do y'all talk to your exes - revisited

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
Had an "interesting" meeting with an old g.f. this past weekend.She was painting a photo of a local alderman at a space that was open to the public. I hadn't seen her in a few months, so she said it was alright if I came down and we hung out. (She's done that with me, so I guess it's alright, right?)As we were leaving, Ms. Ex was packing up. Both me and the alderman offered to carry her stuff almost simultaneously. Then, she's putting on her coat, I'm waiting for her, and Alderman is still standing there like he's waiting for something. Even asks her, "sooo...whatcha doin' tonight?"Then the four of us leave the space. It is maybe 5:30 in the afternoon. Alderman and the gallery owner are set to go one way for drinks, me and the ex are about to go another for coffee.Alderman seems disappointed that we (read: she) aren't going with them to this other bar. And even though we're not together anymore, I'm really wishing he'd get the F*ck out of the conversation - I came specifically to hang with her. Haven't seen her in a while.It almost looks like he's hitting on her, but is too shy to close the deal. And he probably would have been more up front about it, if I weren't there, so I guess I did some pretty effective cockblocking. Thank God, they went their way and we went ours, which is a good thing; it'd be some scary shit if we were both vying for her attention. Interestingly enough, the ex doesn't pick up on this right away. She just keeps muttering how "awkward" that exchange was.At one point, she wonders aloud: "does he like me?"I make a face.She then says, "well, you being a guy, I figured you might pick up on these things."Me being her former boyfriend (and currently single), I wasn't going to say shit. If there is an attraction, I won't stop them, but I don't want to be the one who brought them together. That'd be like getting shot with my own gun. And obviously I am in no position to start marking territory, since I'd already Been There and Done That.She wraps it up by saying, with finality, "I'm not worried about it."I don't know why this is consuming my thoughts. We broke up three years ago. Maybe it's because I'm not seeing anyone now? But we still hang out every so often, and there is still a bit of flirting when we get together. So, I don't blame Alderman for possibly wanting a little taste. That was me with her three years ago. But when he asked her what she was doing that night, for a MINUTE I saw red. For all I know, they might be making plans right now. I'm sure as hell not going to ask her. But it's like I always say...Seeing your ex with a new lover is like seeing your parents f*cking. You know it happens, you just don't want to watch it.(To be fair, she's seen me out with at least one girl since we broke up, but I don't think I'd want to see the shoe on the other foot. Unless I was out with a ladyfriend myself.)Sorry to bore y'all with this long, irrevelant post. I normally don't get this personal on Soul Strut - I know I should just let it slide and just be cool like Big Stacks - but I was rereading the "Do Y'all Talk To Your Exes" thread from a while back, and rather than keep stewing over it, thought I'd just put it out there once and for all, get it off my chest for the sheer hell of it.And yes, I wrote this while stone cold sober!

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    sounds like you still hold some feelings for this girl.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    sounds like you still hold some feelings for this girl.

my feelings are pretty mixed, actually. when i met her, she was going through a rough period in her life, and she was always apologizing for the fact that I walked in her life at such a bad time.

when we broke up, she was really stressed out, to the point where she was lashing out at all of her friends. me being her guy, I got quite a bit of that myself. so one morning she sez, "I can't do this anymore! I don't even see why you're still here!" so I walked out without saying goodbye or even looking back. at the time, i was pissed at her and needed the break.

long story short, we made up and apologized later. she's doing incredibly well these days, and even though we are on a platonic level now, every now and then she'll revert to her old ways: resting her feet in my lap, sampling food from my plate, snuggling up to me when she's tired, etc. And I keep wondering...if I had met her a year later than I had, would we have been together longer?

and that's why Mr. Alderman bothered me so.

ive considered trying to get together w/her again, with mushy feelings intact, but im not sure how it would go over. once when she was sick, i offered to bring over anything she may have needed. she then said: "you know we're not DATING, right?"

Cold busted. but that was maybe three months after the breakup. dont know how it would play these days.

ok, soulstrut, call for help:
    should i try to get her back, or should i just let it rest?[/b]

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    normally i would say never go back, but these sound like some extenuating circumstances, and its obvious that there is still some sort of feelings. You need to work out if it is a comfort thing for you or do you really feel that the relationship could have worked out under different conditions though.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    dude. she's counting on you feeling like this.

