dudes that take their dates to record stores

Comments

• Ok guys nobody said girls don't like records.

Lots of girls come into the shop and buy records, sometimes even with their boyfriends.

What Tom is talking about is dudes who take their first date disinterested chick in, trying to floss their knowledge and coolness and they don't really know shit about shit.

Not to mention the fact that if your record collectro nerdism is all you have in your arsenal to impress a first date, you're on the road to FAIL...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Dudes think you're joking. That "I prefer instrumental Dylan" shit was a real quote.

I read that, thought "Naaaahhhh....", and carried on reading the thread. That's right up there with the a&r guy who called a friend of mine after a contact number for Nick Drake because he thought he'd make a good guest vocalist for Basement Jaxx.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

This is great, I strongly suspect that I too like his instrumental albums more.

C'mon now, fellas - I know his voice isn't to everyone's taste, but how seriously would you take someone who declared Dylan's instrumentals (which are clearly few and far between in any event) to be his best work?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    these arent record dudes... record dudes, at least the kind that can get a girl to go out with them, know better than to bring her to the shop. i'm talking about cornballs who are trying to look interesting by commenting on everything in the bins. there's been many times where i had to stop myself from saying, "your man's a midget!"

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    But. Im. Cool.

look at me, im 'crate digging' through old vinyls.

Im so bohemian.

do you like my scarf?

my beanie is worn on a jaunty angle.

ill blog about it later.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Dudes think you're joking. That "I prefer instrumental Dylan" shit was a real quote.

I read that, thought "Naaaahhhh....", and carried on reading the thread. That's right up there with the a&r guy who called a friend of mine after a contact number for Nick Drake because he thought he'd make a good guest vocalist for Basement Jaxx.

Pure idiocy. He's far better suited to work with someone like Zero 7.

I wonder how crushed the guy was when he found out he was dead, like he'd missed his crowning a&r achievement by 36 years.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    the best are the dudes that flip through the bins and tell their date "I have that" and basically tell her they have every record in the store. Then throw out "facts"...I dont work at the shop anymore, but the other dude that works there told me this guy came in a couple weeks ago and did the whole "I have that" routine and said, "I have every soul record made...you know there were only 700-800 soul records made, black people didnt have a lot of money so most artists couldnt afford to put out records"

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Dilla instrumentals??

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    "I have every soul record made...you know there were only 700-800 soul records made, black people didnt have a lot of money so most artists couldnt afford to put out records"

Haha! Where's the endgame in that, though? If the goal is to impress her enough to keep going out with you/start a relationship, isn't she going to eventually get to your apartment and wonder where all the soul records are?

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts

Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing. I should work in A&R. Anybody got this Tim Buckleys email? I gotta hook him up with some Turin Brakes fiyah.

Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing. I should work in A&R. Anybody got this Tim Buckleys email? I gotta hook him up with some Turin Brakes fiyah.

I hear Tim Buckley has a son, Jeff, who's pretty good himself, so you might want to give him a shot. If he's not down to do it, he should at least be able to tell you where his old man's at.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I'd wager that Bob Dylan Instrumental dude took his lady home for an afternoon delight. He probably beat down his date with several hours' worth of Richard Linklater rapid-fire BS that she succumbed to his charms before the dinner bell. Those types of assholes always get ass just because they are so persistent.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Among other places that day, I took a date visiting from out-of-town to Waterloo Records (by her request)...and while there, I found a copy of Les Demerle's Spectrum for a dollar. When I told her that I could easily flip it for $80, I could see in her eyes that she totally wanted to F*ck me.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    the best are the dudes that flip through the bins and tell their date "I have that" and basically tell her they have every record in the store. Then throw out "facts"...I dont work at the shop anymore, but the other dude that works there told me this guy came in a couple weeks ago and did the whole "I have that" routine and said, "I have every soul record made...you know there were only 700-800 soul records made, black people didnt have a lot of money so most artists couldnt afford to put out records"

This is the SECOND most common scenario I see in record stores, re: guys and their dates. The first one has the girls looking bored while the man shops. But if the girl is the LEAST bit interested in the vinyl, all of a sudden the male half turns into Mr. Freelance Music Historian. Nothing wrong with this, if done right, but seems like the more these guys try to flex, the more "off" their facts are.

I remember once being in a store when they were playing The 1969 Warner-Reprise Record Show and the male half was verbally annotating each and every song to his ladyfriend: "'Stone Free,' that's a really good Hendrix track that only came out on a greatest hits album...this Kinks song was from their Arthur LP...can you believe this is Fats Domino singing a Beatles song?" And so it went.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    while there, I found a copy of Les Demerle's Spectrum for a dollar.

PM SENT

• Options
    But. Im. Cool.

Im so bohemian.

do you like my scarf?

ill blog about it later.

hahah

so true. But in these parts of the northern hinterland where I reside, it's black skinny jeans, black over-sized nerdy frames, hi-tops, hoody under the tight leather bomber.
    Scarves are optional, but always of the kefiyeh (sp?) variety.

And let's not forget the ironic moustache and modern mullet.

But honestly, as douchey as the douches are, at least they are doing their part in keeping vinyl alive.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    You clearly aren't talking about record-dudes, because he was WITH A GIRL.

Secondly, instrumental Dylan sounds like it might actually be palatable

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    hoody under the tight leather bomber.
    I am not, nor will I ever be mad at this look. Some trends are trendy for A reason

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

FAIL.

Being a record dude is not kryptonite to women as evidenced by the high % of men on this board in relationships or married.

Can't speak for comic book dudes though.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    my simple, overused joke seems to have hit a nerve

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Ok, but doesn't the idiot girl who actually falls for this deserve the douchebag she's with?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    what i like about these guys though is while he is talking his girl's earoff about a some common bullshit
    i dig through the whole store and get to the listening station first
    i literally had a guy pull a record i wanted but as i left the register with many (better) finds i see him pointing to liner notes while girl rolls her eyes

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

just cause he's with a girl doesn't mean she was his in the first place

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

FAIL.

Being a record dude is not kryptonite to women as evidenced by the high % of men on this board in relationships or married.

Can't speak for comic book dudes though.

THERE IS NO SEX IN THE CHAMPAGNE ROOM

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    But. Im. Cool.

Im so bohemian.

do you like my scarf?

ill blog about it later.

hahah

so true. But in these parts of the northern hinterland where I reside, it's black skinny jeans, black over-sized nerdy frames, hi-tops.....and reading the shit out if liner notes while standing in front of the same record bin for an hour

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I thought the game was to NOT be excited at the record store with your chick? Like let her pull a clean copy of Giant Steps and be all "meh" about it and every other record she pulled. Blaseeee Blaseeee!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Ok, but doesn't the idiot girl who actually falls for this deserve the douchebag she's with?

Sure - but she's ruining it for the rest of us!
    I still get asked if I'm buying records for someone - it happened in two spots just his past week in NYC...mind-boggling for this particular city in this particular century if you ask me.

It's part of a bigger joined-at-the-hip problem... I get doing shit together, but there's a limit! Why follow him/her to something you are not interested in or participating in? Oh how I don't miss Thursday afternoons of yore when nine ladies out of 10 at Play de Record were just there as valets.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Sure - but she's ruining it for the rest of us!
    I still get asked if I'm buying records for someone - it happened in two spots just his past week in NYC...mind-boggling for this particular city in this particular century if you ask me.

U get that Terrance Trent D'Arby for me?