Soul/Garage 45s from Greenville Mississippi

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
Seems like an interesting little family of labels/releases from there in the 60s. Here's what I got so far, please add any more info if you can.Greenville, Mississippi - Soul RecordsLynn???s Record Dist./Reginald???s Records416 Nelson St476 Muscadine StReginald1402 ??? Virgil Griffin ??? I???m On My Way/Love Will Never Die1403 - Virgil Griffin ??? If You Can???t Go Don???t/A Forgotten LoverOdex133-1711 - The Premiers - Speaking Of You / Funky Monkey1041 - Barbara Jean & The Lyrics - While You're Out Shopping / You Don't Love Me (No More) 1042 - Fe-Fi-Four Plus 2 - Mr. Sweet Stuff / Pick Up Your Head (garage)1043 ??? Vikki Styles ??? Tears Won???t Stop Falling/If I Didn???t Love You1044 - Alice Thomas - A Girl's Tears / I'm Coming Home 1067 - Years People / Frank Tenella - Funky Drop (Part 1) / You Came Along And Changed My Whole Life And Made It Worth Living Leno1532 ??? Vikki Styles ??? Mark My Words Love Will Never Die/Without Your Love I Can???t Make ItBig Beat133-1297 - Larry Foster - Funky Belly1017 ??? The Kidds ??? Straighten Up & Fly Right/See What My Love Means (garage)

Comments

• Seems like an interesting little family of labels/releases from there in the 60s. Here's what I got so far, please add any more info if you can.

Greenville, Mississippi - Soul Records

Lynn???s Record Dist./Reginald???s Records
    416 Nelson St
    476 Muscadine St

Reginald
    1402 ??? Virgil Griffin ??? I???m On My Way/Love Will Never Die
    1403 - Virgil Griffin ??? If You Can???t Go Don???t/A Forgotten Lover

Odex
    133 - The Premiers - Speaking Of You / Funky Monkey
    1041 - Barbara Jean & The Lyrics - While You're Out Shopping / You Don't Love Me (No More)
    1042 - Fe-Fi-Four Plus 2 - Mr. Sweet Stuff / Pick Up Your Head (garage)
    1043 ??? Vikki Styles ??? Tears Won???t Stop Falling/If I Didn???t Love You
    1044 - Alice Thomas - A Girl's Tears / I'm Coming Home
    1067 - Years People / Frank Tenella - Funky Drop (Part 1) / You Came Along And Changed My Whole Life And Made It Worth Living

Leno
    1532 ??? Vikki Styles ??? Mark My Words Love Will Never Die/Without Your Love I Can???t Make It

Big Beat
    1017 ??? The Kidds ??? Straighten Up & Fly Right/See What My Love Means (garage)

I have that Kidds 45, and a funk 45 by a guy named Larry Foster called "Funky Belly', also on Big Beat...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    cool, I'll add the Larry Foster info, thanks

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Slim Willis Band ??? I sayed that (Reginald)

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Chick Willis had a couple of Reginald releases:
    - "Mr. Moon Man"/"You Win Again"
    - "The Way You're Stoopin' Down (I Can Deal With That)"/"My Bowlegged Woman"

There's a single I have on Little Lynn:
    - W. WILLIAMS & SONNY WASH - "Don't Lie To Me Lover"/W. WILLIAMS - "MIssissippi Round House"

(I believe Big Beat may have released "Mississippi R.H." as "Muhammad Ali Soul Dance")

There was also a harmonica player named Little Eddie who had a single or two on Big Beat...I'll try to fill in details later, as they don't come to mind at the moment.

• Soul Lee I Need You/I Lost Someone I wish I Had on Reginald 135-145?
    Aries Girl Your So Fine / ? on ? 70's modern boogie
    Little Eddie There'll Ba A Day When You'll Be Glad To Have Me Around//Wonder What Makes My Way So Hard 45 on Big Beat
    Moe Little Lynn and big beat stuff that I can not remember

• Little Eddie There'll Be A Day When You'll Be Glad To Have Me Around//Wonder What Makes My Way So Hard 45 Big Beat 133 BB 1267

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Terrel Records

6178 Johnny Little John-Cant Sit Still/what in the world

Cool thanks for the info, looks like these guys had a pretty major thing going down in Greenville for a few years.