SHE BROKE UP WITH YOU!! you can still be friends but dont forget: she played herself. put some bass in your voice.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I keep in touch with a few of them regularly. There are a few more whose tracks have been swept away by the winds of time and two that don't want anything to do with me. I have no problem with any of my exes, though. Not even the ones who cheated on me, dumped me and/or broke my heart. I have a softer spot for those whose heart I broke, especially the good ones who didn't deserve to be hurt. Damn guilt kills me. Basically, if I ever said "I love you," then I still do. I wish them all well and if I could follow up and keep tabs on all of 'em, I most definitely would. It takes a lot for me to fall in love so they obviously made an impact on my life and helped shape who I am.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

SHE BROKE UP WITH YOU!! you can still be friends but dont forget: she played herself. put some bass in your voice.
    this, don't go back, you still have feelings & she possibly does too, but she put an end to that by acting like a b*tch & giving you the flick. You don't need a fairweather girl.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

You're absolutely right, but easier said than done.

Myself, I NEVER talk to my exes. It's all or nothing for me...

Don't wanna throw out some irresponsible advice, but if that were me, I'd just get back with her and go from there. If you get your heart crushed again, then you know it's time to move on!

Really though, do what feels right for you. Listen to your instincts and brain. Not somebody else's nonsense (aka advice/experiences).

this, don't go back, you still have feelings & she possibly does too, but she put an end to that by acting like a b*tch & giving you the flick. You don't need a fairweather girl.

I've generally been pretty good at remaining cool since we split. She'll dance and flirt and wear her boots 'cause she knows I like 'em, and I can even remember one time (post-breakup) when she came to my DJ gig, was hanging all over me, and then whispered: "am I cramping your style?" If she's feeling flirty, then I roll with it without asking too many questions.

However...more than once people have asked, "are you guys dating again?" when we're out. And when I'm alone with my thoughts, like right now, there's a lot of "What If?" going on...should I go back, etc. And that's when Mr. Pride steps in and tells me to just let it rest (specially since we're not sleeping with each other anymore). But after this weekend, and the incident with the alderman guy, I've been seriously rethinking my position.

You know it's some cold shit if a girl's got you almost apologizing when you did nothing wrong! (LOL)

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

To each his own. My Ex became one of my best friends. I even don't have a problem seeing her with her new boy. He is a cool dude. I am glad that she is happy. But I guess that only happened because me and her were friends before we got together. You can never plan these things. But if there are still feelings involved, either stay away as much as possible or go for it again. But I would never say NEVER like this anymore....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

To each his own. My Ex became one of my best friends. I even don't have a problem seeing her with her new boy. He is a cool dude. I am glad that she is happy. But I guess that only happened because me and her were friends before we got together. You can never plan these things. But if there are still feelings involved, either stay away as much as possible or go for it again. But I would never say NEVER like this anymore....

For me, i think it's "all or nothing" cuz I get attached easily. (Most def not an element of hip-hop/rap).

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts

In my experiences, it just creates baggage for the next relationship.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    There isn't really a standard set of rules. An ex can often end up feeling more like a sister, particularly if you dated when you were very young. In other cases, it doesn't work at all and even the sight of each other will make you feel physically ill.

My general interpretation of the lad's post that kicked this off is, perhaps you should go for the sequel. Could be less engaging than the first time, but at least you'll get it off your mind and know for sure that it REALLY doesn't work.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

In my experiences, it just creates baggage for the next relationship.

Hey I'm with you on this. My ex after about 10 momths leaves a comment on my facebook page on how "I'm looking good".My fault she is still on my friends list. The new lady I'm with saw it and now the jealous thoughts, worries all that B.S. has started.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Yeah, having said that, all my past relationships have ended in acrimony. What can I say? That's how us Scorpios roll.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    No offence meant of course pickwick but the flirting etc sounds to me like she's using you as a "safe bet" that is there while she's single rather than that she's doing her best to win you back as her boyfriend. Nothing wrong with taking an emotional crutch role with someone you like but I don't read any signs that there's more there than that.

Having said that, Beatnick's suggestion that:

at least you'll get it off your mind and know for sure that it REALLY doesn't work

can't be argued with. Just depends whether you want to push your relationship back into that area.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the thing with exes (i met a similar one after years of ignoring)
    is that while in the relationship you live through a lot of the ''lashing out'' and stay because of your feelings
    now that you've freed yourself from that don't go back
    if she was right for you you would have been together though tough times as well

i reconnected with the ex and it proved to be a worst situation than the first time

with fianc?e now we went to hell and back and still love each other very much

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    ...just watch that awesome zro youtube clip and all your questions will be answered....

