UMD police beating caught on video

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
This is so fucked. The kid that you see getting brutally beaten in this video hired the law firm I work at to represent him in court. He is literally skipping down the street singing the MD cheer until he turns the corner and encounters masked police officers on horses and armed with batons. This is from during the 'riot' following the MD/Duke game. Here's the kicker: they are charging HIM with assault. You should see the police report, they say that he attacked the officers, causing the horses to freak out, ultimately resulting in his injuries. Check out the cop spraying pepper spray at the witnesses to make them disperse.PG County Police, you are going down hard on this one you bitches.

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Needless brutality, but it almost looks like that dude is running up to police to instigate...his friend is smart enough to stop half-way...

• a few things:

-the kid approaches the horse and touches it on the nose in what seems to be a playful or friendly gesture but technically,that is an assault. seems pretty open and shut on the law but it can't be in the public interest to criminally prosecute such a benign and harmless act that caused no suffering to the horse or anyone whatsoever. what possible societal need would there be in prosecuting this dude?

-were the cops pissed off by his happy go lucky demeanour and failure to pay them respect (read: display the requisite fear)? is it possible that the police were so tightly wound they just lashed out? did they think the kid was so intoxicated and possibly dangerous that he needed to be dealt with forcefully?

-you see those cops thwacking him with batons even after he is down and apparently totally incapacitated. the cops are going to have to come up with a pretty rich story to justify that.

• Naw, this kid is a total goofball, never been in trouble in his life. He turned that corner not even realizing there were cops there, and then understandably froze when he was all of a sudden face to face with two giant horses and a bunch of cops in riot gear beating their shields with batons.

ps. they cracked his head open and broke his arm.

• i definitely have sympathy for him but he sure showed a lot of bad sense by not snapping out of goof-ball mode the moment he realized he was heading into a phalanx of pissed=off police on horseback.

• No question it wasn't smart to dance over in that direction.. but please. They gave him maybe two seconds before 3 of them decided to attack him an unarmed kid with metal batons, and to continue beating him while he's down. There's another video a guy took on his iPhone from behind him, and you can see that he has no idea what he's walking into. He's looking down at the ground, and as soon as he looks up he just freezes like he doesnt even realize what's in front of him.

Part of what's so maddening about it all is the police waited until after all the kids came out of the game to do anything. Instead of making their appearance known preemptively they came out of nowhere in riot gear, beating their shields like the gestapo. If you look at other videos from that night you can see crowds of people totally shocked and surprised by their sudden appearance. People running in fear. They dealt with a much worse riot about 7 years ago, same exact situation. You'd think they would have planned a little better. Not a single cop had a megaphone. These police are known for this shit, and they wanted some action that night.

• 2-3 seconds can be the difference between life and death and one need not be armed to pose a serious threat. it seems pretty clear on that tape that he notices them, yet decides to proceed regardless. even if that is only several steps forward.

that said, i find it pretty much impossible to justify the actions of the police on that video. university students coming out of football games are expected to be goof-balls we demand more of those we entrust to enforce the law.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

i find it pretty much impossible to justify the actions of the police on that video.

you certainly seem to be trying your hardest to do just that.

don't worry, Rockadelic will be here any minute to explain how it's all the kid's fault.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    yeah, not feeling the police.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    -the kid approaches the horse and touches it on the nose in what seems to be a playful or friendly gesture but technically,that is an assault. seems pretty open and shut on the law but it can't be in the public interest to criminally prosecute such a benign and harmless act that caused no suffering to the horse or anyone whatsoever. what possible societal need would there be in prosecuting this dude?

I dunno, I watched the close-up a few times over, but I can't see him actually touching the horse. He has hand out, in what looks like a defensive (maybe not the right word) posture, as the mounted officer appears to be moving toward him. To me, it looks like he got taken down before he even had a chance to touch the horse.

He turned that corner not even realizing there were cops there

This is . especially with all those people pointing their camera phones in the middle of the street....looks like they didn't even turn from that corner..

I could imagine the police on horse, saying something like "you can't go this way" and maybe the kid showed the slightest resistance in saying "why?" and then fatass police officer bumrushed him like he was fighting somebody at a frat party.

Bad looks on both ends.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Back in the early 90's I was trying to sell an extra ticket (at face value) that I had gotten stuck with at a Dire Straits show at the old Capital Center in Landover, MD. This PG County cop on horseback basically backed me into a wall with his horse and threatened me if I didn't go into the venue. Not a nice exchange.

