UMD police beating caught on video

2»

Comments

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    F*ck The Border Patrol!!!!!!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    the kid approaches the horse and touches it on the nose in what seems to be a playful or friendly gesture but technically,that is an assault. seems pretty open and shut on the law

I don't think the common law definition for assault applies to the Maryland Penal Law statute for Assault as it exists in either the First or Second Degree and I can't find any lesser misdemeanor assault charge using google. For example, some states, New York is one of them, do not have a criminal assault statute that applies to the "offensive touch" without injury. The offensive touch situation falls under the lesser crime of "Menacing." So, yes in a common law bar exam fact pattern, the uninvited touch of the horse is an "assault" on the rider, but under the Maryland Penal Law an assault probably requires some injury.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'll chime in with a hearty F*ck THE POLICE. Pretty much what I do for a living is help to prove them liars in court. Most of the time it's pretty easy, because usually they're idiots.

Why can't police forces recruit more folks with PHD's and Master's Degrees to become street officers??

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Frank,

I'll say, sadly, I became an instant suspect in a robbery for merely asking a police officer in my gated apartment complex (back in racist-ass Milwaukee), "Why are there so many police cars here tonight?" I guess being a concerned citizen and surprised why a gang of squad cars was in a western, suburban area outside the city was the act of a felon. I was completely suited too having just come from teaching an evening class at the business school. I even gave the cop my business card to vouch for me. I was told the robbery suspect "was an articulate Black man like me." I was asked for ID, had my information run, and I was let go. I was pissed as hell, filed a complaint with the Wauwatosa PD, and of course, nothing was done. The end.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I'll chime in with a hearty F*ck THE POLICE. Pretty much what I do for a living is help to prove them liars in court. Most of the time it's pretty easy, because usually they're idiots.

Why can't police forces recruit more folks with PHD's and Master's Degrees to become street officers??

Yeah, really. Or at the very least some people who have a basic understanding of the concept that just because they have a badge and a gun it doesn't mean they rule the world and have the authority to make up their own rules as they go along.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'll chime in with a hearty F*ck THE POLICE. Pretty much what I do for a living is help to prove them liars in court. Most of the time it's pretty easy, because usually they're idiots.

Yeah, really. Or at the very least some people who have a basic understanding of the concept that just because they have a badge and a gun it doesn't mean they rule the world and have the authority to make up their own rules as they go along.

0:39

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Hey Frank,

I'll say, sadly, I became an instant suspect in a robbery for merely asking a police officer in my gated apartment complex (back in racist-ass Milwaukee), "Why are there so many police cars here tonight?" I guess being a concerned citizen and surprised why a gang of squad cars was in a western, suburban area outside the city was the act of a felon. I was completely suited too having just come from teaching an evening class at the business school. I even gave the cop my business card to vouch for me. I was told the robbery suspect "was an articulate Black man like me." I was asked for ID, had my information run, and I was let go. I was pissed as hell, filed a complaint with the Wauwatosa PD, and of course, nothing was done. The end.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I think I remember you posting about this a couple of years ago.
    I was in a similar situation once although it was profiling of an entirely different kind.
    Back when I was around 18 and a punk rocker with spiky blue hair, I was at work one day when my supervisor approached me and said I'd better come with him. In a room that normally was reserved for client meetings, two plaincloth cops were waiting for me, immediately telling me that I should best confess right away to robbing some woman at knife point last Saturday. I was "hell no, what are you talking about?". They continued how they would have eye witnesses who described me and so on. I was lucky that I could name a friend with whom I had been driving to some party and live show in another town on the day in questions, they took me inside their car and drove to my friend with me, interviewed him, accepted the fact that a mistake was made and drove me back to work... I was a bit shocked at how quickly you can find yourself in a situation like this and wondered what would have happened hadn't I had an alibi.
    I wasn't mad at the cops since all here was was probably somebody giving a (willingly?) false description or (willingly?) falsely identified me from someone else's description. No big deal but weird and scary nevertheless.

What shocks me here in this country is at how de-sensibilized people are when it comes to violent cops. Law inforcement is vital to any society but it's essential that people see a cop as one of their own and as a public servant who's job it is to uphold the safety of the tax payer.

