dudes that take their dates to record stores

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yea, but I traded it for an autographed Sade. For me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Yea, but I traded it for an autographed Sade. For me.

I cook Ital......

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I've never heard any of Dylan's instrumentals.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Dudes think you're joking. That "I prefer instrumental Dylan" shit was a real quote.

I read that, thought "Naaaahhhh....", and carried on reading the thread. That's right up there with the a&r guy who called a friend of mine after a contact number for Nick Drake because he thought he'd make a good guest vocalist for Basement Jaxx.

Shoulda told him to call up Townes Van Zandt and Baby Huey.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I saw this exact scenario the other day in a record shop, but to make matters worse, they were both heavily coked up.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

they're HOT FIYAH

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I saw this exact scenario the other day in a record shop, but to make matters worse, they were both heavily coked up.

took a blood sample?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Now that I think about it, the B-side of Dylan's "Knocking On Heaven's Door" was a dire bluegrass instrumental ("Turkey Chase") so there might be some truth to that.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Ok guys nobody said girls don't like records.

Lots of girls come into the shop and buy records, sometimes even with their boyfriends.

What Tom is talking about is dudes who take their first date disinterested chick in, trying to floss their knowledge and coolness and they don't really know shit about shit.

Not to mention the fact that if your record collectro nerdism is all you have in your arsenal to impress a first date, you're on the road to FAIL...

I have taken girls to record stores, but only once we dated a while and mainly so they knew where to go for any bday/xmas presents (which has worked a few times).

As for first dates...u never taken them to a record store cus your better off pulling the 'want to come back to my place and check out my record collection' card

Plus I always figutred if I go to store with a first date and I see a dope record I want, Im blowing all my date money on it and walking home...the date is now officially over.

*Record nerd admission- I have pulled the "I got a copy of that at home" line a few times...and you always get the 'like I give a F*ck' look back from your girl.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    On the other hand, if some dude is hovering and looking over my shoulder all "Yo, go back one, what was that record?" is this merely breach of digging etiquette or is he trying to hit on me?

Any of you guys ever try this approach?

I still get asked if I'm buying records for someone - it happened in two spots just his past week in NYC...mind-boggling for this particular city in this particular century if you ask me.

Maybe they are trying to not-so-suavely ask if you are attached? Pretty bad either way.

It's part of a bigger joined-at-the-hip problem... I get doing shit together, but there's a limit! Why follow him/her to something you are not interested in or participating in? Oh how I don't miss Thursday afternoons of yore when nine ladies out of 10 at Play de Record were just there as valets.

You can't help but think this type of woman has NO outside interests except her boyfriend, which is pretty sad!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I have honestly never seen a girl digging for records that I'd want to hit on...at least none that I can recall. All these years of record shopping and nada.

Haha! Ouch...

I still get asked if I'm buying records for someone - it happened in two spots just his past week in NYC...mind-boggling for this particular city in this particular century if you ask me.

Maybe they are trying to not-so-suavely ask if you are attached? Pretty bad either way.

Haha - That didn't even occur to me! I was too busy feeling insulted!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    My buddy Glen tried to holler at some girls via PM to invite them to a dig-trip but was unfortunately dissed
    More records 4 us!

You joke, but this did actually happen. More records for you and less scary and clueless propositions to get into a car with a guy that I have never met before for a roadtrip for me, if you please.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    wow how creepy!
    and i am sure that some junkdealer/store guys have had their share of remarks as well
    and you DJ so it can get even worse

I've always say it we've got it easy...i walk to the bus stop, ride get to the subway get off,get in the elevator
    walk at night no problem

girls, get looks,whistles,remarks on the regular and unfortunately that's the least of their concerns

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    Took a girl to a record store just this past Saturday! Didn't stay too long, though.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    Plus I always figutred if I go to store with a first date and I see a dope record I want, Im blowing all my date money on it and walking home...the date is now officially over.

girls, get looks,whistles,remarks on the regular and unfortunately that's the least of their concerns

Oh, they love it.

I have honestly never seen a girl digging for records that I'd want to hit on...at least none that I can recall. All these years of record shopping and nada.

I've met girls in record spots, but they were never "diggers" per se, just regular ole consumers. And when it came time to make conversation, I didn't get all collector-specific; if she likes Otis Redding, cool, we have something to talk about. But I wasn't like "gee, I have this old budget album on the Somerset label that has four of his early pre-Volt sides along with other tracks from a nobody named Little Joe Curtis."

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    instrumental dylan
    = will rock the the D&B community forever! call Snaper.

instrumental dylan
    = will rock the the D&B community forever! call Snaper.

better add your own percussion, because IIRC "Turkey Chase" was drummerless

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I bring girls to record stores with me as a tactic.

Waxtrax related.

- spidey

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

It happens in the Williamsburg store on a daily basis.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Seeing girls you'd want to hit on, or dudes hitting on girls in the record store?

I don't think I've ever seen any successful (key word, here) game laid down inside the shop's confines, but there are certainly foxy girls walking in here on a fairly frequent basis.

I'm saying, dudes need to quit trying to impress chicks with their superscientifical hipsteur-speak when merely a quick whistle would suffice.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Seeing girls you'd want to hit on, or dudes hitting on girls in the record store?

I don't think I've ever seen any successful (key word, here) game laid down inside the shop's confines, but there are certainly foxy girls walking in here on a fairly frequent basis.

Seeing girls I'd want to hit on if I wasn't the owner and 20 years older.

As for the other, I've certainly seen the game played in-store, but can't vouch for the outcome.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Seeing girls I'd want to hit on if I wasn't the owner and married and 10[/b] years older.

Oh yeah no doubt.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I took an ex to a record store once and she just sat around all pissed off while I was pulling up garbage.

I took my current girlfriend to a record store a few months into our relationship but that was to dump like 75% of my records