617 Nelson St, Greenville
    476 Muscadine St, Greenville
    551 N.Muscadine St, Greenville
    VH&L Circle Dist., Chicago
    Together Records, PO Box 7155, Atlanta, Georgia.

Reginald
    ? - Slim Willis Band ??? I Sayed That/Wine Me Up Baby
    133-1487 - Chick Willis ??? Mr Moon Man/You Win Again
    133-1488 ??? Soul Lee ??? I Need You/I Lost Someone I Wish I Had
    9747 - Chick Willis - The Way You???re Stoopin??? Down/My Bowlegged Woman
    556 ??? Little Eddie ??? The Skrooch/Teddy Bear Blues

Odex
    133-1711 - The Premiers - Speaking Of You / Funky Monkey
    1041 - Barbara Jean & The Lyrics - While You're Out Shopping / You Don't Love Me (No More)
    1067 - Years People / Frank Tenella - Funky Drop (Part 1) / You Came Along And Changed My Whole Life And Made It Worth Living

Leno
    1532 ??? Vikki Styles ??? Mark My Words Love Will Never Die/Without Your Love I Can???t Make It

Big Beat
    133-1267 - Little Eddie ??? There'll Be A Day When You'll Be Glad To Have Me Around/Wonder What Makes My Way So Hard
    133-1268 ??? Chick Willis ??? So Hurt
    133-1276 - Little Eddie ??? Listen Baby Please Be Good To Me/I Don???t Want Nobody Digging In My Potato Field (Atlanta, Georgia address)
    133-1297 ??? Larry Foster ??? Funky Belly
    133-1376 ??? L Johnson Jr ??? You Gotta Have Soul/I Been Down So Long
    133-9747 ??? Chick Willis ??? I Can Deal With That/My Bowlegged Woman (Chicago Dist. Address)
    1017 ??? The Kidds ??? Straighten Up & Fly Right/See What My Love Means (garage)
    ? - ? - Muhammad Ali Soul Dance/?

Little Lynn
    133-569 - W. Williams & Sonny Wash - Don't Lie To Me Lover/W. WILLIAMS - Mississippi Round House

Unknown
    ? - Aries ??? Girl You???re So Fine/? (70s boogie/modern)

Terrel
    6178 - Johnny Little John - Cant Sit Still/What In The World

Markeda
    133-9747 ??? Chick Willis ??? I Can Deal With That/My Bowlegged Woman (Chicago Dist. Address)

Reginald
    556 ??? Little Eddie ??? The Skrooch

The other side is "Teddy Bear Blues"

Big Beat
    133-1267 - Little Eddie ??? There'll Be A Day When You'll Be Glad To Have Me Around/Wonder What Makes My Way So Hard
    133-1276 - Little Eddie ??? Listen Baby Please Be Good To Me/I Don???t Want Nobody Digging In My Potato Field (Atlanta, Georgia address)

And here's another one on Big Beat (don't have the catalog # at hand, sorry!):
    L. Johnson - You Gotta Have Soul/I Been Down So Long

cheers, updated.

• Aries is on Milestone AMS-100

Delta Production Association, 604 E Clay, Greenville

Reginald
    ? - Slim Willis Band ??? I Sayed That/Wine Me Up Baby
    133-1487 - Chick Willis ??? Mr Moon Man/You Win Again
    133-1488 ??? Soul Lee ??? I Need You/I Lost Someone I Wish I Had
    556 ??? Little Eddie ??? The Skrooch/Teddy Bear Blues

Odex
    133-1711 - The Premiers - Speaking Of You / Funky Monkey

Leno

Big Beat
    133-1273 ??? Vicki Williams/Henvick & His Gang ??? Your Love Makes Me Stay When I Know I Should Go/Do The Breakdown
    133-1287 ??? Vicki Williams ??? The Best Of Luck To You/You???re In The Army But I Wish You Were Here
    133-1299 ??? Vicki Williams ??? Do I Make Myself Clear/Best Of Luck To You
    133-1376 ??? L Johnson Jr ??? You Gotta Have Soul/I Been Down So Long
    ? ??? Vic Lee - ?/?
    ? ??? The Cherries - ?/?