What really boggled my mind was the advice to view the police as a hostile gang, a latently violent force that fights for itself and against everybody else. I'm still not sure if this was meant to be serious or sarcastic.

There's also something entirely wrong about how the police force views itself and their role in society.

The innitial reaction to file charges against the victim speaks for itself.
    Even if dude would have been a threat -which clearly he wasn't -there would not have been any need to beat down on him like that, especially after he's already on the ground and not moving. That's just sickening.

Crazy stuff... more power & good luck to Secret Chimp for fighting the good fight!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    This is why I have no problem saying F*ck COPS.

See, you say that now, but I know for a fact that you go home and secretly watch Tivo'd episodes of Reno 911. OWN THAT.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

In all seriousness, I am all for requiring police officers being required to have a 4-year degree. Why? Because, college is the first(and sometimes only) time a lot of people are exposed to and immersed into situations with people of different races, different cultures, from foreign countries, etc...it gives a lot of people their first taste of diversity.

What do we have now? Well, we have a LOT of cops who have never even left their hometowns before they enroll in Academy, they dont even know nor have seen a person of color, a person of a different nationality, a person from a different culture outside of their TV. So, some corn-fed ex-jock becomes a cop without any experience in interacting with other who are not like him...therefore we get cops with incredibly misguided conceptions about people. That can lead to "beating the shit out of people who dont deserve it."

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    This is why I have no problem saying F*ck COPS.

See, you say that now, but I know for a fact that you go home and secretly watch Tivo'd episodes of Reno 911. OWN THAT.

Those are SHERIFFS, not COPS. Totally different.

• This was the lead story on every news channel last night. So far one officer has been identified and suspended, and they'll probably figure out who the other two are within the next couple of days.

One other thing I failed to mention - this kid is the grandson of a judge in Montgomery County, MD.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts

One other thing I failed to mention - this kid is the grandson of a judge in Montgomery County, MD.

..and justice for some.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

To be honest, Police in the Baltimore, D.C. area don't make SHIT money wise. I have 1 friend and 3 cousins that are officers in the B-More area and my brother is a officer in Tocoma Park, right outside of D.C. and none of them make good money. I mean it's livable and they do get good raises but not for what they do. If you have a PHD or a Master's believe me, you ain't gonna settle for the pay these departments are able to offer. They only start you around 27-28K.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

In all seriousness, I am all for requiring police officers being required to have a 4-year degree. Why? Because, college is the first(and sometimes only) time a lot of people are exposed to and immersed into situations with people of different races, different cultures, from foreign countries, etc...it gives a lot of people their first taste of diversity.

What do we have now? Well, we have a LOT of cops who have never even left their hometowns before they enroll in Academy, they dont even know nor have seen a person of color, a person of a different nationality, a person from a different culture outside of their TV. So, some corn-fed ex-jock becomes a cop without any experience in interacting with other who are not like him...therefore we get cops with incredibly misguided conceptions about people. That can lead to "beating the shit out of people who dont deserve it."

I cool with this but why couldnt respecting other folks be taught in High-School? Or at the academy?

Not all colleges are "diverse" multi-culti EXPs.

Why couldnt one be taught this between the ages of 14-18 vs 18- 21.

And my college "friends" are really no less "racist" tham my highschool folks. Shit is just better camoflagued.

Im for college educated Cops, but i dont think that would "improve" things that much.

Cops are soldiers - and enforcing the law has more to do w/ obedience than free-thinking.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    That article about the charges being dropped said that they couldn't immediately identify the officers beating the kid cause of the riot gear. i believe there should be big numbers on riot uniforms for that very reason.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

I cool with this but why couldnt respecting other folks be taught in High-School? Or at the academy?

Most of the time no matter who some people are surrounded by or what they are taught they still hold on the lessons learned or past on from they're families. You can take a man out of the klan but it's hard to take the klan out of the man. Not always the case but most of the time it is.

• Hey look, it's our favorite Fox news anchor:

I notice now that this video which was released to the press cuts off before you see another cop run up to some nearby witnesses and pepper spray them for no reason..

This is getting serious coverage now. Tomorrow the lawyer representing the kid will be live on Good Morning America, The CBS Early Show and CNN.