Burger King stay classy

2»

Comments

• Shouldn't there be mayonnaise shooting out of that sandwich, for the people that don't quite get it???

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Most fucked up commercial I've ever seen:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I thought the Quiznos ads were kind of funny when they
    were running, the whole HAL oven schtick and the idea of
    being seduced by an appliance was decent absurdist humor.

The BK ad is just tasteless.

• thats either full on desperation or a brilliant ad!

i think the idea is to get you to salivate over the pic and then make some sort of connection to the food (at least that what vance packard argued in "the hidden persuaders").

the brilliant part is that they are not even pretending to be subtle about it- and now we're talking about- which has got to be one of the main purposes of this agit-prop. when is the last time a giant corporation just totally went for it like this? my guess is that they have an entire media campaign planned: roll-out, news stories, inevitable outrage, apologies, etc.

on the other hand, i guess that could be a sign of desperation- that they need to be more extreme and titillating in order to break through the collective din.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Damn that white castle ad is foul. Anyone eat that crap ? Made me barf in my mouth a little..

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

That BK ad could be from a 72' Playboy ad and we would be ravin' about it. I like the ad myself.

• That BK ad could be from a 72' Playboy ad and we would be ravin' about it. I like the ad myself.

What is on that sandwich...is that some kind of cheesesteak deal?

I'm with Boo-urns. BK is like "F*ck y'all" pretty much, and it's kinda funny.

• Longburger.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts

That BK ad could be from a 72' Playboy ad and we would be ravin' about it. I like the ad myself.

I see what you are saying here and I love my old Playboys for a reason, but it's not 1972 now so the shock value or suggestive innuendo is absent. It's so blatant that it's Unsexy to the fullest.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I see what you are saying here and I love my old Playboys for a reason, but it's not 1972 now so the shock value or suggestive innuendo is absent. It's so blatant that it's Unsexy to the fullest.

if anybody is still listening, here is the whole 72' collection, sorry gals and gents:

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

Ok, then it is worth noting...

This add never ran in the US; it was an Singaporean ad. So, does that change it, given that the audience was different?

Just throwing that out there... I mean, i we're throwing the years in there, it is only right to throw in location.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    If they came up with the slogan first then they had to include a picture of a person with their mind being blown, the sandwich, and the slogan, or it wouldn't have made enough sense. Woman with sandwich with no words might be even more suggestive; woman with slogan and no sandwich might have less impact; sandwich with slogan and no person would have less impact; man instead of woman would be less agreeable to their target audience (men). Though tasteless, they used the most reasonable iteration given the slogan.