Little Lynn
    133-569 - W. Williams & Sonny Wash - Don't Lie To Me Lover/W. Williams - Mississippi Round House

Milestone
    100 - Aries ??? Girl You???re So Fine/? (70s boogie/modern)

Terrell
    6178 - Johnny Little John - Cant Sit Still/What In The World
    6179 - Johnny Nix - I got my brand on you/Match box
    6277 - Pops Porter - Get away from the door/Please if you can't come in let me sit on your porch

Markeda
    133-9748 - Gene Marshall and the Ghetto Sons - It happens to everyone/One shirt
    ? ??? Triplett Twins - ?/?

Della
    1215 - The Cherries & The Rhythm Kings ??? Make My Life Worth Living/You Know You Gonna Need Me

Morgan Park
    7711 ??? Vicki Williams ??? Help Me Make Up My Mind (Best Of Luck To You)/Do I Make Myself Clear

Bar-Bare
    1265 ??? The Sheltons ??? Find It/I Who Have Nothing
    ? ??? OD Williams - ?/?

Greens III

• Bar-Bare
    ? ??? OD Williams - ?/?

I just happen to have a copy of that OD Williams 45, also called 'Funky Belly'

cool, what's the flip?

• cool, what's the flip?

I do not remember. I'll see if I can dig it out tomorrow.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The Cherries' song on Big Beat is "Don't Know Much About Love." It's very worth picking up. The flip is something like "Why Don't You Love Me And Treat Me Right" or something like that. I'll have to dig it out of the racks to find the exact title and cat #.

The Slim Willis Band is unbelievably good.

thanks

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    133-1269 on The Cherries, and the flip title is correct, I think.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Slim Willis # is 335

Also:

Reginald

1401 Johnny Larand - Come On Home / ???
    1411 Trademarques - I Can Set You Free / Free Your Fears
    1489 The Dungall Sisters - I'm Your Puppet On A String / ???

1487's full title is "Mr. Moon Man I???ve Come To Bring You Some"

Big Beat

1018 Vic Lee: I'm Coming Home Soon / Mini Skirt

Terrell 6178's full titile is "What In The World (You Gonna Do)"

The actual title of the Pops Porter single listed above is "Get Away From My Door Woman"/"Please If I Can't Come In Let Me Sit On Your Porch."

Porter had another release on Terrell, titled something like "Hey Baby Put Your Big Legs Upside The Wall Let Me See If You Have Bad Blood" (parts one and two).

I like the fact that many of these singles have run-on sentences for titles. Is that a Mississippi quirk? Or did that just make it easier to ask for in stores?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    "Hey Baby Put Your Big Legs Upside The Wall Let Me See If You Have Bad Blood" (parts one and two).

"Hey Baby Put Your Big Legs Upside The Wall Let Me See If You Have Bad Blood" (parts one and two).

I was really disappointed that the only thing good about the OTHER Pops Porter 45 were the song titles. Other than that, for a record that came out on a Mississippi indie label, it was rather undistinguished.

I have higher hopes for that "Big Legs, Bad Blood" single...

yeah, that one sounds like a hoot

Updated, I'm beginning to think there was a lot more to this operation than I initially thought, how many are in that Reginald gospel series for example??

