Question for Strutters in their 30s

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited August 2005 in Music Talk
Who was the guy in your high school who could play "Eruption"?In my school, it was my buddy Tim Nunez. He also held the distinction of having the longest hair in school and being able to pick out Yngwie Malmsteen solos by ear. It was so depressing to me to watch him play. Made me wanna quit every time. He went on to win a statewide guitar solo contest in 1989 and was awarded a custom Robin guitar. I think he's a lawyer now.

Comments

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I'm in my 40's but there was one kid in my high school named Paul Minotto who could play the whole solo in "Communication Breakdown" and whose band used to cover "Muffin Man" by Frank Zappa. Kid went to Berkeley in Boston and last I heard was a studio musician out in LA.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i had a japanese exchange student in 1990, kan sadamoto, from osaka. he had the worst hygiene (bo/breath), style, and luck with women of anyone i had ever known... but he could play every dio, rainbow, slayer, anthrax, and cacophony solo BETTER than they were recorded. i think he got into heroin.

• huh? i dont know what youre talking about but my hommie scooter could do all them dances like the nike and the smurf and even knew the electric slide when that was still a cool dance and not some country line dancing bullshit. i, on the other hand, could not dance nor did i have mtv or anything to go by like when mary j. blige was popular and everyone was doing them biker short things i didnt know what was up. oh, and my mom did all my clothes shopping so i still rocked toughskins and the wack shit while most of fresno was already 2 years behind with the bongo acid washed and the z. cavarrichis

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Jeff Stein. aka Jesus Crest He was called this because, we went to private school and we were required to have our hair cut above the collar, so he rolled his hair up above his collar and put toothpaste in it to keep it there. Was called the "the Trooper" in 8th grade due to his ability to play the solos on that song.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I know a dude down here that's a extremely talented guitarist that used be able mimic any style(rock,jazz,clasical etc) of guitar solo's i played him,he attended the school of music here in Jamaica.

he went on to strum muted minor chords in various reggae backing bands i think he plays with Morgan Heritage now,i dont think he's ever gotten the change to showcase his soloing talent in any of the different settings(in the studio or the stage).

He once showed me this solo from a whitesnake song where he used his pinky finger to adjust the volume knob on every note he strummed.so it didn't even sound like a guitar line but more like a violin.I think he might of did this in conjunction with a effects pedal.It's a shame the world hasn't gotten a chance to hear his talent.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    GREAT TOPIC

Jeff Horton was the man. Low key southern stoner dude with late-70s Tony Iommi black hair helmet and matching Fu Manchu 'stache who was easily the best guitar player in school.

In 9th grade I teamed up with him and this new waver guy (with blonde bangs who loved Simple Minds & Thompson Twins) on keyboards to form a band to play a party. I played bass, and the band was rounded out by these two well-meaning but thick-as-a-brick redneck guys with high school 'staches (drums and vocals) whose favorite bands were Motley Crue and .... wait for it... Duran Duran.

When it came time for the party, we set up, all of us were ready to rock out... and then the goofier of our hayseed Jay & Silent Bob duo chickened out of singing because he was "nervous."

Partygoers snickered at us as we tried to eke out a half-assed - and now instrumental - version of Dio's "Rainbow in the Dark."

This incident has been blocked from my memory until now.

Thanks R*ss!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    in high school the shred meister was a dude named Richard. He had parties in his house with a "trip room" long curly red hair and shitty teeth.. kinda like a metal mick hucknel.

anyhow he could play eruption but he was more into slayer.

my homey Yan from quebec can slay on Panama though.. we were just in the studio last week and i had him lace me with the riffs a few times just for fun.

my riff's claim to fame was the ability to play Am I Evil from Kill Em All

i was never all that good at soloing all those hammerons and whammy shits... iommi was more my man... i used to know all the tab to we sold our soul for rock and roll back to front yo!

i can still play most of the riffs from the whole master of puppets record from memory.

• I haven't even owned a guitar in damn near 10 years, but my claim to fame was that I could play "Tush" by ZZ Top from start to finish, slide solo and all.

It's no "Icarus's Dream Suite Opus 4" by Yngwie, but it sure is funky.

I could also play all of "Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits.

ALL MY GUITAR NERDS, THROW YO' HANDS UP!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    at one point in my youth.. i think age 15 my mom signed me up for group guitar leasons.

a complete motley crew of dirt bags if ever there was one.. one dude didn't even have all the fingers on his picking hand.. he was exempt from all soloing!

anyhow the teacher was this amazing rocker dude named IVOR. he looked like mark farner from grand funk but with curlier hair... total giant, lany dude with huge white reebok hi tops with the floppy tongues hanging out and pegged leg acid wash jeans.

anyhow he was the king of the local cover band scene at the time.. his band was called Gorilla

1st classes leason was Tush by ZZ Top.

