NYT awards summer jam crown to Mariah Carey

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    ps--in case you're getting out of touch with your roots...

there's always Bama Camp.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    apropos of NYCentrism, Swizz Beats is on a fucking rampage right now

• apropos of NYCentrism, Swizz Beats is on a fucking rampage right now

Tell me you're not referring to DMX "Pump Ya Fist."

• if slow, r&b songs can get summer jam status, then my vote goes to 112's "u already know".

that being said...what's the deal with the x-rated lyrics?

"U know just how I like it to see it...(U know just how i like to see it)
    U know just how i like to beat it... U ALREADY KNOW
    U know I like 2 go down and eat it... I love it when u go down
    And u Know I wont stop until you get it.... U ALREADY KNOW"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    if slow, r&b songs can get summer jam status, then my vote goes to 112's "u already know".

that being said...what's the deal with the x-rated lyrics?

Jay's "Once again it's on!" ad libs behind Foxxy's verse = wilde suspect

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    when Ms. Carey teamed up with Ol' Dirty Bastard, of the Wu-Tang Clan, for the 1995 hit "Honey," it was a surprise, and a smash. [/i]

some good research.

• when Ms. Carey teamed up with Ol' Dirty Bastard, of the Wu-Tang Clan, for the 1995 hit "Honey," it was a surprise, and a smash. [/i]

some good research.

ha! what a fool

when Ms. Carey teamed up with Ol' Dirty Bastard, of the Wu-Tang Clan, for the 1995 hit "Honey," it was a surprise, and a smash. [/i]

some good research.

ha! what a fool

How embarassing to have confused one Mariah smash with another. He should kill himself.

• when Ms. Carey teamed up with Ol' Dirty Bastard, of the Wu-Tang Clan, for the 1995 hit "Honey," it was a surprise, and a smash. [/i]

some good research.

ha! what a fool

How embarassing to have confused one Mariah smash with another. He should kill himself.

ooh uh-uh. dogg, first off the track w/odb is called fantasy off the platinum[/b] selling "music box" lp. now, mind you, this is still well within the realm of mariah's "innocent yet sexy" vibe. i believe she was still married to tommy mottola or whatever fat ugly fuck she was fucking for album sales.

whereas "honey" was the turning point from which mariah emerged from her "cocoon" to become the beautiful fake tittied slutty stank ho-bitch butterfly we all know and love today. 2 very distinct phases in her career, mr. rillz, esq.

now allow me to partake in the new crop of graemlins...

::sonned::

some good research.

ha! what a fool

What's really embarassing is the blatant dick riding that is going on in this thread. I can't even believe some folks are like "yeah son! MARIAH CAREY YO!". O-Dub's cheerleading for it without even hearing the actual song.

what happend to dudes?

In truth though, there really isn't a clear SUMMER JAM. A lot of good contenders but no real winners.

some good research.

ha! what a fool

ooh uh-uh. dogg, first off the track w/odb is called fantasy off the platinum[/b] selling "music box" lp. now, mind you, this is still well within the realm of mariah's "innocent yet sexy" vibe. i believe she was still married to tommy mottola or whatever fat ugly fuck she was fucking for album sales.

whereas "honey" was the turning point from which mariah emerged from her "cocoon" to become the beautiful fake tittied slutty stank ho-bitch butterfly we all know and love today. 2 very distinct phases in her career, mr. rillz, esq.

now allow me to partake in the new crop of graemlins...

Okay, okay... this was actually a slip-up that even I noticed, since "Fantasy" is the only Mariah cut that I've ever liked.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    when Ms. Carey teamed up with Ol' Dirty Bastard, of the Wu-Tang Clan, for the 1981 hit "Genius of Love," it was a surprise, and a smash. [/i]

some good research.

New York Times has always been known for their fact checking

some good research.

ha! what a fool

What's really embarassing is the blatant dick riding that is going on in this thread. I can't even believe some folks are like "yeah son! MARIAH CAREY YO!". O-Dub's cheerleading for it without even hearing the actual song.

what happend to dudes?

Ha!

Dudes are softbatch!

They need to man up and bump that "Go"!

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

I'm referring to Memphis Bleek "Like That," Remy Martin "Whateva," Cassidy "B-Boy Stance," and TI "Bring Em Out" - all killing it in the club.

some good research.

ha! what a fool

what happend to dudes?

In truth though, there really isn't a clear SUMMER JAM. A lot of good contenders but no real winners.

excuse me but i "asked permission" to ride her dick and didnt just "jump on" this time

some good research.

ha! what a fool

what happend to dudes?

