Best Places to Live - NY Mag - NRR

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
I gotta get the nyc strutter perspective on this one. Me thinks the great majority of you will find this article chock-full-of-schitt.b/w why does Faux Rillz live in such an undesirable neighborhood.http://nymag.com/realestate/neighborhoods/2010/also...the Deej avatar Nate Silver is behind this article.

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Damn I got kinda dissed too...25th place...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    CATNIP

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    In regards to total score, there is a three point difference between first place Park Slope and twentieth place Williamsburg. So overall, number one is only better than number twenty by a miniscule amount. Survey stats fail.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    doo-doo

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Post deleted by Jonny_Paycheck

Total garbage unworthy of Silver's otherwise valuable talents.

You can't analyze NYC neighborhoods like you do political polls.

He's been here a year. This article reads like it.

They can have Park Slope and the LES. Well, they already do I suppose.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    apparently i'm killing it for both where i live now and where i will live in the near future.

smug new yorker face

CO-OP City is even on the list.

Oh man. I wouldn't live in CoOpCity if you paid me. That's truly the end of the world.

Oh man. I wouldn't live in CoOpCity if you paid me. That's truly the end of the world.

Dogs - that shit is in another dimension.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    It is still somewhat handy for a man such as myself planning to move to the city soon, in that at least it have a convenient guide to the relative 2-bedroom prices for the various neighborhoods.

Turtle Bay

The Cloisters

Spuytin Duvil

Blissville

Soho....seriously. Even if you could afford Soho, anyone w/ any sense wouldnt be moving in there in 2010. Its a fuskin mall at this point.
    Dumb New Money.

I'm thinking Interger City. Or Bluepoint.

Soho....seriously. Even if you could afford Soho, anyone w/ any sense wouldnt be moving in there in 2010. Its a fuskin mall at this point.
    Dumb New Money.

BUT THINK OF THE SHOPPING AND SERVICES!

Hoe Ave.

Dumb New Money.

BUT THINK OF THE SHOPPING AND SERVICES!

Real Ballers are in Tribeca.

It is still somewhat handy for a man such as myself planning to move to the city soon, in that at least it have a convenient guide to the relative 2-bedroom prices for the various neighborhoods.

Nothing that craigslist couldn't help you with, though.

The fault in this article is that the intangibles of NYC go far beyond the variables Silver uses.

For instance, Park Slope is nearly on the same level as Coop City to me, in that you'd have to pay me to live there. But when pressed to tell you why, I wouldn't be able to get very far beyond a simple hatred of the culture there. It's convenient, and pretty, and safe. I hate it, though. And despite your fairer half's warning that I could be shot just walking around in Harlem, I live there willingly with no complaints. Thankfully, Silver doesn't rate it and that'll keep prices low and fools away.

Thankfully, Silver doesn't rate it and that'll keep prices low and fools away.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    For instance, Park Slope is nearly on the same level as Coop City to me, in that you'd have to pay me to live there. But when pressed to tell you why, I wouldn't be able to get very far beyond a simple hatred of the culture there. It's convenient, and pretty, and safe. I hate it, though.

^^^^Hahaha, I remember when I told you I was moving to Park Slope and you looked at me like I had just kicked your dog. I said why the look, and you said "Ehhhh, its like a fake-ass Berkely."

So Jonny, if money wasn't an issue, and you could live in any neighborhood in the city, where would you go?

Batmon, I'm curious as to your answer to that question too.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    park slope + the rub = NIGHTLIFE!

And despite your fairer half's warning that I could be shot just walking around in Harlem, I live there willingly with no complaints. Thankfully, Silver doesn't rate it and that'll keep prices low and fools away.

Just to be clear, I'm the fairer half. As long as she's not checking Soulstrut.

We're still leaning Fort Greene, but I'm still keeping options open. I may end having to kick it uptown anyway ? I'm applying to Columbia Business School among a couple of other spots.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    D.E.L.E.T.E.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    And despite your fairer half's warning that I could be shot just walking around in Harlem, I live there willingly with no complaints. Thankfully, Silver doesn't rate it and that'll keep prices low and fools away.

Just to be clear, I'm the fairer half. As long as she's not checking Soulstrut.

We're still leaning Fort Greene, but I'm still keeping options open. I may end having to kick it uptown anyway ? I'm applying to Columbia Business School among a couple of other spots.

Hey DB,

Good luck with your applications, man!!! Are you looking a masters or doctoral programs? If commuting isn't an issue, perhaps you should consider Rutgers. If you have any questions, hit me on the PMs.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

So Jonny, if money wasn't an issue, and you could live in any neighborhood in the city, where would you go?

Some places I'd live if money weren't an issue, in no particular order:

Tribeca
    Gramercy Park
    West Village
    Mount Morris (in Harlem)
    certain of the more tolerable areas around downtown brooklyn...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I live in the best place in New York.

Good luck with your applications, man!!! Are you looking a masters or doctoral programs? If commuting isn't an issue, perhaps you should consider Rutgers. If you have any questions, hit me on the PMs.

Thanks! It's for an MBA with a Marketing focus. Commuting is an issue, so I'm looking at spots in the city proper (Columbia and NYU), Cornell, which has a program in Manhattan with one week a semester spent in Ithica, and Harvard, which would be nice but the fiance really wants me in NYC ASAP. We'll see how it goes ? I'm taking the GMAT in a week and a half. I'm killing the sample tests, but I'm studying up a couple hours a day anyway. I want to destroy that thing.