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Let it rest. Not knowing you, I would ask, did you see red and is she and the incident on your mind because you want to be with her and miss her or because you were being territorial?
    Stuff like wearing what you like and all the other flirty, cuddly stuff is games given the circumstances. I'll tell you that as a woman and as someone who is friends will all my ex-es. I would never act like that unless I was trying to get back and then I would couple all that shit with some direct words. I agree with Senior's "safe bet" comment and also add that she's trying to make sure she's got something in the bank for a rainy day.

Are you asking "what if?" emotionally or situationally?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Major

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Uh oh, Pickwick, you cockblock an alderman and you are going to get served... by Dick Daley himself! This sounds like it could a torn-from-the-headlines Timmy Digalot story.

Seriously, though, I used to classify this sort of post-relationship flirtation as "good drama" with a caveat -- you already got burned, so as long as you are careful enough to not get too emotionally invested again, there's nothing wrong with trying to touch that flame. It's a fine line to walk but it might be worth it.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Sounds to me like she is using you to boost her ego, because she knows you have feelings and won't respond negatively to her flirting. To her it's harmless and makes her feel good, but if it's making you feel bad or awkward you need to put an end to it. You deserve better and she doesn't deserve your your honest effort if it's only benefiting her. Why make yourself feel bad for the sake of someone who done you wrong already?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Let it rest. Not knowing you, I would ask, did you see red and is she and the incident on your mind because you want to be with her and miss her or because you were being territorial?

To be honest...I'd say a little bit of both. Add to that the fact that I'm not seeing anyone at the moment, and you can see why I'm so damn nostalgic. Shit's like Kryptonite.

I remember once, after the breakup I was an an outdoor festival with a girl I was seeing, and she came over and said hi, introducing herself to my new friend.

New Girl later told me she couldn't believe that was my ex because she appeared to like me too much.

In the meantime, Ms. Ex asked me, "so, who's the new girl?"

I responded, "I don't discuss my currents with my exes."

She laughed and said "aw, come on, we're friends!"

So, I told her about New Girl, she told me about New Boy, all while walking her home from that same event (New Girl had to leave early). I know my ego should have been pleased that she saw me with a new lady (and it was). But, I didn't want her thinking she could come around my DJ gig with her new dude (I don't think they're together now - this was two years ago).

So, to answer your question:

Are you asking "what if?" emotionally or situationally?

I'd say both.

In my mind, I keep wondering if she's a nicer person now that her tough times of a few years ago are done.

Yet, on the other hand, that problem might come back in a different package and we might be angry at each other again, with her snapping at everybody. I wouldn't want to see her OG problem get "reissued" with a different cover.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Lots of lovely ladies out there, PW33. No need to wonder about ex-es. Find some new trouble.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Leave them exes be. Especially if you are trying to meet a new girl. And also leave all the booty calls and friends with benefits and former chicks you messed with here and there alone. They get in the way of meeting a new lady who you really could get into.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I remained friendly with all my exes. But I also never had any ugly break-ups. Emotional ones yes but no ugly ones. Generally I don't see much reason to remain too close to each other though unless you're seriously thinking about giving it another try.

Just what I'm sensing from what you wrote, how you wrote it and from the further details you provided in your later posts, I get the sense that:

-You still harbor romantic feelings towards her.

-She's totally aware of that.

-She wanted you to be there for some kind of purpose, most likely playing a role in whatever game she had/has in mind for the Alderman.

I further get the impression that your ex has a pretty calculating personality, is highly manipulative and camouflages this with the usual "personal problems, emotional baggage, scarred from previous relationships" blahblah.

Whenever a girl tells you something like "well, you being a guy, I figured you might pick up on these things." you should be aware that this very clearly translates to "son, I'm playing you like a fiddle".

My advice would be to stay clear at all cost.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The good ones stay friends. Even some the 'bad' ones.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Whenever a girl tells you something like "well, you being a guy, I figured you might pick up on these things." you should be aware that this very clearly translates to "son, I'm playing you like a fiddle".

My advice would be to stay clear at all cost.

Yes

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    im talkin to my HS ex right now