NYT awards summer jam crown to Mariah Carey

13»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Hey Phonics,

Step the fuck back for a sec. My point was that I can roll with the fact that a ballad can be a summer jam. I wasn't endorsing Carey's song as a song since I haven't heard it. But I was responding to Ayres point that a "summer jam" is not necessarily a rump-shaking, ear-shattering 100 BPM+ club rocker.

And shit, if Carey's song is getting almost 80% more spins than "Hollaback Girl," clearly someone is doing something right. How is "Go" charting?

What Oliver is trying to say, Young K-Solo, is that you're soft. Extremely soft. And probably sweet. Like cotton candy that's been molded into the shape of a kufi-wearing girly-man.

• This summer belonged to "Jamrock" and "Hollaback Girl".

Mariah and Rhianna's Top-40 success notwithstanding, those two are the legit contenders.

This summer belonged to "Jamrock" and "Hollaback Girl".

Mariah and Rhianna's Top-40 success notwithstanding, those two are the legit contenders.

We're not talking about summer jams anymore.

We're talking about the softness of Young Phonics.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hey Phonics,

Step the fuck back for a sec. My point was that I can roll with the fact that a ballad can be a summer jam. I wasn't endorsing Carey's song as a song since I haven't heard it. But I was responding to Ayres point that a "summer jam" is not necessarily a rump-shaking, ear-shattering 100 BPM+ club rocker.

And shit, if Carey's song is getting almost 80% more spins than "Hollaback Girl," clearly someone is doing something right. How is "Go" charting?

What Oliver is trying to say, Young K-Solo, is that you're soft. Extremely soft. And probably sweet. Like cotton candy that's been molded into the shape of a kufi-wearing girly-man.

So I just DLed Carey to see what the hype is about. And frankly, I don't get why this, of all ballads, would blow up but I'm disconnected. I can say this much, I'd much rather be forced to listen to all three minutes of this than just the opening chorus of "Go."

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Like cotton candy that's been molded into the shape of a kufi-wearing girly-man.

and we have a winner!

• And shit, if Carey's song is getting almost 80% more spins than "Hollaback Girl," clearly someone is doing something right. How is "Go" charting?

OOOOOOOOOOH! AND I HEARD SHE'S GOT MORE MONEY THAN COMMON x's 10!

Since Pimpin' 'Naldo is on vacation.

THE MORE SPINS=BETTER THE SONG

I really don't care to argue about Mariah Carey anymroe dudes. I'll see you in the 30 greatest drum break.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Ah, anti-populists. You gotta love it.

OOOOOOOOOOH! AND I HEARD SHE'S GOT MORE MONEY THAN COMMON x's 10!

Since Pimpin' 'Naldo is on vacation.

THE MORE SPINS=BETTER THE SONG

I really don't care to argue about Mariah Carey anymroe dudes. I'll see you in the 30 greatest drum break.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I like Remy Ma's "Whateva," too! Does that make me non-soft-batch?

Anyway, I think Swizz Beats is an idiot-savante. He, more than any other producer i can think of, has the "Whoa, Swizz made this?" moment.

I still stand by the fact that "We Belong Together" is hard in its softness. Millions of other Americans have seen the light!

As for "Where Ya Been"? That isn't even doing shit on Philly radio. Pretty sad because Free is killing that shit. I don't really feel like it's gotten a big push, though. Dudes like Cosmic Kev will rock it on his mix show and shit, but that's about it. Dropping it in the clubs does nothing unless it's surrounded by popular shit people have heard of.

I mostly just wonder how Free feels about Raual Butler getting traded.

-e

• I like Remy Ma's "Whateva," too! Does that make me non-soft-batch?

-e

That shit is trash.

PUT YOUR RIGHT HAND UP PUT YOUR LEFT HAND UP PUT YOUR RIGHT HAND UP PUT YOUR LEFT HAND UP

I want it to say "DO THE HOKEY POKEY AND YOU TURN YOURSELF AROUND" after that

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    most of these SWIZZ BEATZ BANGERZZZ are good for about three spins

and cassidy just makes me angry...

I think "The Hokey Pokey" could make a comeback with the right beat.

PRODUCER CHALLENGE!

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    He, more than any other producer i can think of, has the "Whoa, Swizz made this?" moment.

Did I bite this comment from someone on pitchfork? I feel like I read it recently and inadvertently quoted (Free Archaic!) it but I might've just dreamt it.

-e

I like Remy Ma's "Whateva," too!

-e

That shit is trash.

Emynd's us of an exclamation mark to announce that one:

(STRAIGHT EMBARASSING)

Seriously, I don't know how anybody could be feeling this or any other record with Remy on it.

Seriously, I don't know how anybody could be feeling this or any other record with Remy on it.

• anti-populists.

WHATEVA, WHATEVA, WHATEVA

Plaese, definetly not one of them "OOOH !DOWN WITH CORPORATE RADIO!". I enjoy all the mainstream hip-hop music as well.

• anti-populists.

WHATEVA, WHATEVA, WHATEVA

Plaese, definetly not one of them "OOOH !DOWN WITH CORPORATE RADIO!". I enjoy all the mainstream hip-hop music as well.

On the count of three, everybody run back to your fantasy

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Jamrock and Santanas town part 2 are MY summer jams. That and jeezy's whole album. They get the most spins in my car so thats that.

Im not bumping mariah carey ballads no matter who's cosigning the shit.

ANd Ive already expressed my opinion on that john mayer trash.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Whateva
    Whateva
    Whateva
    Whateva
    Whateva
    Whateva
    Whateva
    Whateva
    Whateva
    Whateva
    Whateva