Making minimum wage as a musician

E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Friend of mine pointed this out This is far from being news. Anyone who's spent some time trying to find out how an artist can make a living (or get flown around to dj gigs with paid hotel rooms) knows its about doing shows, getting endorsement deals, appearing on tv and other venues to say the least.discuss

Comments

• http://www.musicthinktank.com/blog/information-is-dangerous.html

the discussion in the comments is worth checking.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    good call, ill give this a thorough read lateron

Adding more dry information to the thread (apart from ABBA)

a

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    And so at the end of the day homeboy selling CDs on BART has more game than a band with a blog and iTunes.

It's all about the side business, the amount of hits/dls you get to give you greater exposure allowing you to score bigger deals with companies that have the cheddar

Also it depends how you define these different platforms.
    Are they to broaden the fanbase and gain more exposure
    i.e. something that is now free and was expensive.
    Or is it the way you generate income which is now easier, faster and can reach more people at low costs but gives less profit.

I mean, the thing about the chart that's so misleading is that it posits each one as exclusive, when in-fact if you're producing a CD, going through Tunecore will get you most of the Digital parts.

The present & future = making quality, non-traditional physical products in small runs and then letting the digital side just be what it is - a fairly steady stream that augments your bottom line.

Yeah. thats pretty much what I think of the situation.

Eventually all physical products will be raer pressings acting as form of novelty product not available through the big companies.

Which in return will mean, there will be a wave of young people trying to figure out this entire vinyl and cd collecting thing all over again.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    This chart also seems to be extremely misleading, since it seems to assume in many cases that the artist is on a label taking a large cut. at least here, most musicians are releasing their music on their own--they're the only ones taking a cut.

Now, for example if you take one of the most common rows on that list in terms of what you'd be selling--digital full albums--and add the label & artist cuts together ($7.23) it would come out that the artist would only have to sell 161 albums to make the wage, instead of the 1,229 that this is claiming.

161 albums a month can still be a lot to an independent small musician, but still, it's a drastically different number than 1,229. We're talking only 1,612 individual downloads vs the 12,399 that this chart claims. that's a hell of lot more manageable.

what i don't get though is why the include a label cut on some examples and not on others...? am i missing something here???

also that's one of the most civilized comments section i've ever seen on the internet.

well it makes sense to me, all the physical media sales have to be dealt with by a label or atleast a distributor leaving a dent in the profits.

Itunes seems to be the only online portal to take a label cut into consideration.

and hell yeah those comments are on some real laid back sipping tea grown man shit.

I actually imagine two dudes in the mack sweaters typing while balancing their reading glasses on their noses

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    No love for the "cash-in-hand" gig on that chart either.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah I heard about that Spotify stat the other day - not sure I'm entirely convinced by this.

At the end of the day though, I do a job I pretty much hate and get paid reasonably well for it. If you're going to pursue a career out of the love of the subject then you're in la la land if you go into it for the fortune.

Unless you're an IT geek.

what i don't get though is why the include a label cut on some examples and not on others...? am i missing something here???

Yeah this makes no sense.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Yeah I heard about that Spotify stat the other day - not sure I'm entirely convinced by this.

It does seem extreme but a friend told me about a duo we both know who had a million plays during a month - and received very little for it. Spotify is in its startup phase though. It'll be interesting to see if it catches on in other countries the way it has in Sweden, where now basically everybody listens to music through Spotify almost exclusively (except for nerd/niche market people like yours truly).

Yeah. thats pretty much what I think of the situation.

Eventually all physical products will be raer pressings acting as form of novelty product not available through the big companies.

Which in return will mean, there will be a wave of young people trying to figure out this entire vinyl and cd collecting thing all over again.

Yup, that's what it's come to (trying to find the Nite Jewel LP related).

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

It does seem extreme but a friend told me about a duo we both know who had a million plays during a month - and received very little for it. Spotify is in its startup phase though. It'll be interesting to see if it catches on in other countries the way it has in Sweden, where now basically everybody listens to music through Spotify almost exclusively (except for nerd/niche market people like yours truly).

Yeah Spotify is pretty popular round this neck of the woods but I don't know anyone who pays for it - most people just use it in offices etc and suffer the repetitive adverts that come with the free version.

Yeah Spotify is pretty popular round this neck of the woods but I don't know anyone who pays for it - most people just use it in offices etc and suffer the repetitive adverts that come with the free version.

Pretty much, although I know some android/iphone users who pay for it.

I met a med student who actually had programmed a script to turn down the volume on the adverts without stopping the advert (since Spotify stops if you just turn down the volume of your computer).