Delta Production Association, 604 E Clay, Greenville

Reginald
    335 - Slim Willis Band ??? I Sayed That/Wine Me Up Baby
    555/556 ??? Little Eddie ??? The Skrooch/Teddy Bear Blues
    1401 - Johnny Larand - Come On Home / The Eel
    1411 - Trademarques - I Can Set You Free / Free Your Fears
    1487 - Chick Willis ??? Mr Moon Man I???ve Come To Bring You Some/You Win Again
    1488 ??? Soul Lee ??? I Need You/I Lost Someone I Wish I Had
    1489 - The Dungill Sisters - I'm Your Puppet On A String /People Are getting Worried Tina
    8670 ??? Eva-Larse ??? Won???t Someone Help This Poor Lost Soul/The Man Does Something To Me
    38701 ??? Heavenly Kings Singers ??? Going Back With Jesus/If You Wake Up In The Morning

Odex
    1711 - The Premiers - Speaking Of You / Funky Monkey

Leno

Big Beat
    1018 - Vic Lee - I'm Coming Home Soon/Minit Skirt
    1267 - Little Eddie ??? There'll Be A Day When You'll Be Glad To Have Me Around/Wonder What Makes My Way So Hard
    1268 ??? Chick Willis ??? So Hurt
    1269 ??? The Cherries ??? Don???t Know Much About Love/Why Don???t You Love Me & Treat Me Right Because I Been Loving You For A Long Long Time
    1273 ??? Vicki Williams/Henvick & His Gang ??? Your Love Makes Me Stay When I Know I Should Go/Do The Breakdown
    1276 - Little Eddie ??? Listen Baby Please Be Good To Me/I Don???t Want Nobody Digging In My Potato Field (Atlanta, Georgia address)
    1287 ??? Vicki Williams ??? The Best Of Luck To You/You???re In The Army But I Wish You Were Here
    1297 ??? Larry Foster ??? Funky Belly
    1299 ??? Vicki Williams ??? Do I Make Myself Clear/Best Of Luck To You
    1376 ??? L Johnson Jr ??? You Gotta Have Soul/I Been Down So Long
    9747 ??? Chick Willis ??? I Can Deal With That/My Bowlegged Woman (Chicago Dist. Address)

Little Lynn
    569 - W. Williams & Sonny Wash - Don't Lie To Me Lover/W. Williams - Mississippi Round House

Milestone
    100 - Aries ??? Girl You???re So Fine/? (70s boogie/modern)

Terrell
    6178 - Johnny Little John - Cant Sit Still/What In The World (You Gonna Do)
    6179 - Johnny Nix - I got my brand on you/Match box
    6277 - Pops Porter - Get Away From My Door Woman/Please If I Can't Come In Let Me Sit On Your Porch
    ? ??? Pops Porter - Hey Baby Put Your Big Legs Upside The Wall Let Me See If You Have Bad Blood

Markeda
    9747 ??? Chick Willis ??? I Can Deal With That/My Bowlegged Woman (Chicago Dist. Address)
    9748 - Gene Marshall and the Ghetto Sons - It happens to everyone/One shirt
    ? ??? Triplett Twins - ?/?

Della
    1215 - The Cherries & The Rhythm Kings ??? Make My Life Worth Living/You Know You Gonna Need Me

Morgan Park
    7711 ??? Vicki Williams ??? Help Me Make Up My Mind (Best Of Luck To You)/Do I Make Myself Clear

Bar-Bare
    1266 ??? OD Williams ??? Funky Belly/?

Greens III

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    1489 - The Dungill Sisters - I'm Your Puppet On A String /People Are getting Worried Tina

Is that B-side referencing what I think it is?

It would be next level if it were, I haven't heard it.

It would be next level
    if it were, I haven't heard it.

See what I mean about them tripped-out titles? I mean, soul songs used to have long descriptive titles all the time - even in the eighties - but the Big Beat/Terrell/etc. family took that concept to the limit.

I'm almost scared to think what their gospel titles look like:

"If You Don't Stop To Pray, The Lord Will Strike You Down So You'd Better Repent"

(I made that up, so don't go adding that to the discog!)

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The O.D. Williams flip on Bar-Bare 1266 is "I'm Moving On Out Of Your Life"

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Bar-Bare 1264 Leroy King - My Darling/ Tennesse Waltz

The O.D. Williams on Bar-Bare 1266 is "I'm Moving On Out Of Your Life"

Hey, Luck...is that pic sleeve in your avatar from those Greenville labels?

I mean, really - "I Had It Hard But I Made It Over."