Curren$y

...has fallen off hard, IMO.

I really like the mixtapes he was doing about two years ago, but his recent album was severely disappointing.

The obvious culprit is excessive weed consumption, as evidenced by the completely haphazard album and the reduced clip at which he puts out mixtapes. And I'm gonna allot some blame to Dame Dash, just because.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    jjrocks said:
    Curren$y

The more I hear from him, the more I like.
    Doesn't hurt that he's on one of my favourite songs of the year - The Day w/ Mos Def and Jay Electronica.
    Yea, I couldn't believe it myself!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    haha!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Paul said:
    Duder secretly uses Tinie Tempah - Pass Out to transition between his hip-hop and drum and bass sets.

:coolhmm:

(secret squirrel smiley has gone...)

oh, and that Marina & The Diamonds. Another upper-middle-class white girl singer who probably went to art school, writes annoying songs, and gets pimped everywhere. Although unlike La Roux, heard her singing live and it was better than the recorded version. But still annoying.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    jjrocks said:
    Curren$y

...has fallen off hard, IMO.

I really like the mixtapes he was doing about two years ago, but his recent album was severely disappointing.

i am also a fan, but Pilot Talk was not good.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    excessive weed consumption

There's no such thing.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    willie_fugal said:
    $100 to whomever can explain why this is suddenly all over the radio. truly awful:

career shark jumpage.

The worst thing I have heard in a long time.

b/w

Who's gonna step up and make a "pretty boy swag" graemlin?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    That Soulja Boy is far from the superscietifical knock I know y'all stay fiending for, but I don't see how it's hate-able either.

b/w

Chris Houston of the Detroit Lions was down here (in his hometown of Austin) all summer steady referring to himself as Prettyboiswag to anyone who'd listen.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    willie_fugal said:
    $100 to whomever can explain why this is suddenly all over the radio. truly awful:

career shark jumpage.

b/w

Sup with my man in the back left?

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    what's soulstrut think about wale? gimmick rapper? does anyone outside of the mid atlantic care?

• edulus said:
    what's soulstrut think about wale? gimmick rapper? does anyone outside of the mid atlantic care?

i dont know what the strut thinks about wale, but i like a couple of his tracks. i cant tell you the names of them because i just dont know them. but from what little ive heard, there's a couple tracks i liked and a couple that really sucked.

but i get the feeling 4 years from now i wont be diggin for that wale casette to satisfy some kind of desire to listen to him. but i'd probably be like "oh yeah, this that shit, i aint heard this in years!" if i was drunk at the club and the dj played a wale track.

long winded way of saying he's about a 6 to a 6.5 on the out of 10 scale for me.

caveat emptor: i think j. cole could become a talented rapper and ride for his current shit, so take this w/ a grain of salt

edulus said:

Boring

Does anyone anywhere--including the mid-Atlantic--care?

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    edulus said:
    what's soulstrut think about wale? gimmick rapper?

• 'pretty boy swag' is the best rap song of the year.

rape_donkeys said:
    'pretty boy swag' is the best rap song of the year.

Is that what dudes are hating on?

I like that record

faux_rillz said:
    rape_donkeys said:

I like that record

What, exactly, is likeable about it?

• yeah i think people are listening for something in rap that doesn't/shouldn't really exist anymore.

DJ_Enki said:
    faux_rillz said:
    rape_donkeys said:

I like that record

What, exactly, is likeable about it?

Gucci's verse, for starters

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    rape_donkeys said:

I like that record

you are going on record riding for this? (I'd watch it again and think about it before answering.)

rootlesscosmo said:
    faux_rillz said:
    rape_donkeys said:

I like that record

you are going on record riding for this? (I'd watch it again and think about it before answering.)

Never seen the video and not really interested in it.

I like the song, though.

press play and minimize the window. I'm not asking you to opine on the video. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same song. You really ride for this?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    rape_donkeys said:
    yeah i think people are listening for something in rap that doesn't/shouldn't really exist anymore.

I totally agree, but what gets me more than anything is how it's rapped. Dudes could be talking about fucking elephants on the space shuttle as long as the delivery is good. This sounds like some post-rhythm-free-form-whocareswherethesyllablesfall shit and that's worse than any content (or lack thereof) within.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    willie_fugal said:

career shark jumpage.

b/w

Robert Palmer rap. I get it. Club song? Sure. Best rap of the year? Seemingly a stretch or a bad year.
    I'm trying REAL hard to be the shepherd son!

day said:
    rape_donkeys said:
    yeah i think people are listening for something in rap that doesn't/shouldn't really exist anymore.

I totally agree, but what gets me more than anything is how it's rapped. Dudes could be talking about fucking elephants on the space shuttle as long as the delivery is good. This sounds like some post-rhythm-free-form-whocareswherethesyllablesfall shit and that's worse than any content (or lack thereof) within.

Whoever said that Souljah Boy is rapping like wheelchair Stevie from Malcolm in the Middle was dead on.

DJ_Enki said:
    day said:
    rape_donkeys said:

Whoever said that Souljah Boy is rapping like wheelchair Stevie from Malcolm in the Middle was dead on.

this pretty boy terd actually makes crank that sound like a decent single by comparison. the weaksauce beat, the horrible rapping, the "yeah!" chanting, the rudderless dance moves. dude has succeeded in creating a pathetic parody/cliche version of his first single.