That's when I truly realised people are willing to do anything except paying for music in '10.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    well it makes sense to me, all the physical media sales have to be dealt with by a label or atleast a distributor leaving a dent in the profits.

Itunes seems to be the only online portal to take a label cut into consideration.

It seems a little misleading in that aren't the payments when on a label net payments; i.e. they have already advertised, etc. whereas CDBaby etc. is just gross income after CD sales? I.E. That would be a true figure if the artist somehow managed to never travel, never advertise, never do anything but sit in his bedroom and make music - period(?)

Also, what artist depends solely on music sales for their income? Isn't the bulk of artists' incomes from merchandise and ticket sales?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

At the end of the day though, I do a job I pretty much hate and get paid reasonably well for it. If you're going to pursue a career out of the love of the subject then you're in la la land if you go into it for the fortune.

Unless you're an IT geek.

This thread is eerily hitting too close to home. Long story short. I hate IT people and I work in IT. Nepotism dominates the good paying IT jobs. No value in my computer skills now that most graduates are leaving school with Computer degrees. They got the papers, I don't regardless of who can get the job done.

I'm trying to become a musician in a time where musicians don't make money. I realize I gotta be broke, and hustle. I'm broke and hustling and it's frustrating because I could easily make more money with a Mcdonalds job.

All I want to do is record music and tour, and the city I currently live in has no options to get me there. So, I gotta beg somebody in LA for help. Meanwhile everybody else in LA is there for the same reason.

The whole situation sucks, but I'm understanding it much better now.

- spidey

If anyone here can help with investments or legal advice. I'd really appreciate it.

- diego

The author, who I think is being over cynical, tried to show how much you have to sell when youre doing everything yourself vs the classy label way. I think he should have split the itunes/amazon ones into 2 numbers (with label and w/o)

Also, if you are going to look at the different record contract models (i.e. 50-50 deals, recoups etc) or try to hold this graphic to any seveer test you're going nowhere. It's basicly an illustrated approach to a negative opinion.

The discussion in the link paddlissimo posted is def. worth reading if you want to get deeper into it

I'm trying to become a musician in a time where musicians don't make money. I realize I gotta be broke, and hustle. I'm broke and hustling and it's frustrating because I could easily make more money with a Mcdonalds job.

All I want to do is record music and tour, and the city I currently live in has no options to get me there. So, I gotta beg somebody in LA for help. Meanwhile everybody else in LA is there for the same reason.

Take a look at the link I just quoted from earlier in the thread.
    If you're smart and use these sites for what each one is good at you may be able to do just what you want.

Of course this means, dreams of big cars, houses and a designer wardrobe does not come with the package. That being said, if you learn how to get your own business plan working, find multiple streams of income that don't take over all your precious time and get as many friends and gigs in the world as you can, you should be on track.

Needless to say that hustle, talent and a realistic stance towards the business are mandatory. Self Motivation combined with good organization will support this.

Looking at a recent post here I think if you look at what Neal & Gabriel from Daptone have achieved through working their asses off, we all have hope. Keep in mind they have Sharon Jones and some incredible pepole around them though.

A team with a dedication like that is a driving force if maintained

• Needless to say that hustle, talent and a realistic stance towards the business are mandatory. Self Motivation combined with good organization will support this.

Looking at a recent post here I think if you look at what Neal & Gabriel from Daptone have achieved through working their asses off, we all have hope. Keep in mind they have Sharon Jones and some incredible pepole around them though.

Stay frugal, humble, flexible, don't take yourself seriously and wake up everyday ready to work + talent = ok times

there is a music middle class that does just fine.

4YG, you mind plugging your band here?
    Got interested reading some of your poasts in an other thread which is escaping me right now

• I'm one half of People Under The Stairs.

I got caught off guard when we were recently labeled the "most successful independent hip hop duo of all time" but hell, i'll wear that.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Stay frugal, humble, flexible, don't take yourself seriously and wake up everyday ready to work + talent = ok times

Thanks Thes, I'll try to keep that in mind.

- spidey

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Needless to say that hustle, talent and a realistic stance towards the business are mandatory. Self Motivation combined with good organization will support this.

Super real speak. And you take this thread, cross-pollinate it with the Sharon Jones thread and the Scott Storch thread... Yeah Thes, you the man my dude. And take it from me, it's possible to be "successful" in this business as long as you keep perspective as to what "success" is.

don't take yourself too[/b] seriously

this.

How little dude of me, Thes

Didn't you have a differnt name on here last time I checked?
    I'm so out of the loop here ...

I think we msgd briefly on the mpc forum a while ago.
    You deserve that title and yall def put alot of work into it.

Inspiring!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

You deserve that title...

"Brian Peppers?"