• i find it pretty much impossible to justify the actions of the police on that video.

don't worry, Rockadelic will be here any minute to explain how it's all the kid's fault.

let me be clear: i think it is completely abhorrent and criminal how the police on that video acted. full stop.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    ... and one need not be armed to pose a serious threat.

A serious threat to cops in riot gear?

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Dont Feed The Animals

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Yeahh, head crack, head crack

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    This is why I have no problem saying F*ck COPS.

Maybe I should rethink partying in the streets? Maybe?

Do i have to flip a car over?

Does smashing Mr.Hooper's window prove anything?

Was this a championship?

F*ck It im gonna party my ass off!!!!!!WHOOOOOoooooo!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

Do I have to beat these kids heads in?

Dont we have non-lethal weapons in 2010?

This is why I have no problem saying F*ck COPS.

"Hello 911, yeah - there's been a burglary!"

"Nah - dont send nobody out here - im takin off from work to find them myself!"

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

Like Fishmongerfunk said, if you're a professional trying to protect and serve the community, you don't go beating an idiot kid's skull in with a baton. Even if you're outnumbered, which I guess police usually are.

At the same time, maybe these videos will enlighten people that you don't instigate police by prancing around them like fairies or flashing photographs of them at every corner. Treat 'em like a gang, in my opinion, especially when they're on alert like that. I mean would u skip towards a couple gang members if they looked like they meant business? That's essentially what's happening here.

• No.

First of all, I'm telling you- the kid came from around the corner. I've seen the entire video, in high definition on a big screen. You can hear his friend behind him in total surprise yell "woah, come back! come back!" They had no idea there was a riot squad around the corner.

Secondly, that kid didnt come within 6 feet of that horse. The cops on the horses approached him.

Third, nothing even happened. The kid was just standing there. He was probably a little drunk, so maybe he was slow to react. But these guys had no intention of reasoning or even talking to him before deciding to beat the crap out of him.

All three of those cops should get locked up. I just found out that the FBI is investigating this. In case you're not familiar with the PG Police, up until a year and a half ago or so the entire force was under DOJ supervision due to excessive use of force and corruption.

I'll chime in with a hearty F*ck THE POLICE. Pretty much what I do for a living is help to prove them liars in court. Most of the time it's pretty easy, because usually they're idiots.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

i find it pretty much impossible to justify the actions of the police on that video.

You're smarter than that dude....I've always supported the prosecution and just punishment of any scumbag Cop that breaks the law.

I've defended the great majority of good cops who get stereotyped and thrown into the giant "F*ck The Police" box and will continue to do so.

I have no problem with saying "F*ck THESE Police".

All three of those cops should get locked up. I just found out that the FBI is investigating this. In case you're not familiar with the PG Police, up until a year and a half ago or so the entire force was under DOJ supervision due to excessive use of force and corruption.

I'll chime in with a hearty F*ck THE POLICE. Pretty much what I do for a living is help to prove them liars in court. Most of the time it's pretty easy, because usually they're idiots.

How long of a sentence is it? Looks like they got plenty of evidence on the cops in this clip.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

You're smarter than that dude....I've always supported the prosecution and just punishment of any scumbag Cop that breaks the law.

I've defended the great majority of good cops who get stereotyped and thrown into the giant "F*ck The Police" box and will continue to do so.

For f*cking real. This is a no brainer. The horse very clearly approaches him. Even if he said something stupid, force would not be allowed unless he posed a physical threat. He will get paid and paid very well for his troubles.

F*ck The Court Officers Too!!!!!

F*ck The Crossing Guards!!!!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

A general "F*ck the police" attitude doesn't help anybody but the fact that scenes like these seem to repeat themselves with frightening regularity shows that this is more than a problem with a few bad apples.

Yuichi saying

At the same time, maybe these videos will enlighten people that you don't instigate police by prancing around them like fairies or flashing photographs of them at every corner. Treat 'em like a gang, in my opinion, especially when they're on alert like that. I mean would u skip towards a couple gang members if they looked like they meant business? That's essentially what's happening here.

Unless this was said in a sarcastic way... damn, you're saying you should better be prepared to just run from the police that gets paid to protect and to serve you? You should be afraid to take pictures of them? You blame people for not running away from them and for filming or taking photographs?

There is something very wrong here. I've only encountered a similar attitude of the police and towards the police in corrupted third world countries.

F*ck The Mounties!!!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts