Superfly Records

13»

Comments

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    One of the main reasons for northern Latin music (from USA, Porto Rico, Mexico, etc) never had any influence on brazilian music it's because it never was played on radio and tv here, thus there wasn't any market for it, consequently "nobody" looked for it nor wanted to play it.
    It's even hard to find brazilian releases of that Latin music.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

The African influence on Brasilian music comes from a completely different part of Africa (surprise! Africa is not one big country!) and that physically the only real border where there is anything we could call a city is the one with Argentina (and subsequently Uruguay, which was basically created as a buffer zone so that Brasil and Argentina would stop fighting bloody wars. Which is to say that there really is no real border with any of these afro-latin-salsa" countries. Those borders you see on maps...the surrounding areas are really isolted on the Brasilian side.

I don't have too much to add, but that I was down in the south (POA) and the difference between there and what I imagined Brasil to be (based on personal reports, music, film, etc from Rio and Sao Paolo and Bahia and so on) was significant. And when I dug deeper into the connections with not only Argentina and Uruguay but also non-Portugal Europe... suffice to say I was just schooled on the big-ness and diversity of Brasil in a way that people don't really talk about (eg, not the black-white-mestizo axis).

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I don't have too much to add, but that I was down in the south (POA) and the difference between there and what I imagined Brasil to be (based on personal reports, music, film, etc from Rio and Sao Paolo and Bahia and so on) was significant. And when I dug deeper into the connections with not only Argentina and Uruguay but also non-Portugal Europe... suffice to say I was just schooled on the big-ness and diversity of Brasil in a way that people don't really talk about (eg, not the black-white-mestizo axis).

Brazilian southern states (Parana, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul) were colonized/populated mainly by people from Europe (Germany, Italy, Poland and other countries).
    So, the southern population and their culture is totally different from the rest of brazilian states, that were populated mainly by people from Portugal, African countries, Japan, and in a lower scale from Germany, France, Spain, Holland and other countries.