• Miles Tackett

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Guy called Chris Franck now in Da Lata with Patrick Forge

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Guy called Chris Franck now in Da Lata with Patrick Forge

Does Da Lata still do stuff? I thought that was a strictly late 90's thing.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    high school 'staches

This would be a great name for a band or possibly a record store.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    My uncle could play "Eruption". By the time I was in intermediate school, it was all about Dio-era Black Sabbath. By high school, it was Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Exodus, Death Angel, and S.O.D. At that point, Van Halen was all about "Why Can't This Be Love" and "Best Of Both Worlds".

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Not to brag but I could play both "Eruption" and "Heartbreaker" in high school. All on a strat too with a shitty Peavey amp and little delay.. fuck those Ibanez's. They made two hand tapping too easy.

Serously though "Eruption" and "Heartbreaker" were a piece of cake. Try reinacting any Don Dokken or nuno Bettencourt solo.

Saying LOL Floyd Rose Tremelo

Floyd Rose Tremelo
    Floyd Rose Tremelo
    Floyd Rose Tremelo
    Floyd Rose Tremelo
    Floyd Rose Tremelo
    Floyd Rose Tremelo
    Floyd Rose Tremelo
    Floyd Rose Tremelo
    Floyd Rose Tremelo
    Floyd Rose Tremelo

Really though, fuck a Floyd Rose Tremelo. All them allen wrenches and whatnot.

• Raj....

Spell check is your friend.

Raj....

Spell check is your friend.

I know you got stories, son.

Not to brag but I could play both "Eruption" and "Heartbreaker" in high school. All on a strat too with a shitty Peavey amp and little delay.. fuck those Ibanez's. They made two hand tapping too easy.

Brag you must! I never bothered to play guitar, I was too obsessed with the drums. I loved the sounds that came out of a guitar, and in that respect I can make noise like Thurston Moore. But as far as wanting to play, it was the drums first and foremost.

• snosno 332 Posts
    fuck those Ibanez's. They made down-tuned power chords[/b] too easy.

GET READY FOR HYPERSPEED!!![/b]

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    This dude in my music class at high school called Jarrod Kidd could play all the Metallica, VanHalen, Priest, Maiden etc. etc. & make it look simple. He took a day off school once & I phoned him up & asked what he had been doing all day. He said he just got the And Justice For All tab book & had learnt it start to finish. I was so bummed that he could play all the solos so easy & it was real hard for me. He came around a couple years after we finished school while I was on holiday from university & we jammed a bit on Gary Moore's Still Got The Blues & he said he had always thought it was cool how I knew all the different chords & could just read them from the symbols & also how I could just make up my own cool solos to fit tunes. I was pretty stoked when he told me that. I haven't seen him in about 7 years, last I heard he was working at a sawmill.

OH SHIT!
    THE GREAT KAT!!!
    NOSTALGIA ON BLAST!

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i dont think anybody in my high school could play that, but while in 10th grade, my buddies had a hardcore/punk/?? band called The Smegmatics. song titles like "nuke-a-cide", "analcore" etc... dark, aggro, sludgy black flag "my war" type shit. like early corrosion of conformity but no one could sing, and hardly anyone could play.

anyway, they werent terribly accomplished and only had like 8 songs (though, originals!) so theyd end their set with sabbaths "paranoid" to fill out the set. they asked this guy named howie simon (not our school but he was a shredding tapper dude, probably the best (only?) yingwie freak in town) to come up and solo on it one night (they only had about 5 shows ever) at some bar (how were we even in there at age 14?), basically because we knew he was good on guitar, and frankly, they needed the assist.

anyway, Howie's a.w.o.l. during "paranoid" and we assume he blew us off, but then he bursts from the mens room with his pointy guitar, with his jean jacket, 'long' tight rock shorts, and best of all red bandannas tied around his (whitey-perm-fro) head, and ankles, and one elbow and knee?!?!? haha! say what? he looked like the lead guy in loverboy only more goofy. ...and he proceeds to rock the most pointless self indulgent rediculously over the top and needless guitar solo ive heard in my life, for literally about 64 bars of the song, like 8 minutes long. all over the most black flaggy version of paranoid you ever heard, played by a trio of scrubby little suburban punks with zero fashion sense. the patrons of that bar were...confused to say the least. ah, memories.

• Guy called Chris Franck now in Da Lata with Patrick Forge

Does Da Lata still do stuff? I thought that was a strictly late 90's thing.

Yup. I see Patrick from time to time and Da Lata are still pretty active... the was a new album a year or two ago, and a pretty heavy cover of Joao Bosco's "Ronco da Cuica" more recently.