Ha!

Dudes are softbatch!

not even man. come up off of that. How can O-Dub completely right off Common (on grounds of it being "soft") but big up a Mariah Carey track without hearing it?

Or Emyd's couple of posts (STRAIGHT EMBARASSING)

What about that Jaheim and Cam? Still Tippin'? SO Icey? 50?

I'm still shook that dudes are even having this conversation.

I'm referring to Memphis Bleek "Like That," Remy Martin "Whateva," Cassidy "B-Boy Stance," and TI "Bring Em Out" - all killing it in the club.

some good research.

ha! what a fool

what happend to dudes?

Ha!

Dudes are softbatch!

not even man. come up off of that. How can O-Dub completely right off Common (on grounds of it being "soft") but big up a Mariah Carey track without hearing it?

Or Emyd's couple of posts (STRAIGHT EMBARASSING)

I'm still shook that dudes are even having this conversation.

I fully endorse this post to the extent that I can do so without supporting all of the actual ideas contained therein.

Then we're on the same page, Holmes. Speaking of jams, is Freeway's "Where You Been" gettin' any spins on the East Coast? It's on some mix shows here, but it hasn't taken off yet. I love that shit. (And yeah, it's a Storch, not a Swizzy)

what happend to dudes?

Ha!

Dudes are softbatch!

They need to man up and bump that Omarion "Touch"![/b]

• straight up.

and all y'all wipe your mouths on the way out.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Beyond the Honey/Fantasy thing, the research is continually suspect:

and singing along to Babyface ("Two Occasions").

• straight up.

and all y'all wipe your mouths on the way out.

SOMEONE, QUICK! MAKE A VEGGIE-FRIENDLY SANDWICH GRAEMLIN!

Then we're on the same page, Holmes. Speaking of jams, is Freeway's "Where You Been" gettin' any spins on the East Coast? It's on some mix shows here, but it hasn't taken off yet. I love that shit. (And yeah, it's a Storch, not a Swizzy)

what happend to dudes?

Ha!

Dudes are softbatch!

They need to man up and bump that Omarion "Touch"![/b]

"YO! DUDE THAT OMARION SHIT IS BABY SOFT! IT'S ALL ABOUT THAT MARIAH PIFF, SON! ALL DAY AYE'DAY!"

i'm out, i have a suit to cop.

• Beyond the Honey/Fantasy thing, the research is continually suspect:

and singing along to Babyface ("Two Occasions").

actually, the deele was a band consisting of la reid and babyface in the early 80s, i think.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

This song was getting played a few months back in philly on the radio and in baltimore a bit, but that's all I heard of it. the lyrics are cool, but the beat is a little too zamfir for me

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

Young P - apropos of NYCentrism[/b] Memphis Bleek "Like That," Remy Martin "Whateva," Cassidy "B-Boy Stance," and TI "Bring Em Out" are all killing it in the club where I live - in NYC[/b].

Ross - that Freeway isn't really doing anything here. I don't know about Philly. Maybe it isn't getting a big push yet.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

actually, the deele was a band consisting of la reid and babyface in the early 80s, i think.

I need to read up on my Babyface read-ups...funny, just cause I only know the Deele song from when it was a hit...it was the theme at my girlfriend's prom in 1988! I didn't know enough about Babyface to know he was from there, I just always liked that jam cause I made out with my girlfriend on the dance floor of Madison Park High to it...did Babyface re-make it as a solo joint, too?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hey Phonics,

Step the fuck back for a sec. My point was that I can roll with the fact that a ballad can be a summer jam. I wasn't endorsing Carey's song as a song since I haven't heard it. But I was responding to Ayres point that a "summer jam" is not necessarily a rump-shaking, ear-shattering 100 BPM+ club rocker.

And shit, if Carey's song is getting almost 80% more spins than "Hollaback Girl," clearly someone is doing something right. How is "Go" charting?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Rendered old news after Young Jeezy's "And Then What"?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

And shit, if Carey's song is getting almost 80% more spins than "Hollaback Girl," clearly someone is doing something right. How is "Go" charting?

haha, true story

I was responding to Ayres point that a "summer jam" is not necessarily a rump-shaking, ear-shattering 100 BPM+ club rocker.

that was Emynd. my point was:

i think it's time to retire the "summer jam." the distinction has outgrown the actual music - in other words the bar is set too high and no single jam is going to reach that mythic "single best song of the summer that everyone agrees on."

know what I mean?